• '18 '17 '16 '15 Customizer

@Private:

Unbroken it must be Hoff, since that is the theme.

Unbroken is the one about Louis Zamperini, POW of the Japanese in WWII.

I read the book also and enjoyed it, so to speak. Haven’t seen the film, but from what I have heard from others who read the book and saw the film: they said the film was okay, but it tended to compress the events of the book and transition abruptly between places and situations. FWIW.

• That’s the one Hoff. It is an incredible story.

Thanks for sharing that feedback.

• Finally got to see Jason Bourne.

It was rather disappointing, being an average thriller not up to the previous Damon/Greengrass standard. But I did not have Hoff’s problem with the hand-held camera work, which I thought no worse than in the previous films.

Struggling to find films I want to see at the moment, so hope for a recommendation or two here!

@Private:

Finally got to see Jason Bourne.

It was rather disappointing, being an average thriller not up to the previous Damon/Greengrass standard. But I did not have Hoff’s problem with the hand-held camera work, which I thought no worse than in the previous films.

Struggling to find films I want to see at the moment, so hope for a recommendation or two here!

Can’t recommend it really, since I haven’t seen it, but the new one “Sully” that just came out looks pretty cool. It’s about the captain who landed his A320 on the Hudson River in New York after a bird strike disabled both engines after takeoff.

I have an aviation background plus it was directed by Clint Eastwood; so those are both reasons for me. EDIT: Oh jeez… how could I forget the other reason: Tom Hanks. Suppose that goes without saying of course.

https://www.rottentomatoes.com/m/sully/

Looking pretty solid on RT right now too. 89% liked.

• Thanks for that Hoff. I will await that with interest. Certainly has a good pedigree.

• Want to recommend “Queen of Katwe”. The true story of a chess champion from a Ugandan slum who becomes an international grand master. All without any formal schooling.

Having lived in Africa I found it a very authentic and moving film.

It is not a war film or Star Wars, but perhaps someone out there is willing to try something different! :wink:

Okay, this isn’t a 2016 movie, but the trailer just came out so take a look:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F-eMt3SrfFU

Christopher Nolan’s Dunkirk

I have been looking forward to seeing what this movie is going to be like, since up until now, we really haven’t seen much of anything.

Mr. Nolan does not disappoint. Wow does this film look amazing. And the subject matter fits our forum. More than that, Dunkirk is not or has never been treated to such high profile cinematic exposure.

The cast looks excellent. Particularly Brannagh, Hardy and Murphy. Can’t wait.

• Thanks for this Hoff. Nolan’s films are always worth seeing - and I certainly will!

@Private:

Thanks for this Hoff. Nolan’s films are always worth seeing - and I certainly will!

My pleasure!

• '17 '16 '15

Wow is right ! Whoever put that together gets an A+

Suggested Topics

Axis & Allies Boardgaming Custom Painted Miniatures

Users

Topics

1.7m