1st Annual Cellar Gaming TripleA Octathalon – Brackets and Win Posts

• '20 '16 '15 '14

• sorry for the delay.
    lightning hit my house and messed up all my electronics so I have to have things replaced or fixed.
    I will be a couple of days and I will be back

• '20 '16 '15 '14

Napoleonic Empires:

Bacala [Sides: even is Coalition, odd is Carolingians] vs redrum DiceRolling 1d20:
    (1)

Lord Of The Rings:

DizzKneeLand33 [Sides: even is Good, odd is Evil] vs redrum DiceRolling 1d20:
    (13)

270BC:

redrum [Sides: even is Roman, odd is Anti-Roman] vs Bacala DiceRolling 1d20:
    (4)

Balladeer [Sides: even is Roman, odd is Anti-Roman] vs DizzKneeLand33 DiceRolling 1d20:
    (4)

• '20 '16 '15 '14

So, I’m thinking of starting the next tourney in October – I was hoping for twice a year, but lmfao, that is never gonna happen.  So, let’s all play with once per 10 months/year if you like.  Also, we talked about the fact that Total Ancient War would be replaced.  So, in the next few weeks, I will post the full rules for your feedback.  The generic gist is that there will be no changes other than timing between turns.  There will be a bump after 96 hours here (72 hours in league, so still slower) with an allowable vacation to cover those times.  There would also in the case of extreme tournament situations the scenario where a game is on the clock.  This would mean that the 96 hours would be cut in half until that bracket is caught back up.

I’m hoping for even more players in the 2nd version!  What do you guys think?  I would love feedback – lots of it!

Last time when we started, each tourney started quickly.  This time, I’m thinking 10-14 days between starts will be the case, allowing for more time for people to become assimilated.  Also, The final four players will have the first 4 byes by their standings/seedings.  So, if there are 12 players, then 5-12 start the first round, and 1-4 have a bye.  This will help those players who are still playing in the prior tourney to have some time to get started in the new one.

Let me know your thoughts and by all means invite your friends and friends of friends!!

• TripleA

@Dizz - Couple of thoughts/questions:

1. For the bump rule, do you have to play a turn in each game within 96 hours or any of the games within 96 hours? I think my concern is that if you actually end up with 8 concurrent games, it can be difficult to play a turn in all 8 within 96 hours.

2. I’d love to see more players maybe aim for at least 16 and leave registration open longer this time. Also advertise on the various other TripleA sites.

3. TripleA 1.9 is about to come out so I’d make sure not to start before then (shouldn’t be an issue but just a heads up). Also WaW is being updated (only a few balances changes).

4. I’d definitely rotate TAW out though I’d also consider rotating a few others out as well (my suggestions would be Great War, LOTR, and/or TRS)

• '20 '16 '15 '14

Great post, redrum – I’m going to address which games to include first, and then post about the bump rule and so forth – I know Balladeer is going to post too and hopefully a few others.

So, right now I was thinking that “Domination 1914 – No Man’s Land” would replace Total Ancient War.  Also, I would be willing to replace a second game with “Big World” (is it version 3?) that everyone seems to be playing and liking a lot.  It will take a while to absorb that map, but what do you guys think of those two?

1. Domination 1914 – No Man’s Land
    2. Big World v3 [just to confirm, this game is fully balanced and play tested, correct?]

Then the question would become which game do we replace?  The choices seem to be Great War, LOTR, or TRS.  I guess my personal choice (even though it’s one of my favorites) would be to replace Great War – I think TRS is a nice balance to NWO, and I like having a non-real war game in LOTR.  However, I’m very open to what you guys think.

• '18 '16 '15

NWO Balladeer (Axis) wins over Captain Walker (Allies)

http://www.axisandallies.org/forums/index.php?topic=37971.new;topicseen#new

• '20 '16 '15 '14

NWO:

Bacala [Sides: even is Allies, odd is Axis] vs BalladeerDiceRolling 1d20:
    (16)

DizzKneeLand33 [Sides: even is Allies, odd is Axis] vs captain walkerDiceRolling 1d20:
    (11)

• '20 '16 '15 '14

Has anyone seen dawgoneit?  It’s been a couple weeks now…. :(

@redrum – regarding the proposed “bump” rule, it would be that you would need to play a turn within 96 hours after your opponent plays one, so that 4 days can in reality be 8 days between turns.  I think that should be doable, especially when people can have vacation times in between as well as the fact that it would be 4 bumps (proposed) before a player is actually forfeited (once a bump is recorded, the player has another 96 hours).  I’m just looking for something reasonable to keep things moving along.

There would also be an “on the clock” for games that are holding up brackets, but this wouldn’t occur for a while.  In essence, the first round would go 3 months before being “on the clock” and the winner’s brackets would go in 2 month increments after that (the loser’s brackets would need to move a bit more quickly since there are more games, but there are also more byes that pass through those, so it probably balances out).

