• The folks on this forum who’ve customized their basement A&A bunkers and war rooms to give them a WWII feel – old radios, wartime posters and so forth – may get some extra inspiration from the item below.  I like the part of the story which says that her only concession to the 21st century, a work-related smartphone, has an air raid siren as its ringtone.  If Wittmann or Private Panic ever go visit her, a detailed report would be very interesting.  :)

http://www.bbc.com/news/uk-35734889

The woman who lives in a 1939 time warp
    5 March 2016 Last updated at 10:22 GMT

Joanna Francis is such a big fan of 1939 that she has decided to immerse herself in the experience permanently.
    She has transformed her home in Lincolnshire and survives without modern conveniences.
    Simon Spark went to meet her.

• What a plucky lady!

Much as I would love to sleep in her Anderson shelter after a cosy bath in her tin tub afore the fire, I’ll leave it to witt to sample such pleasures and report back to you Marc. :wink:

• Yes, well, I wasn’t suggesting a sleepover at her place.  More something along the lines of a day trip.  Although I don’t really know how close her home is to either of you.  On a related note: if the Imperial War Museum still operates its “Blitz Experience” feature (if I recall the name correctly), I recommend it.  It simulates (briefly) what it was like to be in a bomb shelter during a bomber attack on London, including the shaking of the whole room when a big one lands nearby.  Great fun.

• Sponsor

@CWO:

Yes, well, I wasn’t suggesting a sleepover at her place.�  More something along the lines of a day trip.�  Although I don’t really know how close her home is to either of you.�  On a related note: if the Imperial War Museum still operates its “Blitz Experience” feature (if I recall the name correctly), I recommend it.�  It simulates (briefly) what it was like to be in a bomb shelter during a bomber attack on London, including the shaking of the whole room when a big one lands nearby.�  Great fun.

I wonder if in the future, someone will try to simulate for tourists what it might have been like to be in the World Trade building during 9/11.

• '22 '20 '19 '18 '17 '16

I hear stories about people going ‘off the grid’ and reverting to simpler times, but at least this woman has a theme to it to keep things interesting.

• @CWO:

On a related note: if the Imperial War Museum still operates its “Blitz Experience” feature (if I recall the name correctly), I recommend it.  It simulates (briefly) what it was like to be in a bomb shelter during a bomber attack on London, including the shaking of the whole room when a big one lands nearby.  Great fun.

Thanks for that Marc. I will certainly bear it in mind for future trips to London. I am sure my wife is keen to be ensconced in a darkened room with me while the earth moves. Come to think of it …… :wink:

• @CWO:

if the Imperial War Museum still operates its “Blitz Experience” feature (if I recall the name correctly), I recommend it.

Didn’t see it when I went there last summer, but I might just have missed it.

Suggested Topics

Axis & Allies Boardgaming Custom Painted Miniatures

Users

Topics

1.7m