• My sons found the AA guns for second edition while looking for more infantry for our 41 game. We added the guns to the board for five IPC.

Do any of you add units to 41 & if so what units?

• It is an interesting idea, AB, and a way of bridging the gap towards the next game up, which might prove helpful with your lads.

However, personally I resist such options in a deliberate attempt to embrace what makes each game different, with its own distinct challenges and solutions.

• '17 '16

I played with all units available to observe different interactions between units for Redesign project.
    However, it was also with a different cost structure for warships: SS5, DD6, CA9, CV12, BB15.
    AAA was 3 IPCs but up to 2 planes and each IC received at least 1AAA and I added more for Germany and Japan to even out numbers against Allies.

Fighters were cheaper with different combat values too.
    Initial set-up have 1 TcB added for every 2 Fgs.
    Carrier was 2 hits and hold 3 planes.
    All other units, such as Artillery, needed to be buy to appear on the board.
    My report is here
    http://www.axisandallies.org/forums/index.php?topic=36518.msg1461651#msg1461651

• I have added these and all other units from 1940. I even toyed with adding Italy ACZAC China and France.
    Maybe I should post the setup with the other units….for now here is how I just add AA guns alone:
    Exactly the same rules apply as those in 1940 2nd edition. Cost 5.
    Setup AAA additions:
    Karelia1
    Russia: 1
    Cacausasus: 1
    Germany: 1
    Eastern Europe: 1
    Norway: 1
    Western Europe: 1
    Southern Europe 1
    England: 1
    Egypt: 1
    Australia: 1
    Japan: 1
    Hawaii: 1

Three for Russia, five for Germany, 3 for UK, one for Japan, and one for US.
    Allies 7 Axis 6.
    Plays well and appears to be balanced.

• '17 '16

It is a lot of additional units.
    Do you really give 1 AAA to Egypt and none to India?
    There is not a lot of German unit in Africa (1 Tk), giving 1AAA to Egypt seems to paralyze this sideshow theatre.

• Good point. I originally did this to balance the fact that Germany gets an AA gun for every coastal territor making it tough for the Brits to invade. Only way to balance was to make it tough for Germany to invade. Also keep in mind that this is a part of a setup that adds tons more units. For instance:
    North Africa: Germany: 3 infantry, 1 mech, 1 artillery, 1 tank Italy: 2 infantry 1 mech, 1 artillery, 1tank.
    Egypt: UK 2 infantry, 1 artillery, 1 mech, 1 AAA, 2 tanks, 1 T bomber ANZAC: 1 infantry,  1 artillery France: 1 infantry.
    Allies get more in Middle East and Africa and Axis have three transports in Mediterranean. I really should post the whole setup.

Suggested Topics

Axis & Allies Boardgaming Custom Painted Miniatures

Users

Topics

1.7m