• '18 '16 '15

Allright, for the next tournament:

1. 16 played would be great!! Perhaps if more of us marketed this we could get there.

2. Map changes:

• throwing out TAW makes perfect sense, I like adding in Domination 1914 – No Man’s Land
    • Great War seems rather static to me (not having played many games, but still), LOTR and TRS seem very dynamic to me though, had a couple of interesting games in both, so I’d keep LOTR and TRS
    • I’ve got no idea about Big World, never played it, maps doesn’t look too pretty and it seems in between Revised and G40 (with Revised being ‘simplest’ and G40 ‘most complicated’), as most of us play G40 as well it seems a bit weird to add it in? Then again, I know of no alternatives (except maybe Total World War: December 1941, but that requires 2 days of reading rules ;-), Civil War looks nice too, but also lot of tiny territories…)
    1. Bump rules: We are going to need something, because some of these brackets are never going to end it seems. Off course the illness of dawgoneit didn’t help and I feel good about waiting for him, but some way to speed things up seems necessary. I feel 72 hrs might be enough as well, as it is up to players to be lenient about this if necessary… I’d say that when you get to 5+ games a person they should get more time (72 hrs to play at least 50% of games running?)
  • TripleA

I’d actually vote to bring in Domination 1914 – No Man’s Land, TWW, and Big World v3 to replace TAW, Great War, and TRS. I think its better to see some variety plus it gives a chance to provide feedback to drive improving some of the maps.

• '20 '16 '15 '14

So, I see the point of Big World being something between Revised and G40.  That being said, the alternative would be Total World War (TWW 1941 is what you mean here, right redrum?), which looks completely awesome – it also looks like it would take 4 years to play a double-elimination bracket.  :-D

I like keeping TRS as a balance to NWO imho.

So, redrum, since I don’t think any of us has played TWW, are you saying that we would be able to finish the rounds within one calendar year?  If so, I’d definitely like to see what people prefer between Big World and TWW.

I count 18 sides plus 4 “neutral” sides.  But, does it flow pretty quickly with regard to the flipping of sides in a two-player game?

And I guess the real question is: which game would bring us more new players?

• TripleA

Good point. TWW 1941 is probably too long to have in this tourney.

• '20 '16 '15 '14

How do you guys like the Civil War game?  And, I assume the version titled “A House Divided” is the one that is play tested and balanced?

I haven’t had a chance to play it at all, but it looks more interesting than Big World on the surface at least.  We already have a full WWII game (WaW) along with the Europe and Pacific theaters so would it be better to add a different period to our warring efforts?  :-D  That would increase the number of periods to 5 (Roman, Napoleonic, Civil War, WWI, WWII).

I also want to check (redrum, I’m sure this is your department lol) whether or not the rail stations work properly and so forth – I know you told me before that this is one of the more finished maps, but just want to confirm that.

• '18 '16 '15

I like Civil War, if it’s working… Even if we drop 3 games I’d rather drop NWO than TRS, seeing how unique it is with the fleet play…

Bacala, you’re doing pretty well, any thoughts?

• TripleA

Besides loading up civil war and reading some of the notes, I’ve never played it. I’m pretty sure the learning curve is a bit high given how different it is. Not sure on game length.

• '18 '16

NWO is pretty well balanced so i would keep that one. Would be nice to add a more regular A&A game, big world or one of the WW2 maps. Civil war and domination i dont really know but sounds good.

As for what to lose: i like the NWO, WAW and TRS map, but they have similar gameplay so we could drop 1 if needed. All the other maps im fine if they are replaced.

• '20 '16 '15 '14

Okay, so this is how I am now seeing Total World War in terms of turns:

Germany (Axis) + 3 minors
    Russia (Allies)
    [Brazil - neutral]
    Japan (Axis) + 2 minors
    China (Allies)
    [Spain - neutral]
    Britain (Allies) + 6 minors
    [Sweden - neutral]
    Italy (Axis)
    USA (Allies)
    [Turkey - neutral]

So, in reality, there are only 6 player changes per round of the game.  This is actually less than World At War (which has 10), New World Order (8), The Rising Sun (8), 270 BC (6), and even Lord Of The Rings (12!).

In other words, although the game is more involved in certain aspects, the waiting between turns per round is actually less than our other games, so maybe these games wouldn’t take much longer than what we currently have.  If this is the case and I’m understanding that properly, then maybe this should be our 8th map?  I’m just worried about Civil War functioning and being play tested after my (very bad) experience with trying to get Red Sun Over China up and going….

So, if it wouldn’t take any longer than our other games, who’s for including Total World War: December 1941 as the 8th map (replacing Great War)?  Sorry to keep asking so much but I’d like to finalize these ASAP for the next tourney.  :)

• '20 '16 '15 '14

(ugh, the  8-) is an “8”)

Suggested Topics

Axis & Allies Boardgaming Custom Painted Miniatures

Users

Topics

1.7m