• Just wondering if there is a house rule for adding a Italian army into the 1942.2 game? I seen a video on youtube which gave me the idea but was wondering if there was something a bit more to it then just giving Italy 7 of Germany’s IPCs which weakens the Axis’ most major power to give you a weak and poor minor power.

• '17 '16

@ProtesT:

Just wondering if there is a house rule for adding a Italian army into the 1942.2 game? I seen a video on youtube which gave me the idea but was wondering if there was something a bit more to it then just giving Italy 7 of Germany’s IPCs which weakens the Axis’ most major power to give you a weak and poor minor power.

I don’t know if anyone tried something like that. Some people like KNP plays 1942.2 rules on a AA50 map.

For sure, it will require to increase Italy IPC value above 3.
    Although this game is made so Germany cannot built more than 3 units in Italy or italian SZ.
    ICs production limit need to be revised, or Italy needs to be 8 IPCs to be as workable as UK or Japan when building both Land and Sea units.

Can-opener becomes part of strategy but army split makes for weaker aggressive strategy.

Probably needs a lot of work to reach a correct balance game.

• Agreed. It was a Hunter Jones who made the video which gave me the idea. He basically just put Italy into the game taking Italy and Southern Europe, Libya and Algeria and making it Italian. Which really sparked my interest to go buy Italian pieces and rounds until I really looked at the board and realized that because of the starting fleet in Italy(Italian Battleship, Destroyer, Sub & Transport) along with a fighter and bomber added in the capital, the UK forces in Egypt would have to be upped a bit or UK stands to lose an important fighter(depending on who starts first). Also Italy would have a clear running through Africa after that until the USA can get over there but that would take away from the USA helping UK and Russia in Europe. Also your point about Italy at 3 IPCs would definately have to be bumped to 8 which would give the nation a starting income of 12 in total.

The more I think about it, it’s almost as if you would need a whole new map for this. It still intrigues me to entertain the thought rather then buy a $400 Anniversary game or get the Global edition that has just way too many rules, nick nacks and other things involved. Perhaps I will search deeper into this to see if a good game balance can be found.

• '17 '16

Maybe, you can check all threads in House Rules, look specially for Black Elk and Der Kunstler as original posters.  I believe they throw some ideas on this Italian Power for 1942.2.

• 2023 '22 '21 '20 '19 '18 '17 '16

Here’s how I would do it:

1. Don’t think of the new power as just “Italy.” Instead, think of the new power as “all minor Axis powers.” The starting territories would be Italy, Southern Europe, Algeria, Libya, Rumania/Bulgaria, Finland, French Indo-China Thailand, and Argentina (!). You can actually leave the starting unit setup as is – that will give the new player 2 fighters, a battleship, and a transport to start with, while still leaving Germany and Japan with a bomber and five fighters each.

2. Open the Turkish Straits.

3. Put Italy first in the turn order, e.g., Italy - Russia - Germany - UK - Japan - USA. This is OK because Italy’s not really in position to mess up the Russian starting units too badly.

4. Leave Italy at 3 IPCs, and create a new 2 IPC territory out of neutral “Peru Argentina” that starts out empty, under Italian control, just as Brazil starts out empty and under American control. This will give Italy 14 IPCs at the start of the game – enough to buy a carrier, or a fighter, or a bomber, or a cruiser.

5. It’s OK that Italy has only three production slots, because Italy’s going to want to drop some expensive air/sea units. For example, if on turn one Italy builds 3 infantry and saves 5 IPCs, then on the next turn Italy might have as much as 22 IPCs to spend – which is really easy to do; you could buy a fighter and a bomber, or a transport, a destroyer, and a tank. Having only three production slots doesn’t really cripple the Italian player, and it wouldn’t be realistic anyway for Italy to crank out enormous armies of infantry; Italy’s population just wasn’t that large. If you really want to, you can probably build an Italian factory on turn 2 in Rumania.

Suggested Topics

Axis & Allies Boardgaming Custom Painted Miniatures

Users

Topics

1.7m