Rangers / Commandos / Brandenburgers

• New unit type to consider.  Commandos - A2 D2 C6 M1.  Can perform same function as infantry under normal combat.  Special capability: Commando raids.  Can move 1 plus free sea zone to get to a target territory and perform a raid (somewhat same as a strategic/tactical bombing raid).  After the raid is complete, they have option to remain in the territory if captured that turn, or get same move 1 + sea zone to return to a friendly territory. Raid procedure:  Each raiding commando targets a base or complex.  Each target gets 2 defense rolls, 1 before and 1 after; in a originally controlled territory 1-2 to kill; any other territory 1 to kill.  Surviving commandos roll 1D6-2 for damage on the facility.

• 2023 '22 '21 '20 '19 '18 '17 '16

It’s a neat idea, and it’s fresh. I saw a TV show last week (“World War II in Color”) that had an episode about British commando raids into Norway, Denmark, etc. just to keep Germany nervous. Apparently the Germans overreacted and stationed half a million troops in Norway all through the war, even though there were never any serious Allied invasions plans for Norway between winter 1941 and summer 1945. Some historians think that if Germany had had those troops available in France, they could have contained the D-Day invasion.

Part of why the British commandos could pull off their raids was because they had naval superiority. There weren’t any German commando raids into Britain that I know of. That’s why I’m a little uneasy about the “1 free sea move” thing. If I’ve got five destroyers in a sea zone and you’ve got nothing, can you still slip your commandos right past my boats?

Also, at 6 IPCs, I don’t think commandoes would see much use as marines or as elite infantry – you’d pretty much only buy them if you wanted to repeatedly conduct these fancy raids. Figure they get killed after an average of four raids – so you’re dealing (1d6 - 2) * 4 = 6.6 industrial damage for a cost of 6 IPCs. It’s not very attractive.

One tweak would be to have them deal (d6) industrial damage, but to give each enemy combat boat in the sea zone they move through a chance to detect and kill them (as well as the chance that local defenders detect and kill them).

• The stat of your unit is to strong… att at 2 for a group of commando… a commando is a very little group of man. In the case of a big group is 30 or 40 max in the same sector. One infrantry is a army corp= 2, 3 divisions. A division is about 15 000 mans. The scale of that game is not built for very little unit like commando, partisan.

• A - Rangers,  Marines,  Brandenburgers  and  Commandos -  C4  @3   Air and Sea Amp Assault @4 1st round only.  @4 with Art 1st round only.  M2 D4   Maxium build 2 per turn.

B - If you give them more special attacks, then make a tech ( 5 countries ) where they cause some kind of small damage to airbases, naval bases and complexes. Give them 1D4 die roll for base and complex  damage.

If you add the Tech the the cost would be C5 or C6

Other wise just leave them like the A post.

• Thanks for feedback.  Tweeking the rule a bit…

Commandos / Rangers / Brandenburgers - A0 D1 M1 C5.  They give +1 bonus to infantry or mech inf (same as artillery) PLUS they can get the +1 artillery bonus.
    Special capability: Commando raids.  Can move 1 plus free sea zone to get to a target territory and perform a raid (somewhat same as a strategic/tactical bombing raid).  After the raid is complete, they have option to remain in the territory if captured that turn, or get same move 1 + sea zone to return to a friendly territory. Raid procedure:  Each raiding commando targets a base or complex.  Each target gets 2 defense rolls on each raiding unit, 1 before and 1 after; on the roll before the raid, a 1 eliminates the commando, on the roll after a 1 or 2 kills.  Surviving commandos roll 1D6 minus 2 to determine damage on the facility.

• '17 '16

Seems not very rewarding to built them.
    5 IPCs 1D6-2 damage
    Why not lower cost to 4 IPCs and lower damage to reach an equilibrium?
    Something like Convoy damage: rolls 1,2,3 = 1,2,3 IPCs damage 4,5,6 = 0 damage.

Suggested Topics

Axis & Allies Boardgaming Custom Painted Miniatures

Users

Topics

1.7m