I would be remiss if I didn’t use this opportunity to shamelessly plug our G40 Balance Mod. The Mod is a collaborative project of several regulars on the TripleA gaming lobby, and, I’m proud to say, has a sizable following in the TripleA online gaming community. It achieves balance in a way that is both strategically and historically engaging. The Game Notes for the Mod, and a playable ‘saved-game’ file follow.
Hope you enjoy! And feedback is always welcome.
Global 1940 Second Edition - Balance Mod (with “Vichy France” Rule Set)
Balance Mod Credits: Adam514, aznz, Deathbringer1974, dust, dss85, Gencre, regularkid
Revised Air Raid Rules: Fighters attack and defend at 2. Strategic and tactical bombers attack at 1.
Revised Capital Capture Rules: The capture of a capital results in plunder of the enemy’s PUs only the first time that capital is taken. Subsequent recapture of the same capital results in the enemy’s PUs being destroyed.
Additional National Objectives
- 3 PUs if Russia is at war with European Axis and there are no non-Russian Allied units present in any originally Russian territory.
- 3 PUs for each originally German, Italian, or Pro-Axis neutral territory that Russia controls in mainland Europe (This replaces Russia’s “Spread of Communism” objective).
- 2 PUs for each of the following Lend-Lease lanes that is “open” (i.e., the specified Sea Zone has no enemy warships and the corresponding territory is Allied controlled) when Russia is at war with European Axis: (1) sz 125, Archangel ; (2) sz 80, Persia; (3) sz 5, Amur (This replaces Russia’s original “Lend Lease” objective).
- An additional 2 PUs per each open Lend-Lease if Japan has declared war on Russia.
- 5 PUs if Axis controls Dutch New Guinea, New Guinea, New Britain, and Solomon Islands. (This replaces Japan’s original “Strategic Perimeter” objective).
- 5 PUs if Axis controls Midway, Wake Island, and Guam.
- 5 PUs if USA is at war and Allies control Midway, Wake Island, Guam.
- 5 PUs if USA is at war and Allies control Marshall Islands, Caroline Islands, Paulau Island, Marianas.
- 5 PUs if Allies control at least 2 of: Normandy Bordeaux, Holland Belgium, Southern France, and USA has at least one land unit in any of these territories.
- 5 PUs if Allies control Morocco, