• '18 '17 '16 '15 Customizer

This was a good thread from before so let’s continue it for 2016.

Star Wars discussion is welcome.

Here are some interesting openers:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LbduDRH2m2M

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XRVD32rnzOw

• Sponsor

I love movies, so I’m looking forward to participating more in these threads next year. Hoping for a third Planet of the Apes movie to make it a trilogy, can’t wait for the next one in the Prometheus saga, there’s also some great Dramas and thrillers coming out that I look forward to discussing with you all.

• Star Trek Beyond looks horrible. They’re not even going to pretend it is smart sci-fi anymore. And what’s with the motorcycle?

And it is kind of hilarious that despite being not human the main female not on the crew is a white chick.

@frimmel:

Star Trek Beyond looks horrible. They’re not even going to pretend it is smart sci-fi anymore. And what’s with the motorcycle?

It does look bad. Supposedly Simon Pegg felt the trailer didn’t showcase how classically Star Trek-like the movie is… but considering the track record, the other writers and the director, I have no idea how this could be measurably any better than the previous two.

Fast and Furious director = motorcycle in Star Trek

@frimmel:

And it is kind of hilarious that despite being not human the main female not on the crew is a white chick.

With the big budget of a feature film, you would imagine that aliens could be approached more creatively. She is a great example of how this movie could be very much like the original Trek: strikingly humanoid aliens in body paint and a revealing costume.

• @LHoffman:

@frimmel:

Star Trek Beyond looks horrible. They’re not even going to pretend it is smart sci-fi anymore. And what’s with the motorcycle?

It does look bad. Supposedly Simon Pegg felt the trailer didn’t showcase how classically Star Trek-like the movie is… but considering the track record, the other writers and the director, I have no idea how this could be measurably any better than the previous two.

Fast and Furious director = motorcycle in Star Trek

Not at all buying that. They booted Orci of the project because it was too Star Trek. That doesn’t really speak well to what we’ll get here. Paramount got the generic action picture they wanted. Well not the one they wanted because no one will go see it.

• Went to see The Revenant. What a great film! The director truly puts you in the centre of the action, to a degree beyond anything I have previously experienced. The opening battle is shockingly taking place around you, as you (through the camera) stumble through the carnage. Other scenes achieve the same startling immediacy - being chased by Indians or particularly being attacked by a grizzly bear.

It creates a time and place which is both so very different and believably accurate. Leo D & Tom H give committed performances worthy of whatever accolades they garner.

It is not, however, a film for everyone. It is a story of survival in an unforgiving world, depicting the horror and trauma of horrendous events without sparing the audience.

• In terms of 2016 entries re Movies in 2016 this is clearly my very own thread!

Enjoying talking to myself as I do, let me add that I recently saw The Big Short. Well worth seeing. It will probably add to your understanding of the 2008 crash and also make you laugh. That’s quite a hard combination to pull off, so well done them.

@Private:

In terms of 2016 entries re Movies in 2016 this is clearly my very own thread!

Enjoying talking to myself as I do, let me add that I recently saw The Big Short. Well worth seeing. It will probably add to your understanding of the 2008 crash and also make you laugh. That’s quite a hard combination to pull off, so well done them.

I have been interested in seeing The Big Short. Been waiting til it gets to DVD.

Oh, yeah, saw Deadpool a couple weeks ago. It was decent and about what I expected. There were some parts I found quite funny, but overall I think I liked it less and laughed less than other people. My wife actually found it funnier than I did. Ryan Reynolds was a good fit, but I felt like he overacted the part a bit? I know who Deadpool is and how he acts, but the constant level of sarcasm and tone diluted the comedy in my opinion. There wasn’t enough to contrast it to. IMO

http://sploid.gizmodo.com/10-of-the-worst-cgi-moments-in-big-budget-movies-1764522712

I didn’t want to start a new thread for this, so we can discuss it here. There are some really bad moments on this list.

As much as some of the CGI in Return of the King started to get objectionable, it was still mostly good. There has to be a worse one out there for number 10 than the scene for RotK.

One I can think of is in Air Force One when the plane crashes into the ocean at the end. I remember that being pretty bad.

• The James Bond clip is by far and away the worst Hoff. Unbelievably bad!

• '20

Deadpool was garbage IMO. 13 Hours had phenomenal action scenes and The Revenant was a great performance by Leo. Very interested in seeing The Big Short.

• Hey Colt - and welcome to the forum if we’ve not interacted before.

Just seen “Hail Caesar”. Am a fan of the Coen brothers, but this was not their best. Great cast as always. Some funny moments. Best was the final scene, with Clooney’s speech about faith - or is it!?

• '20

Thanks for the welcome, Private Panic!

So anyone seen Batman v Superman yet?

Based on the universally bad reviews and my experience of what kind of director Zack Snyder is… this is a wait til it hits the video store thing.

This looks way better. Best Batman movie ever:  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aBJyp2LFHgk

Unfortunately not until 2017. Crap.

• Heard B vs S is bad Hoff. :-(

• Sponsor

@Private:

Heard B vs S is bad Hoff. :-(

30% on rotten tomatoes, Ben should stick to dramatic roles like Gone girl and Argo which are right in his wheel house. In fact it baffles me why he would do BM vs SM when it seemed like he was establishing himself as an Oscar worthy talent.

@Young:

@Private:

30% on rotten tomatoes, Ben should stick to dramatic roles like Gone girl and Argo which are right in his wheel house. In fact it baffles me why he would do BM vs SM when it seemed like he was establishing himself as an Oscar worthy talent.

From what I have read, his performance wasn’t the real fault of the movie. Seems like more of a director thing. I just really do not understand how such an important and anticipated movie could be allowed to turn out so poorly. Like, can’t these professional writers and directors tell what will be regarded as great or bad? I suppose if you play it so safe as to be dumb and boring and make the appeal as broad as possible, as long as your film makes money it doesn’t matter.

• Sponsor

@LHoffman:

@Young:

@Private:

From what I have read, his performance wasn’t the real fault of the movie. Seems like more of a director thing. I just really do not understand how such an important and anticipated movie could be allowed to turn out so poorly. Like, can’t these professional writers and directors tell what will be regarded as great or bad? I suppose if you play it so safe as to be dumb and boring and make the appeal as broad as possible, as long as your film makes money it doesn’t matter.

To tell you the truth, I have avoided watching super hero movies for the past few years now… I liked Kick Ass, Deadpool, Guardians of the Galaxy, The Watchmen, and the Nolan Batman trilogy. After that, I don’t care to give away my money to the superhero comic book Hollywood gravy train. I haven’t seen any X-men movies after the first, haven’t seen Thor, Captain America, or the Avengers for that matter… I really associate this stuff with the mindless comedies big studios would manufacture back in the early 90s, because they were a big draw at the box office no matter how bad they were… and that’s what the super hero genre has come to. I’m glad to hear that Affleck’s performance was not to blame… but it’s still career suicide to take on the risk of these roles especially after the whole Dare Devil fiasco.

I guess I’m just bitter that my 2 favourite comic books growing up (Ghost Rider, and the Punisher) had epic fail movies.

• '22 '20 '19 '18 '17 '16

@Young:

@Private:

It’s a cash grab but at least in his case he can use it to self-produce films. He was fine as a middle-aged Bruce Wayne, he certainly had the jaw for the cowl.

The movie was so long, loud and dumb that the blame falls squarely on the writers and director. I’m scratching my head over Christopher Nolan’s involvement, maybe he wants his Batman movies to look better and better as time passes.

Suggested Topics

Axis & Allies Boardgaming Custom Painted Miniatures

Users

Topics

1.7m