• @aequitas-et-veritas I mean that instead of buying fighters at 10 and having to buy a carrier to host them for 3 attack 4 defense, you are better off buying cruisers instead at 10 and skipping the carrier. In other words, if you put equal TUV of cruisers costing 10 vs fighters and carriers in the battle calculator, cruisers would have the advantage.

• @adam514 said in G40 Balance Mod - Feedback Thread:

@flyingbadger Cruisers with the same stats costing 10 would become more cost-efficient in fleet battles than carrier+2 air which is not what we want.

Fair enough, I’ve not much experience or done any study into it. In my head they just felt about equal and I’d love to buy cruisers more. Would love to feel like I’d need to build balanced fleets of destroyers, cruisers and carriers but very much enjoy playing it as it is.

• '19 '17

@flyingbadger That’s where the loading marine ability comes in. It’s still a pretty niche use, but cruisers are reasonable to purchase in some situations.

• @adam514 thank you for explaining it.

• @Adam514 what about the fact that carriers take two hits and itself defends at 2 or less in defense?

• '19 '17

@pejon_88 It’s taken into account in the battle calc I proposed. They actually fight pretty evenly in the battle calc, but in a real fight there would be more fodder ships, which would advantage the cruiser fleet above the carrier-fighter fleet.

• @adam514 Okay, that does make a lot of sense when it is put in terms of how fleets would actually be composed. Cheers for explaining that.

• This issue has probably come up before, but since the search function here completely sucks I will put it forward anyway.

I’m thinking about marines and battleships. Think I read somewhere that a damaged battleship is not impeded when doing amphibious assaults. This seems a bit counter-intuitive, especially since own air can’t land on damaged carriers and other air are considered cargo.

Basically I think that a damaged battleship should not be able to send marines into an amphibious assault.

However, I realize that this would nerf the battleship quite a lot since sometimes it could not soak a hit during a sea-battle before an amphibious assault. Perhaps that could be an exception? An already damaged battleship would then not be able to send in the marines, while a freshly damaged one still could.

Further on there’s a question if a marine on a damaged battleship should be able to embark or disembark during NCM. I’m not sure about that one, but perhaps they should have that option, being able to change ships although it takes some time and logistics.

• '19 '17 '16

I think marines cause enough awkwardness without adding extra rules to them. The value to gameplay is already highly dubious IMO.

• '19 '17

@trulpen said in G40 Balance Mod - Feedback Thread:

This issue has probably come up before, but since the search function here completely sucks I will put it forward anyway.

I’m thinking about marines and battleships. Think I read somewhere that a damaged battleship is not impeded when doing amphibious assaults. This seems a bit counter-intuitive, especially since own air can’t land on damaged carriers and other air are considered cargo.

Basically I think that a damaged battleship should not be able to send marines into an amphibious assault.

However, I realize that this would nerf the battleship quite a lot since sometimes it could not soak a hit during a sea-battle before an amphibious assault. Perhaps that could be an exception? An already damaged battleship would then not be able to send in the marines, while a freshly damaged one still could.

Further on there’s a question if a marine on a damaged battleship should be able to embark or disembark during NCM. I’m not sure about that one, but perhaps they should have that option, being able to change ships although it takes some time and logistics.

Battleships can already do everything else when damaged such as bombarding, it’s not worth preventing battleships from transporting marines when damaged.

• Hmm, I think marines was a great addition. Expensive land unit, but fun. Also like that cr and bs get a new function as tr.

But sure, making the rules more complex might not be advisable.

• I can live with the small attack-boats not being damaged. :grin:

• @adam514 said in G40 Balance Mod - Feedback Thread:

Battleships can already do everything else when damaged such as bombarding, it’s not worth preventing battleships from transporting marines when damaged.

That’s not exactly what I suggested though. Marines could still be on a damaged battleship. Not really advocating the idea, but responding and explaining how I considered it.

• @trulpen said in G40 Balance Mod - Feedback Thread:

That’s not exactly what I suggested though. Marines could still be on a damaged battleship. Not really advocating the idea, but responding and explaining how I considered it.

I think the rule should be ONLY damaged battleships can do amphibious assaults.

Kinda like beaching a ship in its last death throes, and pouring its crew onto land. Epic!

• '22 '21

@regularkid In our current house rules playtesting we have destroyers having the ability to transport 1 Infantry in combat or non-combat phase- however the destroyer will not have the ability to fire in the Attack when transporting a troop, also for each matching Battleship/cruiser bombardment then each amphibious matching infantry’s attack at a 2 in the first round of combat!!!

• @nolimit I like it. Kinda like the Tokyo Express. . . i.e., the use of destroyers by Japan to transport forces and supplies at night onto contested islands.

• Hi there, I’ve got two questions about G40 BM3 and GO40 BM4:

• Is the only difference between both modes the IPC costs for the strategic bomber?
    • I read that the average bid in BM3 was about 10IPCs for the allies (please correct me if I’m wrong). Is the average bid in BM4 0IPC now?

Thank you!

• '19 '17 '16

@fasthard said in G40 Balance Mod - Feedback Thread:

Hi there, I’ve got two questions about G40 BM3 and GO40 BM4:

• Is the only difference between both modes the IPC costs for the strategic bomber?
    • I read that the average bid in BM3 was about 10IPCs for the allies (please correct me if I’m wrong). Is the average bid in BM4 0IPC now?

Thank you!

(a) yes
    (b) Bids went up and up. Early on Axis were getting bids. BM3 vs BM4 has had basically no effect on bids. Typical bid is now around 15 but a semi final game has 22.

• I’d say the normal bid nowadays is about 20 for Allies.

• Thanks @simon33 , @trulpen. So the average bid stays the same in BM4? I thought the European Axis is mostly affected to this change, isn’t it?

Suggested Topics

Axis & Allies Boardgaming Custom Painted Miniatures

Users

Topics

1.7m