1st Annual Cellar Gaming TripleA Octathalon – Brackets and Win Posts

• '18 '16 '15

Great War Balladeer (Central) loses to DizzKneeLand33 (Allied)

http://www.axisandallies.org/forums/index.php?topic=37053.60

• '20 '16 '15 '14

Great War

redrum [Sides: (even is Allies, odd is Central Powers)] vs DizzKneeLand33DiceRolling 1d20:
    (17)

• TripleA

270BC - redrum (Anti-Romans) defeats Entek (Romans)

http://www.axisandallies.org/forums/index.php?topic=37063

• '18 '16 '15

Hmmm, found something strange in The Rising Sun (don’t know where to post it). In the game against Dawgoneit (http://www.axisandallies.org/forums/index.php?topic=37078.0)
    I want to move a transport from Sz 49 to Sz 81 (American turn 5), but get the message ‘must own Ceram to go through Canal9’. That seems to be wrong, I own S.G. and Nayumo, those 2 island are connected and show blue dots, there is no line to Ceram at all. If I go by Sz 50 the machine does allow the move.

Any idea where to report this so it can be checked in the map settings?

• TripleA

Hey Balladeer,

I’m 95% sure that is a bug. It appears there is a canal between sz81/sz49 which requires control of Nayumo/S.G but in the XML it is defined mistakenly requiring control of Ceram/S.G:

<attatchment name=“canalAttatchment9” attatchto=“sz81” javaclass=“games.strategy.triplea.attatchments.CanalAttachment” type=“territory”></attatchment>
    <attatchment name=“canalAttatchment9” attatchto=“sz49” javaclass=“games.strategy.triplea.attatchments.CanalAttachment” type=“territory”></attatchment>

This doesn’t make any sense. I would go ahead and use edit mode to properly make the move.

Dizz, can you confirm the ruling since you are tournament master :)

• '18 '16 '15

@redrum:

Hey Balladeer,

I’m 95% sure that is a bug. It appears there is a canal between sz81/sz49 which requires control of Nayumo/S.G but in the XML it is defined mistakenly requiring control of Ceram/S.G:

<attatchment name=“canalAttatchment9” attatchto=“sz81” javaclass=“games.strategy.triplea.attatchments.CanalAttachment” type=“territory”></attatchment>
    <attatchment name=“canalAttatchment9” attatchto=“sz49” javaclass=“games.strategy.triplea.attatchments.CanalAttachment” type=“territory”></attatchment>

This doesn’t make any sense. I would go ahead and use edit mode to properly make the move.

No actual need for a ruling, as I can make the move (going 2 instead of 1 space, which doesn’t matter), but would be better if the map is corrected in the future :)

• TripleA

Good point. I also got confirmation from some of the TRS veterans that it is a bug. As long as Dizz confirms, then moving forward we will play it as the map displays it.

FYI. For those not aware I’m working on updating WaW/NWO/TRS and discussions are here:
    http://tripleadev.1671093.n2.nabble.com/WORLD-AT-WAR-td5862407.html
    http://tripleadev.1671093.n2.nabble.com/NEW-WORLD-ORDER-td2187321.html
    http://tripleadev.1671093.n2.nabble.com/THE-RISING-SUN-td4694638.html

Mostly focusing on fixing bugs, updating/clarifying game notes, updating territory names, and graphical fixes/clarifications.

• '20 '16 '15 '14

@redrum:

Hey Balladeer,

<attatchment name=“canalAttatchment9” attatchto=“sz81” javaclass=“games.strategy.triplea.attatchments.CanalAttachment” type=“territory”>      <option name=“canalName” value=“Canal9”>    Â</option></attatchment>
    <attatchment name=“canalAttatchment9” attatchto=“sz49” javaclass=“games.strategy.triplea.attatchments.CanalAttachment” type=“territory”>      <option name=“canalName” value=“Canal9”>    Â</option></attatchment>

Confirmed!  :-D

• TripleA

So interesting question. Since we are using the ‘Battleships repair at beginning of round’ setting for all the Seig maps (NWO, WaW, TRS), this is somewhat unclear on how it should work for neutrals. When using the default setting ‘Battleships repair at end of round’ all neutrals units repair in between each player’s turn. It appears when using the ‘beginning’ setting that they NEVER repair. This doesn’t seem right to me. Thoughts?

• '20 '16 '15 '14

@redrum:

So interesting question. Since we are using the ‘Battleships repair at beginning of round’ setting for all the Seig maps (NWO, WaW, TRS), this is somewhat unclear on how it should work for neutrals. When using the default setting ‘Battleships repair at end of round’ all neutrals units repair in between each player’s turn. It appears when using the ‘beginning’ setting that they NEVER repair. This doesn’t seem right to me. Thoughts?

Since these bunkers aren’t critical to the game play (and this is only dealing with neutrals), they are left as damaged under the current options – no edits needed.

