Top 10 World War II action films of all time

• @LHoffman:

@Young:

I would rather take those titles off the list than redefine the criteria at this point. I disagree somewhat with Das Boot, it’s such a long film that battle minutes seem short in comparison, but the majority of the film places the crew on the front lines in the Atlantic theater making the suspense minutes feel like battle minutes.

I would agree with YG’s reasoning. Das Boot is very much a battle type war film in my mind because it involves a crew in their machine on the front lines in the fighting. It is not a Battle of the (blank) movie, but there seem to be relatively few of the grand scale battle films out there. Saving Private Ryan has its moments, but it isn’t really a film about a single battle either. The single battle narratives, absent of a main character with a story arc, seem to have been out of vogue in Hollywood for a long time; probably since the 1970s.

Das Boat could also be considered a war drama given how intimate the setting is. I vote we keep Das Boat in this list.

Thank you LHoffman, you wrote what I was thinking.

• There’s also a list over here:

http://www.ranker.com/crowdranked-list/the-best-world-war-ii-movies-of-all-time?ref=collections&pos=2<ype=l&l=1894511&g=4&collectionId=1153

• '18 '17 '16 '15 Customizer

@aequitas:

Thank you LHoffman, you wrote what I was thinking.

I will have to add psychic to my list of abilities. No prob AeV.  :wink:

@CWO:

There’s also a list over here:

http://www.ranker.com/crowdranked-list/the-best-world-war-ii-movies-of-all-time?ref=collections&pos=2<ype=l&l=1894511&g=4&collectionId=1153

I have two main issues with these kind of “Top (whatever number) Lists” that populate the internet.

1. There are those that tend to be done by an individual which, more often than not, reflect the most pointed level of biased OPINION. It is one person who ranks things based on their personal preferences and rarely takes into account broader social appeal, cultural importance or film legacy. There are exceptions with people who really analyze their subject and take other factors into account, but it’s usually a case of “I like _____”.

2. There are those lists which are little more than popular opinion polls (like the Marc one linked to above). These lists offer very little on how well an item meets the requirements for being there, but rather are a larger sampling of opinionated people who say “I like _____”. I tend to view these as popularity contests with anonymous and wide-ranging voters who probably don’t read or care to understand the limitations or nuances of said poll.

A third category would be a list from a small group of truly knowledgeable people who are more than likely “experts” or dedicated critics. These lists are better, since they have decent cohesion, adhere to the requirements and are intellectually vetted to some degree. As much as these types of polls are better, they are not perfect. It is rare that you see an attempt to be truly scientific or unbiasedly rational when creating a Top (whatever number) List. I think it can be done, though there are elements that still involve opinion.

Ha, now all that said, let me rail on the poll in the link Marc posted (no offense directed at him).

How the F#&$ is Dirty Dozen number 5?! That is so beyond reason as to be insulting. Dirty Dozen is a complete joke of a movie. It is entertaining and even funny, but as a war film it has a few things counting against it: (1) it is a different parts comedy and black comedy; no self-respecting or serious war movie should have comedy as a main element. (2) It isn’t even based on a real story. (3) The film strays into whimsical and morbid elements for the final act which convey a detachment from reality. (4) The characters operate in a mode completely bereft of consequences and none of the death in the movie occurs with any impact. The operation without consequences goes beyond the reason that these are men on borrowed time with nothing to lose. It is more like there is no emotional impact for the things they do or the thing that happen to them.

You could say that Kelley’s Heroes has many of those same elements, which it does. However, it differs because while there is comedy, there is also a point for the characters where things no longer are funny. People get hurt or die and the consequences of that are very real. Beyond that, the dynamics of the plot in Kelley’s Heroes are much more plausible than those in Dirty Dozen.

Schindler’s List - Great movie to be sure, but it is hardly a war film. Wikipedia immediately calls this an “Epic historical period drama film”. Not a war film. This is another point where I find these lists to be very poorly defined. The requirements listed at the top of the page for this list is that “The film must take place during WWII.”. That is a ridiculously broad limitation for a list on the “Best World War 2 Movies” –- that title becomes very misleading if not meaningless.

