What is your favorite version of A&A?

• @wittmann:

I love the complexity of 1940, but hate it more and more I play it, because of the imbalance in German to Russian  NOs and Japan’s Air starting line up.
    Anniversary got my vote.

YG is living in hope,  Mr. De Gaulle. There will never be another Edition. Larry (or his sponsors) has given up on us. Sadly, we won’t see any more games of this genre.

Why is that? Is WWII themed products losing popularity?

• You can play most anything on a phone or tablet these days. Young people do not really Want go sit around a table to play something which takes 8 hours. Fact of life, I am afraid.

• @wittmann:

You can play most anything on a phone or tablet these days. Young people do not really Want go sit around a table to play something which takes 8 hours. Fact of life, I am afraid.

Fortunately, another fact of life is that young people eventually turn into older people, and that as they grow older their interests change and – at least in some cases – become more refined and sophisticated.  A typical teenager or young adult would undoubtedly have contempt for a board game like Snakes and Ladders because they’d regard it as too childish for them, and perhaps equal contempt for a board game like A&A because they might regard it as being a slow, dull, complicated, no-electronic game suitable only for old fossils like their parents…and perhaps even as being just one step short of contract bridge, i.e. a “game for retired senior citizens.”  Note that I said “a typical teenager” rather than “any teenager” because, if you go to the various gaming / hobby stores in Montreal that have game-play areas in the store itself you will usually find the tables crowded with enthusiasts who are playing any number of board games, customizable card games and collectable miniature games – and let me tell you that these folks are far from being grey-haired golden agers.

• Sponsor

when I say 3rd Edition, I am only fantasizing… has there been an official announcement that new A&A game products have been permanently discontinued?

• No, YG. Just me anti-fantasizing!

• @Charles:

Are you saying that you play Anniversary 1942 with 1942 2nd Edition rules?

Yes C de G - have done so once and hope to do so again :-)

• @CWO:

@wittmann:

You can play most anything on a phone or tablet these days. Young people do not really Want go sit around a table to play something which takes 8 hours. Fact of life, I am afraid.

Fortunately, another fact of life is that young people eventually turn into older people

Tell me about it! Where did this grey hair come from? :-(

• @wittmann:

Anniversary got my vote.

Mine too (1941 set-up)… With some tweaks.  We’ve made some nice house rules that really add some new viable strategies to the game as well as to give the allies a better chance at actually winning.  Anyone interested, PM for a copy.

@wittmann:

YG is living in hope,  Mr. De Gaulle. There will never be another Edition. Larry (or his sponsors) has given up on us. Sadly, we won’t see any more games of this genre.

Aren’t there already ENOUGH versions of this game?  I guess I would’ve rather seen few versions that enables a larger group of available players.  Oh course this is my personal opinion, coming from a guy who played one version (original/second edition) for 20+ years before the avalanche of new versions became too frequent to keep up with.

• Another D-Day type game would be perfect. Have to be set on the Russian Front: Kursk or perhaps  Bagration (44). Stalingrad would be too boring, as it was a siege. We all want manoeuvre.

• Anniversary is very good as well. Unfortunately I don’t own it and only play it with a friends game.

Suggested Topics

Axis & Allies Boardgaming Custom Painted Miniatures

Users

Topics

1.7m