• Seems to be a Sniper’s ability to destroy an entire squad of infantry is a bit unrealistic.  A face-up disruption counter seems more appropriate.

If each individual M-1 Garand is, say, seven or eight soldiers, and if each game turn represents one minute of real time, then a sniper that scores enough successes to destroy a squad of men will have shot and killed each of them in less than one minute.  I guess it is possible.

• Founder TripleA Admin

It could be that there are more than one sniper too. Maybe there are 2 or 3 snipers.

• I believe the sniper constitutes one person, from what I have read from Avalon Hill.

• That is correct.  I picked up some boosters at lunch so I have the Rule Updates in front of me.

“Each Sniper miniature represents a single Sniper, not a squad or team.  They don’t pack the same punch as an infantry team, but they’re hard to find, they have good long-range attacks against Soldiers, and each one has a specialized ability.”

• @General:

Seems to be a Sniper’s ability to destroy an entire squad of infantry is a bit unrealistic.  A face-up disruption counter seems more appropriate.

If each individual M-1 Garand is, say, seven or eight soldiers, and if each game turn represents one minute of real time, then a sniper that scores enough successes to destroy a squad of men will have shot and killed each of them in less than one minute.  I guess it is possible.

Maybe a “destroyed” infantry unit doesn’t have to mean all its members are dead. They could be routed a la Squad Leader or Close Combat where they are alive but hiding in fear or some such. I know if a sniper picked off one or two of my squadmates there’s a chance I would just cower in fear and not be a factor in the battle at all.

• Yes, I agree… that is all very plausible.

Limiting the sniper’s attack to disruption might have been a feasible alternative for the game, unless it is shooting at a commander or opposing sniper or tank-head shot.  I have found disruption to be the doorway to death, because it so severly limits the effectiveness of units.  Try killing an SS-Panzergrenadier with disrupted M-1 Garands at medium range.  Not going to happen.

My last game pitted me against the Wermacht expert sniper… It took out several of my units.  With 6 attack dice and +1 each die, the player just needs to avoid more than two 1’s and 2’s to exact some damage on most units.

• dont forget about seargent Carlos Hathcock the Marine sniper who had the most confirmed kills in Nam. 93 confirmed to exact. he at one point took out a whole regement with his sniper rifle in a matter of minites. and a regiment is alot more than 4 or 6 solders.

• Then it seems like the sniper’s ability in A&A minis is appropriate.

• @General:

Then it seems like the sniper’s ability in A&A minis is appropriate.

well if you happen to be my hero (hathcock) then yes its ok.

• Does the Head Shot disrupted counter stay on a tank the entire game or just until the end of the following turn during the casualty phase?

• I found my own answer.  Removed after second turn.

Suggested Topics

Axis & Allies Boardgaming Custom Painted Miniatures

Users

Topics

1.7m