• I just bought the game and are still trying to figure out how to play. I am quite confused whether hits are accumulative? Let’s say my 2 infantry attacked my opponent’s tank, it did not die. After his turn, I chose to continue the battle. I rolled two 1s, so now does his tank die since there have been 4 attacking points total? This seems to be reasonable but it is not clearly stated in the rulebook, just to make sure. Thanks for helping :)

• I am not sure I understand what you mean by: are hits accumulative. They are not. Each Round is new and all earlier rolls negated, if they were misses.

If the defender missed with his Tank on Round 1 of the combat, you can elect to go a second Round. You need to roll a one on either roll, and he will need to roll a 3 on his defensive one. If you roll a 1 on either dice, his Tank is eliminated.
    If one of your attacking  Infantry survived, you would capture the territory and take the income from it.
    is that clear enough? Please ask again, if not.

• Hi zaa

Welcome to the forum. I started with 1941 myself early this year, so I remember the hard work required to get to grips with the game. Being a relative newbie myself, I would say wittmann understands it much better than I do, but he has asked me to check this thread and see if I can help achieve clarity for you.

Each unit has its own attack and defence value. An infantry’s attack value is 1 and defence value is 2. A tank’s attack and defence values are both 3. Using your example:

Your 2 infantry attack an enemy’s tank. You throw two 1s. That means two hits and if there were two or more enemy units in the battle then two would be eliminated. One hit = 1 unit killed, except for a Battleship which requires 2 hits.

The enemy tank still gets its defence throw and can yet kill one of your units in return, if it rolls a 3 or less.

All eliminated units for both sides are removed. If neither side has yet won, the attacker decides whether to continue or retreat. If continuing, dice are thrown for those units remaining. No rolls from previous rounds of the battle have any impact on the subsequent round, except that eliminated units are no longer present in the battle. Each round’s dice rolls deliver their casualties at the end of that round. So no aggregation.

@zaa:

I rolled two 1s, so now does his tank die since there have been 4 attacking points total?

The above sentence seems central to your uncertainty and I am aware that I do not understand it, leaving the real possibility that neither wittmann nor I have clarified things for you. If that is indeed the case then do please explain further.

Cheers
    PP

• '17 '16

Hi Zaa,
    You seems to consider atttack and defense points as hit points.
    It is not the case.
    All units in Axis and Allies have 1 hit point, except for Battleship (2 hits).
    Once hit, the unit goes into casualty.

• Baron has seen the question correctly.  I had once, like zaa, considered the attack/defense roll values to mean actual hit points while attacking/defending.  Thus, it would take three “dots on the dice” to actually eliminate the tank (e.g. the infantry rolls two 1’s on the first attack.  The tank has 1 HP remaining (from 3 for defense, initially).  Next, the tank rolls a 4 and “misses” (the number for the corresponding defense/attack value also represents the hit/miss factor, as well).  Next, the infantry roll another couple of 1’s, leaving the total HP loss to: 4; eliminating the tank.  Next, the tank gets it’s casualty roll.  If it achieves a 2 or 3, the result is a draw, and the TT is still in control of the defender.  However, if it rolls a 1 or 4-6, then there is at least one infantry left from the attacker, and they, then, control the TT.)  Additionally, the way I played it, the “hit points” lost during the battle are then completely restored to the units, once completed.

Kind of elaborate, but I hope that makes sense.  It is actually not a terrible house rule.  Additionally, the way I played it, the “hit points” lost during the battle are then completely restored to the units, once completed.  This results in a lot of fighter purchases.

Welcome, zaa!  Glad to have you.

• Ahhh! Thanks Guys. Hopefully zaa will make sense of all this.

• Baron is right, I thought that attack values were damages, and defense values were hit points. Now it makes more sense to invest in bombers, so I can fly them into places where the densities of enemies are high.

Thank you all so much for helping. I am going to play this game for my first time this weekend, very excited!

• Hope you have a great time zaa. All of us love it, or we would not be here!

Suggested Topics

Axis & Allies Boardgaming Custom Painted Miniatures

Users

Topics

1.7m