• Hi Everyone,

I’ve been playing with the idea of creating a map in the same format of Global 40 that allows players to play from WW1 through to WW2.

I really enjoying playing 1914 and 1940 global but would love to have 1 board I could play both on. I have a few ideas already I’m working on, such as having technology rewards for implementing an armistice and breaking one.

I’m a big fan of the simpler maps and would design want to design something that wouldn’t over complicate the core game.

What are your thoughts?

Frank

• Sponsor

Very creative idea, I wish you well and encourage you to see it through.

• '18 '17 '16 '15 Customizer

http://www.historicalboardgaming.com/Proposed-Games_c_550.html

Maybe something like this? You can exclude most rules that you don’t want to play with.

• Sounds like a fun project.  The fundamental problem you’d have to solve, however, is the fact that the country names and – even more problematically – the country borders that existed historically in WWI were in some cases quite different from what they were in WWII.If you make them accurate for WWI, you’ll eventually end up in an alternate-history situation in which you’re fighting WWII on a WWI map with WWI powers as players.  It can also be argued that the political extremism of the 1920s and 1930s that eventually led to WWII was a direct result of the way WWI ended (specifically, the Versailles Treaty), and that if you alter the end of WWI then you alter the situation that eventually led to WWII.  That’s fine if working in an alternate-history environment is something you’re comfortable with; you simply have to be aware that you’re dealing with alternate history.

In terms of the map problem, perhaps the only option that would cover all the bases accurately, regardless of the political situation at any given moment, would be to use a simple map that is purely topographical rather than political in its territorial divisions.  A supplementary element could be to add overlays (drawn on large acetate sheets, or something similar) that provide political borders which can be adjusted from decade to decade.

Suggested Topics

Axis & Allies Boardgaming Custom Painted Miniatures

Users

Topics

1.7m