15L Playoff Rd2: [4] JDOW (Axis) vs. [8] Gamerman01 (Allies +25)

• Yes, after that first round it looked like the game might break open, but now you still have a decent chance.  I don’t even know how good your chance is, but I know I can hold off Axis victory for a long time.  However, gobbling up Russia is going to be a real shot in the arm for you.  However, I got to Japan just in time.  So it will be a really great game by the time it’s all over

• Landing the air is no problem.  I was looking at a 3 round attack and hoping to save 3 air - 1 was stuck landing in Moscow.
    But the dice were all weird and it went 4 rounds, and then you got a good roll in round 4 and I lost 1 very important Russian fighter.  So disappointed once again.  Losing the tac hurt bad.  It’s been tough going

• Pretty sure I’ve never seen a blue guy in purple China before

• Now you have tough Japan moves probably for the remainder of the game.  Germany’s gonna be tough to handle for me though.  So many good dice rounds early in the game for them.

The waves were probably unstoppable - I don’t know how many rounds I could have held off.  But I’m glad I’m not going to lose any (more) allied air defending Moscow in some big huge stack battle.  Hate to lose Moscow at this point (I should have had a ton of air in India going into G13 and I failed), but glad I won’t be losing a bunch of bombers and a huge stack of fighters there now

• Average TUV for the first 2 rounds was only a very small negative number for me, so it was a no-brainer to attack for 2-3 rounds.  All the Russians could do was die in Moscow and not take enough down with them, or retreat in the wrong direction, which would have been a terrible decision.  I’m just really glad you gave me a chance to wipe all the artillery and about 10 mech (I ended up getting 12 but losing all tanks and 2 fighters) - I’m sure it was my best option then, given that I had flown too many fighters out of range of Moscow.  I didn’t run calcs to see if you could stack both territories - probably overconfident after the 33 disaster.

• Game will continue to be hard fought for several rounds, that’s all I know

• '15 '14

For sure!

My confidence was dwindling after your great defense push on India after I realized I might not be able to take a major VC.
    Then it was an up and down. After I saw the chance to attack at Caro I saw my chances rising significantly (I btw hope you now understand my scrambling decision which only made sense because of the upcoming attack, otherwise killing ground units would of course be preferable).

Then I found it kind of ironic that the only admitted blunder by you turned out to be a game changer. However then I realized how vulnerable Moscow was (with 20+ fighters around one tends to get lazy and not run calcs all them time thinking its too expensive to make a push).

Regarding the Russian attack I see one advantage for the Axis in so doing because I believe I won a tempo now. Most of the army is no freed up to either move east or South instead of being committed to attack Moscow in order to minimize losses. I have to admit, seeing your beloved Russian empire burned to ashes with imo little losses and Moscow under German control until the end of the game (I won’t wait until Moscow is liberated in case I won’t make it^^) is an achievement giving me some satisfaction regardless of the outcome.

Now the question is if Japan can hold for a while or will collapse quickly and how fast and how effective Germans can further grow. Not sure yet whether to help Japan or go South or both.
    This is certainly one of the games where Allies have a strong position even without Moscow. The Axis position is however also playable.

Let’s see where this will lead to.
    However, for today the war will rest until tomorrow, Japans turn is difficult. Enough body bags for today!

• Yes, the last round was crazy
    I have been thinking about the new situation a lot.  You stated the obvious about Germany and Russia…. but like I said before, not losing a single Allied fighter or bomber in Moscow is big, too, and I don’t know that Moscow could last that long anyway.  It is also big for me that Italy has almost no income.  But even by itself, Germany is scary right now.  Taking out all the artillery and a bunch of mech was significant, but I’m not sure if it was enough.  We have suddenly shifted to a very different phase of the game, as you are saying.  How Japan fares is indeed a big question.  My America play is going to have to be very strong, and maybe my American dice need to be strong too.

• As I wrote before, I moved too many fighters out of range of Moscow, and am trying to console myself.  I think there is a situation where you could possibly trap all the Russians and kill them more cheaply than this, so I think it could have been worse.  You did luck out in Tambov after that first round (after of course my great luck).  If I had managed to wipe out the entire stack, then I think the game is mine.  But you ended up saving 13 extremely important units and even took down an extra plane to boot, keeping you very much alive

• '12

Man looks in the abyss, there’s nothing staring back at him. At that moment, man finds his character. And that is what keeps him out of the abyss.

