• Let’s say the British bomb your fleet at Taranto and the Germans sink the Royal navy in G2, then what? What should be the strategy of Italy?

Personally I tried to take Egypt some times, but was never succesfull. Does any of you know how to go about taking Egypt? Can it be done without German help after G2?

Thanks!

• '21 '20 '18 '17

1.  buy infantry.  Help Germany defend.  Defend yourself so Germany doesn’t have to.  Warding the allies off the Atlantic wall is very easy if you don’t waste Italy’s troops or money.
    2.  buy mechs and tanks.  Have them follow Germany into Russia.  At a key moment, Italy will be able to rush forwards and kill the screen protecting a key Russian counterattack force, which Germany can then blitzkrieg through.
    3.  fly your bomber all the way from Romania to china.  from China, have it land on Japan.  Use this and/or German bombers to kill the screens that the US is using to protect their key offensive fleet.
    4.  don’t worry about Africa.  Even with your full navy, it is very difficult to either leave the med or defend it against a determined attack.  Even with your full African army, you will need very strong support to defeat the UK, unless they make a stupid mistake
    5.  if you intend to take the extra assets for Italy (southern france, Bulgaria, etc.) do it with a plan in mind.  It is much easier for Germany to use this money to strong effect. 
    6.  take Gibraltar, but you’re not going to hold it.  You may need it as a base for either Germany or Italy, or just to slow the allies down/get your bonus.  Use a destroyer or a cruiser to block the allies entry into the med from SZ92
    7. don’t lose your airforce.  it can go all sorts of different directions to follow up on Germany.  It can hang in western Germany and do Italian sea lion.  It can attack Russia with your mobile force
    8.  you can attack UK with Italy.  It helps if you have 2 or more transports;  Sea Lion is far more effective if you attack with 2 (or even 3 lol) Axis powers one after another.  It may still not be a winner, but it makes it far easier for Germany to win even if you lose everything with Italy.
    9.  Africa is a distraction.  Egypt is a distraction.  Your bonuses are not keepable and are largely, distractions.  Don’t mess with 1 IPC territories.  win the game. 
    10.  Syria and Bryansk/Belarus are better goals than any NO or abstract victory (high income alone).

• protect your airforce and plan on buying destroyers to protect yourself from allied subs.Given a choice,I recommend going after middle east over afrika.

• I am replying as someone who always struggles with Italy. Usually my opponent takes a bid which puts extra UK units in place in the Med and ME and Italy’s position beyond Europe’s shores is pretty much annihilated in UK1.

I have therefore gradually learned to focus Italy on can openers against Russia for Germany. Get Germany’s stack to the gates of Moscow asap.

Then defend Rome.

Of course my opening paragraph shows that my experience is skewed when compared to the OOB set up.

• @taamvan:

1.  buy infantry.   Help Germany defend.  Defend yourself so Germany doesn’t have to.   Warding the allies off the Atlantic wall is very easy if you don’t waste Italy’s troops or money.
    2.  buy mechs and tanks.  Have them follow Germany into Russia.  At a key moment, Italy will be able to rush forwards and kill the screen protecting a key Russian counterattack force, which Germany can then blitzkrieg through.
    3.  fly your bomber all the way from Romania to china.   from China, have it land on Japan.   Use this and/or German bombers to kill the screens that the US is using to protect their key offensive fleet.
    4.  don’t worry about Africa.   Even with your full navy, it is very difficult to either leave the med or defend it against a determined attack.   Even with your full African army, you will need very strong support to defeat the UK, unless they make a stupid mistake
    5.  if you intend to take the extra assets for Italy (southern france, Bulgaria, etc.) do it with a plan in mind.  It is much easier for Germany to use this money to strong effect.   
    6.  take Gibraltar, but you’re not going to hold it.  You may need it as a base for either Germany or Italy, or just to slow the allies down/get your bonus.   Use a destroyer or a cruiser to block the allies entry into the med from SZ92
    7. don’t lose your airforce.  it can go all sorts of different directions to follow up on Germany.  It can hang in western Germany and do Italian sea lion.  It can attack Russia with your mobile force
    8.  you can attack UK with Italy.   It helps if you have 2 or more transports;  Sea Lion is far more effective if you attack with 2 (or even 3 lol) Axis powers one after another.   It may still not be a winner, but it makes it far easier for Germany to win even if you lose everything with Italy.
    9.  Africa is a distraction.  Egypt is a distraction.   Your bonuses are not keepable and are largely, distractions.  Don’t mess with 1 IPC territories.  win the game.   
    10.  Syria and Bryansk/Belarus are better goals than any NO or abstract victory (high income alone).

Thanks for this sound advice!

Suggested Topics

Axis & Allies Boardgaming Custom Painted Miniatures

Users

Topics

1.7m