Enemy at the Gates - This film is just not very good overall, without going through the metrics on it. No reason at all for it to be up at No. 14 ahead of Midway, Where Eagles Dare and Letters From Iwo Jima. It falls prey to the poorly done and totally misplaced romance arc too. Its more of a thriller than an intelligently crafted war film. That said, it would still fall into the war film category.

This list should be further suspect because it contains films like Captain America, The Reader, Glory??? (WTF?) and Indiana Jones. I don’t think anyone here put those up for their top 10 WWII films, or would even think to.

• @LHoffman:

in the link Marc posted (no offense directed at him).

I’m glad to hear this because I just posted the link for whatever it might be worth.  I wasn’t endorsing the list.  In fact, I didn’t even read it in detail; I just scrolled through it for a couple of seconds to see if it really was a list of war movies.

• Sponsor

I have questions about our list…

1. Should “Patton” be on it? (This is one of my most favorite films, but not sure if it meets battle criteria)
    2. “Went the Day Well”… battle scenes??? (I’ve never seen it)
    3. I love “Sink the Bismarck”… does it deserve nomination?
    4. Should “Thin Red Line” get boosted to the list? if so… what gets removed?

• 2. Went the Day Well… battle scenes???  <<

Yes.  In the last part of the film, the German paratroopers (who are disguised as British troops) fight both against British regulars and against citizens of the village who have taken up arms to battle the invaders.  Including quite a few female civilians, I might add. One of them, an elderly woman, grabs a hand grenade that’s been tossed into a room full of children, runs out the door with it, and is blown apart a second later.  The scene is actually more shocking than anything in The Longest Day, whose battle sequences are rather sanitized.  One woman in the film, who’s firing a rifle from a second-floor house window, manages to kill one of the Germans outside.  Her reaction is interesting: after just a fleeting moment of satisfaction, her face falls and she says quietly, “Oh.  I…got one.”  Another woman who’s about the same age, roughly mid-20s or so, and who’s shooting from the adjoining window, takes a completely practical position: she says (more or less, based on what I can remember), “Good for you.  Now I’ll see if I can get me one.  Let’s keep score.”

3. I love “Sink the Bismarck”… does it deserve nomination? <<

As an enjoyable WWII movie, yes; as one of the top-10 best, no.  The Kriegsmarine side of the story is an annoying, almost over-the-top caricature of the Germans.  Admiral Lutyens is portrayed as a strutting, bombastic Nazi and a rather stupid leader who spends much of his time saying, “Ah, zat is good, zat is very good,” and who often ignores the wise advice of Captain Lindemann, who is portrayed as a competent but feeble officer who is reduced to saying “But, sir…” whenever Lutyens makes a bad call.  The Royal Navy side of the story is better, but it tends to veer into stereotyped romantic melodrama.  The main character is a tough, unfeeling officer who takes over the RN’s Operations Room and immediately makes it clear to his staff (including a pretty WREN officer) that he’s an insufferable by-the-book son-of-a-you-know-what – a hard shell that, we eventually learn, can be cracked by the love of a good woman (guess who that turns out to be) to reveal his mushy, anguished interior.  I know, I know: it’s a drama, not a documentary, so you need a human interest angle…but I still find that narrative choice annoying.  The original C.S. Forrester novel is very different.  On the other hand, I love the Admiralty map table that features prominently in the film, and the movie has some pretty decent ship miniature action for the 1950s.

• Sponsor

Great post… thanks. BTW, I changed the title to read “action”

@CWO:

@LHoffman:

in the link Marc posted (no offense directed at him).

I’m glad to hear this because I just posted the link for whatever it might be worth.  I wasn’t endorsing the list.  In fact, I didn’t even read it in detail; I just scrolled through it for a couple of seconds to see if it really was a list of war movies.

No worries. I did not think it reflected upon you in any way. I figured it was posted simply because it was another list.