• '15 '14

Pretty confident I can move tonight!

• '15 '14

TripleA Move Summary for game: World War II Global 1940 2nd Edition, version: 3.7

Game History

Round: 13

Purchase Units - Japanese
                Japanese buy 3 fighters, 3 infantry, 5 mech_infantrys, 1 submarine and 1 transport; Remaining resources: 6 SuicideAttackTokens; 0 PUs;

Combat Move - Japanese
                1 mech_infantry moved from Shensi to Yunnan
                1 mech_infantry moved from Hopei to Yunnan
                2 fighters moved from Shan State to Yunnan
                1 armour moved from Kwangtung to French Indo China
                1 infantry moved from Shan State to French Indo China
                1 bomber moved from Shan State to French Indo China
                1 fighter moved from Shan State to French Indo China
                2 fighters moved from Shan State to 41 Sea Zone
                1 tactical_bomber moved from Shan State to 41 Sea Zone
                2 infantry moved from Paulau Island to 34 Sea Zone
                2 infantry and 1 transport moved from 34 Sea Zone to 42 Sea Zone
                2 infantry moved from 42 Sea Zone to Java
                3 bombers moved from Shan State to Java
                3 fighters moved from 34 Sea Zone to 33 Sea Zone
                2 tactical_bombers moved from 34 Sea Zone to 33 Sea Zone

triplea_37262_Jap13.tsvg

• '15 '14

Despite the recent demonstration of the fighting skills of the US navy, the stubborn Japanese Headquarter sends naked air to sink transport at Carolines hoping for a 2v1 trade this time in case of a scramble.

Scramble sz33?

• Will it help that they’ve been expected for a week?  Probably not

Opening map

• Yeah, no way, I need those fighters and might only get 0 or 1 hits
    You will not suffer nerquen’s fate here, nor a repeat of last round
    Happy hunting

• '15 '14

TripleA Turn Summary for game: World War II Global 1940 2nd Edition, version: 3.7

Game History

Round: 13

Purchase Units - Japanese
                Japanese buy 3 fighters, 3 infantry, 5 mech_infantrys, 1 submarine and 1 transport; Remaining resources: 6 SuicideAttackTokens; 0 PUs;

Combat Move - Japanese
                1 mech_infantry moved from Shensi to Yunnan
                1 mech_infantry moved from Hopei to Yunnan
                2 fighters moved from Shan State to Yunnan
                1 armour moved from Kwangtung to French Indo China
                1 infantry moved from Shan State to French Indo China
                1 bomber moved from Shan State to French Indo China
                1 fighter moved from Shan State to French Indo China
                2 fighters moved from Shan State to 41 Sea Zone
                1 tactical_bomber moved from Shan State to 41 Sea Zone
                2 infantry moved from Paulau Island to 34 Sea Zone
                2 infantry and 1 transport moved from 34 Sea Zone to 42 Sea Zone
                2 infantry moved from 42 Sea Zone to Java
                3 bombers moved from Shan State to Java
                3 fighters moved from 34 Sea Zone to 33 Sea Zone
                2 tactical_bombers moved from 34 Sea Zone to 33 Sea Zone

