Stupid A&A G40 Rules

• Problem I see with those new allied victory conditions is that it would now be possible for Japan to win in the Pacific on the same round that the Allies win in Europe.

• Another stupid Rule.

You cannot fly planes over impassable terrain, Sure the pipet marches and the sahara are impossible for ground forces but a plane isnt really bothered by forest or sand.
    If you can fly over the atlantic ( which has about as much features as the sahara ) then you should be able to fly over the sahara right.

• I agree,  We made it a house rule that you can fly over the Sahara and the Himalayas.

• @Trooper51:

I agree,  We made it a house rule that you can fly over the Sahara and the Himalayas.

Changes a lot of strategies, but I agree it shouldn’t have been a restriction to begin with.

• 2020 2019 2018 2017 '16

@ShadowHAwk:

Another stupid Rule.

You cannot fly planes over impassable terrain, Sure the pipet marches and the sahara are impossible for ground forces but a plane isnt really bothered by forest or sand.
    If you can fly over the atlantic ( which has about as much features as the sahara ) then you should be able to fly over the sahara right.

I agree with you about the Pripet Marshes – the German army avoided it for a very good reason, but the Luftwaffe had no reason to do so. However, from a historical perspective, it was very risky to fly over the Sahara and most of the aircraft used in WW2 were not capable of handling the altitude and weather conditions in the Himalayas. While an individual aircraft might actually make it through, operations in force would have been extremely risky.

Marsh

• @Marshmallow:

@ShadowHAwk:

Another stupid Rule.

I agree with you about the Pripet Marshes – the German army avoided it for a very good reason, but the Luftwaffe had no reason to do so. However, from a historical perspective, it was very risky to fly over the Sahara and most of the aircraft used in WW2 were not capable of handling the altitude and weather conditions in the Himalayas. While an individual aircraft might actually make it through, operations in force would have been extremely risky.

Marsh

The himalayas is pretty plausible planes of the era had a lot of issues getting over it, though they actualy used it to supply china with weapons.

The sahara desert the only reason why they could not get past it was because of the range of the planes of the day, but since we already have planes with insane ranges ( you can fly accros the atlantic ) why not the sahara desert. Just a compas and fly away in a straight line you sure to get to the other side.

• 2020 2019 2018 2017 '16 '15 '14 Customizer '13 '12 '11 '10

@ShadowHAwk:

The himalayas is pretty plausible planes of the era had a lot of issues getting over it, though they actualy used it to supply china with weapons.
    The sahara desert the only reason why they could not get past it was because of the range of the planes of the day, but since we already have planes with insane ranges ( you can fly accros the atlantic ) why not the sahara desert. Just a compas and fly away in a straight line you sure to get to the other side.

Good points.  The width of a terrain only affects the ability of aircraft to traverse it if the width exceeds the aircraft’s range, and the height of a terrain only affects the ability of aircraft to traverse it if the height exceeds the aircraft’s service ceiling.  The Himalayas (a.k.a. “The Hump”) were tough to cross, but some planes managed it.  Crossing the Sahara east-to west (or west-to east) would involve a good deal of flying, though hardly an impossible amount, but a north-south / south-north crossing would be much shorter.  As for the Pripet Marshes: given that they have a surface area smaller than the state of Virginia, the only kind of airplane which would have difficulty crossing them would be one that tried to drive across them with its landing gear still on the ground.

• 2020 2019 2018 2017

I don’t see a flight path on the map that would be shortened by being able to fly over the Pripet Marshes, so I suppose that it’s not particularly relevant from an A&A perspective whether or not planes can fly over them.

20th Anniversary Give Away

In January 2000 this site came to life and now we're celebrating our 20th Anniversary with a prize giveaway of 30+ prizes. See this link for the list of prizes and winners.
Axis & Allies Boardgaming Custom Painted Miniatures
Dean's Army Guys
T-shirts, Hats, and More

Suggested Topics

I Will Never Grow Up Games
Axis & Allies Boardgaming Custom Painted Miniatures
Dean's Army Guys

Users

Topics

1.5m