• '17 '16

Just a clarification here in case I’m going color blind… if I order American Sculpts from HBG for A&A 1942 SE… there’s two choices… Dark Green and Olive Green… if I’m wanting to match the default 1942 SE American unit color, I order Dark Green, right?

• Looking at the site just now I think olive drab is what you want if you’re looking to match the 1 current 1942 edition.

• '17 '16

Ugh… I opened up side by side pictures of the default game with HBG Dark Green and Olive Drab and I thought for sure it was Dark Green… ugh…

• You could e-mail HBG and see whether they can tell you?

Somewhere on their site is a contact them option, which I use from time to time to ask whether they’ll ever have factories available again.

• '17 '16

… You’d think when you click the link for 1942 SE replacements for America, they’d actually link you to 1942 SE Replacements for America… instead of giving you the guessing game of which color to pick to match the game.

I understand they offer multiple colors for various reasons, but they should say something like “D.Green matches the game, use Olive Drab to denote special units or minor allies” (or vice versa)… something to that effect.

Also, this Forum seems pretty awesome as a source and well established with a lot of members… was hoping SOMEBODY had actually used HBG for American units and had personal experience as to which is the actual no-joke color match.  Maybe i’ll have to order one of each and find out before placing a larger order.  Come to think about it… Japan might also have confusing almost-matching color choices too.

I will attempt to contact them and see if they respond, thanks for the suggestion.

P.S.
    Private Panic… I imagine the answer HBG always gives you is “when there is peace in the Middle East, we will have them”.

• You should double-check with HBG before ordering anything in order to make sure, but my understanding of HBG’s “dark green” is that it’s supposed to match the special dark-shade-green US Marine units that were in the old Pacific game, whereas what HBG calls “olive drab” is supposed to match the standard medium-shade-green of normal US units.

• '17 '16

So the “olive drab” green on HBG is the American shade of green for current 1942 SE units?

EDIT:
    Heard back from HBG… the “Olive Drab” is indeed the correct color match for the current 1942 SE units… oh well, time for me to go visit the eye doctor!

• @Wolfshanze:

So the “olive drab” green on HBG is the American shade of green for current 1942 SE units?

EDIT:
    Heard back from HBG… the “Olive Drab” is indeed the correct color match for the current 1942 SE units… oh well, time for me to go visit the eye doctor!

No, your eyes are fine.  The photos on HBG’s website simply illustrate the point that I made in one of your other threads, which is that green is a headache to use (and photograph) because it looks very different under different types of lighting.

• '17 '16

Yes, I remember your comments about the green color issues… now to figure out which is the current color on HBG to use for Japan! lolz…

• The coloured squares on the Battle Pieces By Color page…

http://www.historicalboardgaming.com/Battle-Pieces-By-Color_c_263.html

…are a pretty good guide to what each colour looks like in reality.  Unlike the photos of the battle pieces, the squares aren’t affected by the lighting conditions that were used to photograph the sculpts themselves.

On a related note, this thread by knp7765 is very useful, both in terms of the picture and the text it provides:

http://www.axisandallies.org/forums/index.php?topic=23386.0

Clicking on each picture will expand it.

• @Private:

which I use from time to time to ask whether they’ll ever have factories available again.

I managed to snatch 5 pieces from HBG the other day and then 12 pieces from ebay for 5$.

• '17 '16

Plan in action… I ordered roughly $60 worth of units from HBG to bolster all five nations (plus neutrals) of my combined 1941/1942 SE sculpts.  Tried to get non-standard sculpts where possible, like US Nevada-class BBs, F4F Wildcats, Pershing tanks, Japanese Fuso and Nagato BBs, etc, etc.  Was bummed they were out of stock on UK Valentines and Churchill tanks… major bummer.  Just had to get more Matildas.

• '17 '16

Another customization I did for my 1941/1942SE sets… I used Boxcar’s AA50 Battle Board PDF file (which works surprisingly well for 1941&1942 as well), then I went down to the Fed-Ex copy and printing shop in town and had it made on “Outdoor Banner Vinyl”… I scaled this version down a tad to 9.5"x9.5" so it would fit into my 1941 box. Anyways, had it put on Vinyl, then took it to a frame shop and had them mount a board to the back, and the final result is below… this works well with both 1941 and 1942SE.

P.S.
    I am also apparently going blind… either that, or P-40s just don’t deserve defending at “4 or less”.  The picture was staged for demonstration purposes only, so no sculpts were actually harmed in the filming.

BattleBoard.jpg

• Looks good Wolf. Outdoor banner vinyl sounds like it might be the same material I used for my maps. I did not mount these on boards, so they roll up for storage.

• '17 '16

@Private:

Looks good Wolf. Outdoor banner vinyl sounds like it might be the same material I used for my maps. I did not mount these on boards, so they roll up for storage.

Well, if it was huge and “needed” rolling up for storage, that’s another story.  This battle board is an homage to the original A&A Classic battle board, which, conveniently fit inside the box.  Oddly enough, I made damn-sure that this would also conveniently fit inside even the smallish 1941 box.  I don’t need to roll up anything that comfortably fits inside the box as-is… so a hard backed battle board that fits inside the box is fine by me!  I have never liked, and can’t stand the oh-so-stupid “combat strip” thing they use in the current games… it’s terrible.  So glad I was able to get a proper battle board made up.

• Of course Wolf, but thought it might be relevant given my thinking that you have mentioned having a larger 1941 map printed.

Btw - with one map I had various “aids” included in a side panel. Again - just in case the idea proves relevant at some point.

• '17 '16

Well the Easter Bunny paid a visit to my house and delivered 1942SE today… I was surprised the box was the same size as the 1941 box, so i’m glad I didn’t make the battle board any bigger, as it just fits inside either box.

I also got ripped off… brand new unopened 1942SE, and as I cut open the German unit bag… NO BATTLESHIPS!!!  What a rip… I then went to order a few more from HBG, and I had them in my cart, and then it suddenly said “no-longer in stock”… someone bought the last few while I was unit shopping at HBG… oh well… as it turned out, I called Wizards of the Coast, and they are sending me 4-more Bismarcks…  I still couldn’t help spending more $$ at HBG on units… I think I got everything I want(ed) to round-out my sets.

• '17 '16

I just realized I ordered US carrier aircraft that don’t exist from HBG’s website…

WTF is a “F4F Hellcat” anyways?  :-o

(So did HBG mean to say “F4F Wildcat” or “F6F Hellcat”?  What model is it?)

• '14 Customizer

If you look at the planes on the US carrier on my startup pics  you can see the light blue planes known as the F4F wildcat.  The Hellcat was a faster carrier based plane that was later replaced with the F4U Corsair.

• '17 '16

cyanight, I guess my humor is too dry… sorry about that… I know the difference between an F4F Wildcat and an F6F Hellcat… what I’m saying is… On HBG’s website, they have ONE plane, and it’s called the “F4F Hellcat”. I was inferring there’s no such thing as an “F4F Hellcat”… It’s either an F4F Wildcat, or an F6F Hellcat… but HBG has the plane on it’s website named incorrectly (either the #designation, or the nickname).

Suggested Topics

Axis & Allies Boardgaming Custom Painted Miniatures

Users

Topics

1.7m