Did you know about the giant Japanese Spider Crab?

• http://photoweb.lodestone.org/photo/506?res=5&lang=eo

These Japanese spider crabs can grow up to 15 feet wide! Yikes! They live in the deep trenches of Japans coast. Imagine how they would taste with butter sauce that is if they could ever fit in a damm pot!

This demonstrates IMO why dinosaurs had the ability to roam the earth… Way back in those days the gravity of the earth was about 1/2 of what it is now, so the skeleton could support such weight. IN the sea such giant things are possible among other factors the buoyancy of water allows such monsters to exist.I have reading reports of Giant Squids measuring 175 feet, but i have yet to find pictures of that.

• @Imperious:

. Way back in those days the gravity of the earth was about 1/2 of what it is now, so the skeleton could support such weight.

WHAT ???

Waves of (could be considered a personal insult),  (could be considered a personal insult) and (could be considered a personal insult) leave the screen.

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAARRRRRRRRRRRRRRRGHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH.

• That is the UGLIEST damn thing I’ve ever seen…

• How were the laws of gravity circumvented a few million years ago such that the earth’s weight was only 1/2 of what it is now?  Did it gain 100% of its mass over the last few million years?
    I am not trying to change the topic, but you cited a “fact” that really needs to be addressed.

• Also, AFAIK, there is no physical reason why they couldn’t roam the earth today.  Their skeletons, muscles, etc. are properly designed to support their weight under 1g of gravity.

• I wonder how those taste…

• Probably pretty awful.  Giant squid evidently tastes terrible because of the build-up of ammonia in their system from having to live in a deep sea environment.  The crab probably has that same problem as well, in addition to (I believe - please correct me if I’m wrong) living around sulfur vents.

• Dear friends I thought you all knew this from high school science?

The gravity of the earth was quite different from today. Ill support my claim to make you happy. Hey falk i am not sure what your rebuttal was ?

• Could you IL? I’ve never heard such a thing.

It’s got to be hard to prove since we really don’t understand exactly how gravity works.

• Imagine how they would taste with butter sauce that is if they could ever fit in a damm pot!

I wonder how those taste…

Probably pretty awful.  Giant squid evidently tastes terrible because of the build-up of ammonia in their system from having to live in a deep sea environment.  The crab probably has that same problem as well, in addition to (I believe - please correct me if I’m wrong) living around sulfur vents.

So… we will have to be generous with the garlic.  I’m guessing about 3,000 gallons of butter will work so that would mean at least 750 cloves of garlic.  I can get this much butter, but does anyone know where we could get this much garlic?

• http://www.dinox.org/

http://microlnx.com/dinosaurs/OriginOfDinosaursAndMammals.html

http://frederic.malmartel.free.fr/Fin_des_dinosaures/eedinosaures3.htm

Other supporting information:
    The earth is slowly getting larger and its moving very slowly farther away from the sun. The continental drift is influencing the “tug” of inertia as the globe rotates over millions of years. This also contributes to its molten core which again influences the proportional gravity. In the past millions of years the rotation of the earth around the sun has actually took longer and as short a time frame as one billion years ago, one year was composed of 496 to 536 days in 12.4 to 13.4 months, 40 days in each month.
        The research suggests that we are having longer and longer days. Statistics released by the International Society for Astrological Research (ISAR) show the earth is really moving more and more slowly and days are turning longer. There are astrologists holding that during the early days of the earth (about four to five billion years ago), it took the earth only six hours to complete one rotation, which is the length of one day.
      So the theory holds the supporting skeletons of what may live on the surface is proportional to the changes in gravity over time. after mass extinctions and these changes the selective variations arose supported increasingly smaller animal types. Under the vast oceans this effect was not as dramatic, so their are still “monsters” in the deep oceans. Enjoy your crab dinners!

• I dont know enough about science to say who’s right or wrong, but i do know that i have never heard IL’s claim before, and it seems wrong. also, the links you supplied weren’t very widely known sources (doesnt mean they arent correct, but it does damage their credibility, because i can provide you a link to a site that will tell you the earth is flat). also, arent astrologists concerned with the Zodiac, the alignment of the planets, and the phases, and whatnot like that?

• dude, if i saw one of those, i would fricken flip and blow the thing up, thinking it wasnt from this planet!!!

• OMG you guys are taking a simple point about the ancient earths gravity and blowing it like the british done at Monte Cassino in 1943. IT is a fact that the earths gravitational forces were a fraction of what they are today. This is a growing body of information that supports the thesis that these changes produced and influenced the demise of large land creatures, because after all they are less equipped to limber around if the gravity was substantially increased. This is the simple reason why animals in the ocean can be generally larger as the buoyancy and other factors help support its weight. Try putting a whale on the beach as watch it helplessly strand itself, because it does not have the power to push itself back to the sea. Why do you think people with poor joints or ( broken leg) often train in a lap pool, as to not re-injure themselves. The same thing. If this giant crab ever washed up on the beach it would not be able to move or chase you at 15 MPH down the freeway. But if i saw a 15 foot crab id run anyway!

• That article is interesting, but like Janus I’ve never heard of anything like this. I don’t buy their theory of mass extinction of dinosaurs 65 million years ago as a result of gravity change. Any mass-gravity change on this planet (based on my small pool of knowledge on the subject) would take tens of millions (if not hundreds of millions) of years. Dinosaurs experienced a very sudden extinction 65 million years ago. At the very least, this happened over a period of hundreds of years, not millions.

• IL, there is another reason that animals in the ocean are bigger than animals on land. They have more space to grow. Try putting a gold fish in a soup bowl. I don’t care how much you feed the gold fish, it’s not going to grow bigger than your thumb. Now, put a gold fish alone in a huge fish tank, and feed it the same. Do so for a few months and you’ll have yourself a nice little dinner. It’ll grow to the size of your hand.

• I don’t buy their theory of mass extinction of dinosaurs 65 million years ago as a result of gravity change. Any mass-gravity change on this planet (based on my small pool of knowledge on the subject) would take tens of millions (if not hundreds of millions) of years.

Its not a general theroy to explain the major event of dinosaur extinction. It accounts for only the methods of determining why land animals havent grown to the size of T rex. The mass destructions occured under the episodes of green house effects following some object striking the earth. The gravity thing only accounts for why selective variation didnt occur as these traits for larger creatures were not supported due to their poorer ability to exist in an enviroment that had more gravity than before.

http://www.newton.dep.anl.gov/askasci/env99/env176.htm

• You know, in your second link, the writer states that the gravity change theory is not very popular among current geologists.  While as someone else pointed out, this doesn’t mean that the theory is wrong, it does cast some doubt on it, especially since science is in some ways a communal effort and validation.

In any event, interesting theory.  I would wonder however whether cold-blooded versus warm-blooded differences between animals, and the complementary consideration of resource scarcity, would create enough selective pressure to weed out the large size of dinosaurs from contemporary animals.  But, then, there were some very large land mammals too following the dinosaurs’ extinction.  But, this is a question for a paleontologist.

• Well the largest land animal in terms of mass is clearly the Elephant, but they had land creatures that measured nearly 80 feet long and 35-40 high… now thats quite a jump. The neck weight to support the head as these creatures foraged for tasty leaves must have been immense.

below is the more scientific explanation of what i was trying to convey:

http://microlnx.com/dinosaurs/Locomotion.html

Suggested Topics

Axis & Allies Boardgaming Custom Painted Miniatures

Users

Topics

1.7m