• @simon33:

I don’t really understand why the above is superior to YG’s approach for a J1 DOW. I only see 3 inf who can attack Yunnan J2 and maybe a Mec - is that all the ground that goes in there? Putting a max land based attack (4inf + 8ftr + 5tb + 2sb) vs max defence (13inf + 1mec + 2tb + 1ftr + 1tank - assuming all UK fighters are defending in India against strat bombing, one inf loss China1 and maximum USSR land help plus two planes) into the calculator I get the Japanese winning 92% but at the cost of 8 planes and that’s without insisting on taking the territory.

Nothing is ever fool proof - clearly a kitchen sink effort to secure Yunnan from J2 gives one pause to consider the trade off.  I think I actually alluded to it in my final talking points that there are times where it is not value-added to take Yunnan J2 because you’ll be much stronger on J3 and even more so on J4.

I have rarely seen (other than my own strategy) of moving the Russians into Yunnan early.  I know it can work but sometimes I question the trade off the Russians make if Japan actually does attack anyways.  Does that sink Moscow (it has for me)?  Are you already intending to replace those lost aircraft with Allied Aircraft from UK London or maybe Persia?

• '19 '17 '16

I’m not convinced 4 mobile units and 3 planes are make or break for Moscow. My plan is more to weaken Germany with massive strategic bombing and creating a second front. And driving back Finland even if you can’t take down the force. I guess I’ll let you know how that goes next weekend. I guess that is a near KGF.

I doubt I’ll be replacing those aircraft with other allied planes. Perhaps other USSR planes if Strategic Bombing of Moscow is going to be on.

The longer China are a viable power, the rougher it is for Japan. The problem with that as a strategy is that it lets Germany achieve too much. But if they are taking 40 hits per turn on their industrial complexes in West Germany and Germany they won’t be achieving much. Need to start hitting Germany ASAP because that is closer to the front, which is best done from Norway or Finland. IJN can only achieve so much. Taking down Sydney is probably the worst they can do, with the second worst being Hawaii - relatively easily reclaimed unless the USN is not a viable force any more.

The other thing I’m thinking I’ll try is strat bombing Japan’s minor factories if I can. If you buy a bomber in South Africa UK2, it can be bombing UK4. Also if the UK bomber survives Taranto it can help.

• '19 '17 '16

BTW, I think that regardless of DOW on J1, 4 land units into Yunnan is overkill. Ultimately, whatever goes in doesn’t come out or live to J2. 3 - 2inf + art + TB + ftr + 2SB is plenty. . with That allows 2inf and an art into Kwangtung and 2 inf into Hunnan. Or some re-balancing of that. That makes it highly probable you’ll take all the territories without needing to lose a plane. I guess there might be a problem if you use the SBs to take down the UK BB - then you have a 30% chance of losing a plane to take the territory or worse.

Still better than only sending one inf into Hunnan and losing a plane to take the territory - or did I misunderstand that part. Do you only lose a plane on the second hit?

• '19 '17 '16

@Spendo02:

clearly a kitchen sink effort to secure Yunnan from J2 gives one pause to consider the trade off.

I think the major problem with the kitchen sink effort is that you expose Russian mobile units from Russia in Szechwan to air (only) attack. FIC really needs reinforcement from Japan J2 or massive aerial reinforcement to survive a USSR3 mobile + air attack. But presumably that will occur and will thin out Shan State if you throw the kitchen sink that for J3. Throwing the kitchen sink at Yunnan J2 also means you can’t reinforce Suiyan significantly. I’m reconsidering this idea now.

• @simon33:

@Spendo02:

clearly a kitchen sink effort to secure Yunnan from J2 gives one pause to consider the trade off.

I think the major problem with the kitchen sink effort is that you expose Russian mobile units from Russia in Szechwan to air (only) attack. FIC really needs reinforcement from Japan J2 or massive aerial reinforcement to survive a USSR3 mobile + air attack. But presumably that will occur and will thin out Shan State if you throw the kitchen sink that for J3. Throwing the kitchen sink at Yunnan J2 also means you can’t reinforce Suiyan significantly. I’m reconsidering this idea now.

My typical J2 includes moving in 4 ground units via the J1 2 TT purchase into FIC.  All aircraft also land there.  FIC is a linchpin territory to hold due to the ability to continue a stream of 3 ground units / turn within great proximity of multiple territories.

I also want to clarify that rarely do I see Russia get involved in China outside of stepping into Manchuria and/or Korea.  Clearly a player who tends to use the Russians to cause interference with Japan may simply require a J1 DOW to clear out its units in Amur and start chewing up IPC and territories once broken.

It may take a few games for the player controlling the Russians to stop running so much interference because a Japan and Germany working to take Moscow could spell problems for the Allies.  Turns the game into a race to Egypt.  Its actually a pretty boring game that way - the US could simply go watch a baseball game and come back before it can DOW.

• '19 '17 '16

J1 DOW can’t clear out units in Amur unless USSR has passed on the opportunity to evacuate.

As for all air units into FIC, that does expose Kwangtung to a mobile assault. China can clear out a blocker. Obviously this means that the kitchen sink has been thrown at Yunnan. I guess you’d be inclined to change up in that event.

• @simon33:

J1 DOW can’t clear out units in Amur unless USSR has passed on the opportunity to evacuate.

As for all air units into FIC, that does expose Kwangtung to a mobile assault. China can clear out a blocker. Obviously this means that the kitchen sink has been thrown at Yunnan. I guess you’d be inclined to change up in that event.

I’d suggest reconsidering your position on Amur.  It can surely be taken regardless if it was stacked upon, left alone or evacuated (last one’s easy).  The only question is, at what expense?

There are at least 16 ground units that can reach Amur on J1, all but 3 aircraft can reach it, and you can throw in a few bombards as well for good measure.

You give up a lot of positioning and posturing for doing this and you surely don’t need all of this to take Amur, but if Japan’s strategy is to clear out those units and start advancing on Russia, clearly Amur is the beginning of that strategy and Russia cannot do anything about it except evacuate and swing around with the Mongolians later or evacuate them as well.

I highly suggest you reconsider talking in authoritative certainties.  Just because it may not be a preferred move does not make it impossible to do.

• '19 '17 '16

You must have misread what I wrote - I’m expecting USSR to evacuate Amur R1. If they don’t, they can certainly be taken down. My point is that with the turn order, USSR moves first and can and should evacuate most of their units out, unless they’re intentionally inviting an attack.

• @simon33:

You must have misread what I wrote - I’m expecting USSR to evacuate Amur R1. If they don’t, they can certainly be taken down. My point is that with the turn order, USSR moves first and can and should evacuate most of their units out, unless they’re intentionally inviting an attack.

I did.  Apologies!

• '19 '17 '16

Tried countering this move as axis with a J1 DOW and J1&J2 Strat bomber buy (+2TT J1). Turned out the Philippines assault failed and the fighter survived to be the 4th interceptor, but I still did the strat bombing raid J3 with 3 bombers, figuring the damage I would do would hurt the Allies more than losing a bomber. Turned out all got through and shot one interceptor down, but more importantly, instead of repairing the damage, the Allies built an extra IC on West India which I could only reach from Shan State, which I hadn’t claimed yet.

4th interceptor would normally come ANZAC2 via Malaya IMO, but I think the alternate IC is a pretty radical strategy. Not sure of the advantage of it to be honest.

Certainly had trouble containing China while focusing so much on India.

Suggested Topics

Axis & Allies Boardgaming Custom Painted Miniatures

Users

Topics

1.7m