@Young:

I have questions about our list…

1. Should “Patton” be on it? (This is one of my most favorite films, but not sure if it meets battle criteria)
    2. “Went the Day Well”… battle scenes??? (I’ve never seen it)
    3. I love “Sink the Bismarck”… does it deserve nomination?

Regarding (1.):   IMO, yes. There are two, maybe three actual combat scenes in the movie, but only one extended battle scene (El Guettar) really. The more important aspect is that the film is very much one about the war, even though it is simultaneously a drama about a single man (unlike Schindler’s List which is not about the war but about the Holocaust). Patton traces many battles and campaigns through the perspective of one of the war’s most important generals and controversial figures. Besides being a film that is a strikingly intimate view of WWII, it is widely acclaimed as great film in all aspects: acting, music, cinematography, costumes, locations, historical accuracy, etc…

No it is not a battle film or one that focuses on combat primarily, but then again neither is Das Boat.

EDIT:  Um… I just realized you changed the title to WWII Action Films. If that is the case, then maybe Patton could be taken off. I would not consider Patton an ‘action film’. Das Boat more so, but even Das Boat is kinda a borderline case.

As for the others… I cannot say as I haven’t seen them.

• Sponsor

So Patton would fit better on my next list of “Top 10 World War 2 dramatic films”?

@Young:

So Patton would fit better on my next list of “Top 10 World War 2 dramatic films”?

That would be a better place for it, IMO.

• @Young:

In my biased opinion, it should not be on a list of top-10 WWII action films.  As I mentioned previously, I took an immediate dislike to this film and finally ejected the disc after just fifteen minutes – but I’m actually going to argue the point in terms of something else than my own reaction.  From what I’ve read about The Thin Red Line, it’s one of those movies that produces extremely polarized reactions because it doesn’t follow the normal conventions of its genre.  It could almost be called an experimental war movie, a work that is intended to make an artistic statement and take viewers out of their comfort zone.  Films of the French New Wave in the 1960s were like that: art-house films that were pitched (or that tried to pitch themselves) to a mass commercial audience rather than to small groups of intellectuals and film students.  Such films are tricky creatures because some people will praise them as being milestone achievements in cinematic innovation while others will denounce them as unwatchable trash.  Very few directors manage to pull off the gamble of producing “artsy” films that are commercially successful; Stanley Kubrick would be one of the rare examples, at least in his middle period.  I think his earliest films (which I haven’t seen) were rather conventional, and I know that his last film, Eyes Wide Shut (which I have seen) was as pretentious as it was boring.  Perhaps the closest parallel to The Thin Red Line would be Apocalypse Now (set in Vietnam, not WWII), since both movies were long, big-budget, artsy, semi-experimental war movies that are not to everyone’s tastes…though I did manage get all the way through the latter film.

IMHO, The Thin Red Line would actually be a good nomination for a new different category: the 10 most controversial WWII films of all time.

• Sponsor

Although I am in the camp of appreciating the Thin Red Line for what it is, I can’t argue with your assessment. I tryed to watch a movie recently called the Tree of Life, which began with the same slow poetic narrative as the Thin Red Line, not sure if it was the same director but I shut it off fast. The best things about TTRL was the battle scenes (it was the only film in which bodies were flung by the blast waves of mortar explosions rather than actors jumping away or being pulled by invisible tether lines), and the amazing performance of Nick Nolte of all people. However, that alone is not worth sitting through the mind numbing and never ending narrative about the meaning of life while watching tree bark grow and butterflies humping. I’m quite happy to keep it off the list, although I understand a new category of WW2 films may be better suited for it, I liked Inglorious Bastards… but it’s totally artsy in my opinion the way TTRL is.

@CWO:

Perhaps the closest parallel to The Thin Red Line would be Apocalypse Now (set in Vietnam, not WWII), since both movies were long, big-budget, artsy, semi-experimental war movies that are not to everyone’s tastes…though I did manage get all the way through the latter film.

