• '17 '16

So has anyone kicked their Axis yet?  :-D

• '19 '17 '16

@Wolfshanze:

So has anyone kicked their Axis yet?  :-D

Not I, although I thought I was winning once but then accidentally separated the US fleet and lost in the Pacific.

I’ll try something a bit different next time. I think it’s winnable at a sub-20 bid.

The Finnish attack can be reinforced with British fighters which can then stage into Moscow. USSR3 you can probably attack Manchuria and hold it. The Mongolian rule is overrated. Seems to make a big difference to advance the 2AAA from Leningrad to Karelia. If you do that, they can’t get back to Moscow in time and those 2AAA are really helpful in a big battle. The answer may be to use your two fighters and a 1 art bid to defend the stack on Karelia or Vyborg, depending on the positioning of the German TT.

Do you really need to sacrifice the British CV in the Med? I submit that you don’t: on Low Luck you can fly in a fighter from London and know for sure that you don’t need to move the CV in for it to land because you can take it as a hit. Perhaps that invites a scramble which would probably leave you with 1ftr & 1SB, assuming a sub bid is thrown in. But that also means their air force has been decimated and you can sit off Malta with a loaded CV and a cruiser. The most the Italians could throw at that would be 1SB, 1ftr, 1DD, 1Sub, 1Cruiser which is a mutual annihilation attack, slightly favouring the Italians. They could leave it for the Germans but then their entire Luftwaffe is out of position.

Why wouldn’t you bid an artillery in Kweichow? If the two Chinese inf in Hunnan hit the Japanese troops, you might have the odds to take back the territory China1 unless its strengthened. Indeed, you could thin down the Hunnan attack in this instance to be strengthen the Yunnan attack or Szechwan J2. Even if you miss, it’s still an even fight. Trading inf/art for inf/art is a good trade for China. The fighter can land in Shensi and be backed by some inf if it wants to avoid the mortal threat of landing in Szechwan. It’s out of range of all but the SBs. You can attack Yunnan with 6 inf and know for certain that you can retreat before taking the territory. Of course, that means forgoing the Burma Rd China1.

• '16

We have suffered our first defeat.

Pete’s strategy was well planned and we made mistakes on both sides of the board.
    And Pete capitalized very effectively.  VERY effectively.

The rubber match starts tomorrow.

• '19 '17 '16

Wouldn’t mind a rematch tomorrow about the same time. ie. Easter Monday, in the afternoon in the USA, given the time difference.

• '16

Simon, we have stuff to do today (Monday) in the afternoon and into the early evening.
    And we are in the midst of a match with Pete.

Tuesday is a baseball game.

Wednesday looks good for a rematch.  Afternoon same start time as before.

• '19 '17 '16

@gamergray:

Simon, we have stuff to do today (Monday) in the afternoon and into the early evening.
    And we are in the midst of a match with Pete.

Tuesday is a baseball game.

Wednesday looks good for a rematch.  Afternoon same start time as before.

Alright. I have nothing planned so far for then.

• '16

We are closing the books on this one.  Vacation ends tomorrow; back to our respective homes.

In four matches with Pete we went 1-2-1 (He got us twice and we all agreed to call one a draw.)

Simon was unable to beat us, but he showed us some things to think about.

But this exercise was not about the wins and losses, rather about opening our eyes to new allied tactics and strategies.
    In that light, both Pete and Simon are big winners – we are looking forward to the chance to use our new insights in games against each other and online.

• What was the essence of the Axis tactics in Europe?  Drive to Moscow by G5/G6?  Slow crush on G10?  Dark skies?

I hate playing against Axis with low luck since the airforce can just pick apart the Allied units, never failing due to bad dice rolling.

• '16

Used all three approaches.  It depended on how the allies spent/placed their bid.

• '19 '17 '16

The major hole in my game was defending Moscow. Only held it once.

A couple of other oversights like not anticipating amphibious assaults. Particularly one where I could have sacrificed a cruiser to kill a transport and thin the assault but didn’t.

Suggested Topics

Axis & Allies Boardgaming Custom Painted Miniatures

Users

Topics

1.7m