Combat - Japanese
                Battle in Java
                    Japanese attack with 3 bombers and 2 infantry
                    ANZAC defend with 2 infantry
                    Japanese win, taking Java from ANZAC with 3 bombers and 2 infantry remaining. Battle score for attacker is 6
                    Casualties for ANZAC: 2 infantry
                Battle in 33 Sea Zone
                    Japanese attack with 3 fighters and 2 tactical_bombers
                    Americans defend with 1 transport; ANZAC defend with 1 transport
                    Japanese win with 3 fighters and 2 tactical_bombers remaining. Battle score for attacker is 14
                    Casualties for Americans: 1 transport
                    Casualties for ANZAC: 1 transport
                Battle in 41 Sea Zone
                    Japanese attack with 2 fighters and 1 tactical_bomber
                    British defend with 1 cruiser and 1 transport
                    Japanese win with 2 fighters and 1 tactical_bomber remaining. Battle score for attacker is 19
                    Casualties for British: 1 cruiser and 1 transport
                Battle in Yunnan
                    Japanese attack with 2 fighters and 2 mech_infantrys
                    French defend with 1 infantry
                    Japanese win, taking Yunnan from Chinese with 2 fighters and 1 mech_infantry remaining. Battle score for attacker is -1
                    Casualties for French: 1 infantry
                    Casualties for Japanese: 1 mech_infantry
                Battle in French Indo China
                    Japanese attack with 1 armour, 1 bomber, 1 fighter and 1 infantry
                    British defend with 1 armour; UK_Pacific defend with 1 factory_minor
                    Japanese win, taking French Indo China from UK_Pacific with 1 armour, 1 bomber, 1 fighter and 1 infantry remaining. Battle score for attacker is 6
                    Casualties for British: 1 armour

Non Combat Move - Japanese
                2 mech_infantrys moved from Kiangsu to Hopei
                1 armour moved from Shensi to Hopei
                1 infantry moved from Kiangsu to Anhwe
                1 bomber moved from French Indo China to Hopei
                2 fighters and 1 tactical_bomber moved from 41 Sea Zone to Shan State
                1 aaGun and 2 infantry moved from Malaya to Shan State
                3 bombers moved from Java to Shan State
                2 fighters moved from Yunnan to Shan State
                1 fighter moved from French Indo China to Shan State
                1 fighter moved from 34 Sea Zone to Shan State
                2 carriers moved from 34 Sea Zone to 20 Sea Zone
                1 carrier moved from 34 Sea Zone to 19 Sea Zone
                1 artillery and 2 infantry moved from Japan to 6 Sea Zone
                1 infantry moved from Korea to 6 Sea Zone
                1 artillery, 3 infantry and 2 transports moved from 6 Sea Zone to 20 Sea Zone
                3 infantry moved from 20 Sea Zone to Kiangsi
                1 artillery moved from 20 Sea Zone to Kiangsi
                1 infantry moved from Paulau Island to 34 Sea Zone
                1 infantry and 1 transport moved from 34 Sea Zone to 19 Sea Zone
                1 infantry moved from 19 Sea Zone to Jehol
                1 transport moved from 34 Sea Zone to 20 Sea Zone
                2 fighters moved from 33 Sea Zone to 20 Sea Zone
                1 tactical_bomber moved from 33 Sea Zone to 20 Sea Zone
                2 destroyers moved from 6 Sea Zone to 20 Sea Zone
                1 fighter moved from 33 Sea Zone to 19 Sea Zone
                2 infantry moved from Yenisey to Dzavhan
                1 infantry moved from Evenkiyskiy to Yenisey
                1 tactical_bomber moved from 33 Sea Zone to 20 Sea Zone
                1 fighter moved from Japan to Chahar

Place Units - Japanese
                1 transport placed in 19 Sea Zone
                2 mech_infantrys placed in Kiangsu
                3 fighters, 3 infantry and 3 mech_infantrys placed in Japan
                1 submarine placed in 6 Sea Zone

Turn Complete - Japanese
                Total Cost from Convoy Blockades: 2
                    Rolling for Convoy Blockade Damage in 37 Sea Zone. Rolls: 2,5
                Japanese collect 63 PUs (2 lost to blockades); end with 63 PUs total
                Turning on Edit Mode
                EDIT: Removing units owned by Japanese from Chahar: 1 fighter
                EDIT: Adding units owned by Japanese to Dzavhan: 1 fighter
                EDIT: Turning off Edit Mode

triplea_37262_Jap13.tsvg

• Lucky again!  Jeez, I meant happy hunting on the transports, not EVERYTHING  :wink:

• Haven’t even looked at the noncom yet  :-P
    Could happen today though

• Still haven’t looked at noncom
    Hooked on Dark Souls II - just ordered Dark Souls and Demon Souls  :-D

• '15 '14

Alright, thanks for the update! :-)

Suggested Topics

Axis & Allies Boardgaming Custom Painted Miniatures

Users

Topics

1.7m