• 2023 '22 '21 '20 '19 '18 '17

Hey there,

Been looking forward to this 1936 map for a while! I held off on buying the 1939 map waiting for this one, hope to get it in the near future when funds are more readily available!

This question/suggestion is obviously done without having seen the game, and I’ve only read the rules from the HBG site, so excuse me if this has been discussed and thrown out, or what I say just doesn’t make sense in the context of the game.

As the title above stats, my query is about the Winter War between Finland and USSR in 1939. I only ask because obviously Spain, China, Abyssinia are all seeing action early, and the Winter War was certainly important as well. It made Finland begin to lean towards a German alliance out of fear of another USSR onslaught. After the reading the rules and seeing the point system, I propose the following (as a house rule if you will):

If the USSR attacks Finland before it is aligned, the Germans and Western Allies can lend lease in a similar way that they do with the Spanish Civil War. Historically, the Western Powers (UK, France, Norway, Sweden, etc.) sent a decent amount of volunteers to help the Finnish army fight the USSR, as they were all afraid of the spread of Communism and didn’t want to see a Soviet victory.

To make this work in the point system and make it worth fighting, you could do the below:

USSR - 1 Victory Point if the USSR defeats Finland before it’s at war with the Axis Powers and/or Finland becomes aligned with the Axis Powers.

Western Allies - 1 Victory Point if Finland survives the Winter War and the Western Allies sent more Lend Lease to Finland than the Germany.

Germany - 1 Victory Point if Finland survives the Winter War and the Germany sent more Lend Lease to Finland than the Western Allies.

This would entice all sides to have a horse in the race and make a conflicting victory point for all three.

Was this even looked at? Terrible idea?

Thanks all,

Chris

• '18 '17 '16 '15 Customizer

Chris, this is first time I’ve seen your post. Your idea is great, but I will tell you this, HBG is planning on doing a Winter War expansion in the future, but it will be awhile.

They also, maybe, doing a board game, if enough people are interested in it, on their website, but you have to vote for things you want on their website.

In the mean time, you gave everyone an option to use, if they are interested in it.

Keep in mine, there will many expansion to the 1936 game, as well as other Global games made in the future. There are many 3D units already available with rules you can get on their website.

I hope that helps. :-)

John

• 2023 '22 '21 '20 '19 '18 '17

Thanks for the reply John. I was wondering about those expansions, I didn’t know if they were still in the plans or not, but I’m glad to hear they are! A board game is also an intriguing idea, but you’re right in that interest in that may be lacking.

It seemed like a simple enough idea to get more action in the early stages of the game for those who would want it.

I look forward to everything this has to offer!

Thanks,

Chris

• '18 '17 '16 '15 Customizer

@Chris_Henry:

Thanks for the reply John. I was wondering about those expansions, I didn’t know if they were still in the plans or not, but I’m glad to hear they are! A board game is also an intriguing idea, but you’re right in that interest in that may be lacking.

It seemed like a simple enough idea to get more action in the early stages of the game for those who would want it.

I look forward to everything this has to offer!

Thanks,

Chris

No problem, Chris. Yes, this game is going to be a blast, because everyone can add what they want to the game. I’m super stoked about the endless possibilities, we will have. :-D

Cheers,

John

Suggested Topics

Axis & Allies Boardgaming Custom Painted Miniatures

Users

Topics

1.7m