A&A Europe 1940 2nd edition 3 rules questions

• Hi all.

Can you help with the following?
    For playing AA Europe 1940 second edition (mine made in 2012)

1. Can germany make a big land army of tanks and infantry etc and just send it through south east europe, through greece and through Turkey and into the middle east without any transports at all?
    If they attack Turkey then all remaining strict neutrals such as Spain and portugal and Argentina and Afghanistan all become pro-allies right? All the allies would have to do is move one land unit into them and they would then get to control all of that territories infantry? Can they later move the infantry out of the formerly neutral territory?

2. Can you buy minor complexes for neutral territories like spain or turkey that have 2 ipcs? If yes, can you produce 2 units per turn from it or 3 units per turn even though the ipc amount is only 2? I am used to the old AA rule of number units equals ipc value. If a major complex is built in romania or norway by germany can they produce the max 10 units from there?

3. Can ships move their full movement range (2 or 3 with naval base) into an attack and then retreat? Or to be able to retreat do you need original movement spaces left available? Also if you had a fleet go 2 or 3 spaces into an attack on another sea zone and had subs and transports come into the same sea zone all from different angles can your entire fleet retreat to a sea zone from where only a sub or transport came from?
    This would mean your main fleet moved a long way! for example it could go 3 spaces and then retreat to the other side if you had one sub or transport coming from the other side (like a pincer attack) therefore the whole fleet would have ended up moving 4 sea zones or 3 sea zones total if the fleet didnt start from a sea base.

Thanks!!!

• Welcome to the forum corcor.

Some answers for you:

1. Yes. Not looking at the map but land units can cross the Turkish straits, as Turkey is a single territory. If either side attacks any strict neutral all other strict neutrals become pro the other side and so can be occupied in non-combat, exactly as you say.

2. Yes. For a minor factory must have 2 ipcs and can build up to 3 units. Major factories can be built on 3+ ipc territories originally owned by a Power and produce up to 10 units.

3. Yes. Generally, any land or sea unit(s) can retreat from a battle whether it has used its full movement value to get there or not. I say generally due to the exception that land units conducting an amphibious assault cannot retreat. As you point out retreat is therefore a useful tool at times for gaining movement advantage or consolidating forces.

Cheers
    PP

• How satisfying! Thanks PrivatePanic for your replies.
    I have never played Europe 2nd ed before so I am just preparing for a game, i have to be the guy who knows the rules.

I realize that I have more questions if anyone is willing:

1. Southern France. Is it true that germany cannot produce ships into the mediterranean right away unless they capture southern france with its factory or build a factory in yugoslavia or greece eventually?

• That is right.
    You cannot build in a newly placed IC. Is the turn afterwards.

• Nor a newly captured one.

• Hi all,

I enjoyed my first game of A and A europe 2nd edition and of course more questions arise!

1. If the US or Russia (for example) takes a territory from germany, can the UK immediately land planes on that territory to reinforce it on its turn since the UK’s turn is immediately after Russia and the US?

They don’t have to wait a whole game round until one whole round has passed from the moment the attacker captured the country right?
    Conversely can Germany land planes on a territory Italy just conquered even if a whole round has not passed yet and the turns haven’t got back to Italy yet?

2. If a country has fighters it does not use for combat movement can the the fighters go into a sea zone in non-combat and a carrier be purchased and placed into that sea zone and the fighters land on it during place units all in one turn?

Thanks all!

• Yes to both questions, corcor.
    No 1: if both sides are Allied, of course. The point is that the territory has to be owned at the beginning of that power’s turn, which it is in this case.
    No 2:actually, even if those FTs were used in Combat, they could still land on a newly built Carrier that turn .

• Can UK fighters land on an american aircraft carrier if the US is not at war yet?

• No, I am afraid not.

• A Scramble question!

Can Scramble be used to block the movement of enemy ships passing by the sea zone that the planes scramble into (for either combat or non-combat movements)?

For example if Germany sent a navy from 112 to 109 or some other sea zone three spaces away but passing through sea zone 110 with the potential for a scramble.

Cheers.

• No; not in that case.

Suggested Topics

Axis & Allies Boardgaming Custom Painted Miniatures

Users

Topics

1.7m