I was thinking Apocalypse Now the whole time while I was reading your post, so I am glad you brought it up. It was much more an art film than a war film, though I do believe that it was able to capture a certain aspect of Vietnam (or perhaps any war) better than most standard war films do. The pure incomprehensibility of what you were watching, the ridiculousness of it and the confusion of what was going on really put you as a viewer into the film. It was a very effective method. I can’t say I enjoyed the film very much, but I thought certain aspects were very well done.

@Young:

I liked Inglorious Bastards… but it’s totally artsy in my opinion the way TTRL is.

I did not like Inglorious Basterds at all. It was not a war film, it was an art film. But I tend to dislike avant garde in any form, not just movies. I can appreciate Tarantino’s artistry, the meaning he conveyed with color and objects. He truly is a filmmaker because Inglorious Basterds felt more like an old-school film (the idea you get in your mind when you think of what a film is) than any other I have seen recently. I appreciated the acting and the well done costumes. But it wasn’t a serious film and I guess I just prefer more serious films. Felt like some sort of vaudeville theater production. I disliked the story, the fancifulness and the incomprehensibility at times.

• I see that Hoff does not think much of Enemy at the Gates and no-one has replied to disagree - so I will!

I like this film! The depiction of the Soviet pre-Stalingrad politico-war machine works for me and I do care what happens to the main characters. Bob Hoskins is brilliant as Khrushchev. The hell of Stalingrad is on the screen.

Accepting the action (or battle) tag, it would be higher on my own list than a number of others featured.

Does anyone agree?

@Private:

I see that Hoff does not think much of Enemy at the Gates and no-one has replied to disagree - so I will!

I like this film! The depiction of the Soviet pre-Stalingrad politico-war machine works for me and I do care what happens to the main characters. Bob Hoskins is brilliant as Khrushchev. The hell of Stalingrad is on the screen.

Accepting the action (or battle) tag, it would be higher on my own list than a number of others featured.

Does anyone agree?

Full disclosure: it has been years since I have seen the movie. I will need to re-watch to fully confirm and support my opinions.

• I am afraid, PP, that I was thoroughly disappointed with the film.
    I think the characters were very badly cast and the acting was atrocious.

• Sponsor

@Private:

I see that Hoff does not think much of Enemy at the Gates and no-one has replied to disagree - so I will!

Does anyone agree?

I really like this film, but only for the battle scenes.

• @Private:

Does anyone agree?

I’ve never seen it, so I can’t help with that one.  The only dramatic (i.e. non-documentary) film about Stalingrad that I’ve ever watched is an English-subtitled version of the two-part b&w 1949 Soviet film “Stalingradskaya bitva” (The Battle of Stalingrad), which is a very odd movie.  Its battle scenes are in some ways very impressive – the director clearly had access to unlimited help from the Red Army, which provided lots of real tanks and other equipment – but they also include some of the worst combat-related acting I’ve ever seen on film.  Much of the film is devoted to showing Stalin running the war as a one-man show from an impressive military conference room, equipped with a long, impressive conference table, that is completely unoccupied except for Stalin and one other person (sometimes it’s a general, sometimes it’s an enlisted man receiving information on a radio).  I there are a couple of scenes where the number of officers in the room with Stalin rises to two, and their main job seems to be to answer, “It will be done, Comrade Stalin” (in a suitably impressed and reverential tone) whenever Stalin announces a decision.  The message seems to be that Stalin was such a  military genius that he didn’t really need a general staff.

Oddly enough, I first watched this film after I had seen another Soviet film of the same ilk, “Padeniye Berlina” (The Fall of Berlin), which was released in 1950 and which was (ironically) shot on German colour Agfa film stock captured in Germany by the Russians.  Padeniye Berlina is so bizarre that it made Stalingradskaya bitva look like a documentary when I got around to seeing that one, and it makes the b&w film’s portrayal of Stalin look restrained and non-partisan by comparison.

Both films, by the way, include actors who portray a Russian-speaking Hitler.  This makes for an extremely strange viewing experience, to put it mildly.

Suggested Topics

Axis & Allies Boardgaming Custom Painted Miniatures

Users

Topics

1.7m