(For the sake of discussion, I would add that otherwise, even the timing of when to heal them would come into play if, for example, a teammate hit the same territory the same turn.  Would you propose that they heal after the USA turn, or after one turn of being damaged?  I’m not sure it’s worth a lot of time for your programming to make this change, unless it’s easily done, in which case it would make sense that they heal at some point.)

• TripleA

Alright. Guess we’ll play them as the engine enforces then. I personally think there are 3 options (in order of preference):

1. They heal at the start of the player’s turn who damaged them (this matches closest to how player owned 2 hit point units work)

2. They heal at the start of every player’s turn (would work same as neutral bunkers with heal at end of turn)

3. They don’t heal at all (as the engine works today)

Unfortunately, option #1 would take significant coding effort. Option #2 is easy but might not get consensus since some people probably prefer #3 over #2.

I think in general Seig maps (NWO, WaW, TRS) are mostly played with healing after turn (default) instead of before turn as the unit costs are more balanced for that as well.

• '18 '16 '15

Well, with the first results known I was wondering not only how the current standings per game are (as can be found on the different cellargaming topic), but also what player was in what round and how many players are currently active in which game. The only thing left to figure out is how to post it as image on the forum, but until I got that figured out, it’s in the attachment! :)

ACGTO standing.png

• '20 '16 '15 '14

Well, since every bracket is double elimination, no one has yet been eliminated from any of them.  For those that may have missed it, the brackets are listed in the links here:

http://cellargaming.com/phpbb/viewforum.php?f=34

Once we start getting down to the later rounds, it would be great to have the overall standings listed – perhaps with a max points possible column or something?

I’ve had a project to have to get done prior to the full fledged tax season, so if you want to take that on Balladeer that would be cool.  :)  The points in each bracket will be 5,3,2,1 for 1st, 2nd, 3rd, 4th.

• @DizzKneeLand33:

Once we start getting down to the later rounds, it would be great to have the overall standings listed – perhaps with a max points possible column or something?

I don’t think my weakening pride would survive.

• '18 '16 '15

@DizzKneeLand33:

Well, since every bracket is double elimination, no one has yet been eliminated from any of them.  For those that may have missed it, the brackets are listed in the links here:

http://cellargaming.com/phpbb/viewforum.php?f=34

I’ve had a project to have to get done prior to the full fledged tax season, so if you want to take that on Balladeer that would be cool.  :)  The points in each bracket will be 5,3,2,1 for 1st, 2nd, 3rd, 4th.

Right, double elim, I completely forgot. But that’s easy to fix, because current eliminated becomes losers round (so 3 categories, winners, losers and eliminated).
    I also understand the left half of the bracket now, that got me confused since I’m used to something like this: http://www.printyourbrackets.com/pdfbrackets/12teamdouble.pdf

I’ll add in some information I think usefull (including current, min and max points), if anyone thinks of something new he’d like to know, just tell me and I’ll try to put it in there.

• '18 '16 '15

@Narushima:

@DizzKneeLand33:

I don’t think my weakening pride would survive.

But I want to know! Knowledge is power, even if it takes swallowing a little pride ;-)

• '18 '16 '15

Allright, second try, now with:

• Winners round, losers round and eliminated
    • Current, minimum and maximum score

Just one doubt about this, if you get to the semi final, you’re at least 4th, right? Even thought it’s double elim? Just want to make sure, else the minimum scores are wrong :)

ACGTO standing.png

• '20 '16 '15 '14

Okay, so I think we are having a differing definition of “semifinal” and so forth…. :)

The winner of the winners bracket players the winner of the loser’s bracket in the tournament final.  So, the winner of that gets first place, and the loser gets second.

The player who loses the loser’s bracket final gets 3rd place.  And fourth place is the player that was beaten in the loser’s bracket “semifinal” (in essence).

If you make it to the winners bracket final (the two slots that play to determine the winner’s bracket winner), then you are guaranteed 3rd place.  This is because you will either win twice and get first, win once and lose once to get second (in any order), or lose twice and get third.

So, currently, no one has made it to the final four – which for our purposes means that the two players on the right of the bracket and two players on the left of the bracket (the third set of lines from the right and from the left).  Until that happens, no one is yet guaranteed any points.  ;)

I’m rereading the above, and it seems to be about as clear as defining what a catch is in the NFL this year.  Does it somewhat make sense?

And, Narushima, LOL on your “weakening pride” – I have a feeling most of us are experiencing that!  :-D

• '18 '16 '15

It makes a little sense, but perhaps not as much as you’d like. I did however draw it out on paper and let 8 players play the whole thing out, which helped ;-)

But I got it now, only thing that’s hard is to give proper names to all the different brackets (in a way that they speak for themselves, instead of having to count it all out), especially the losers part, but I’ll give it a try :)

Suggested Topics

Axis & Allies Boardgaming Custom Painted Miniatures

Users

Topics

1.7m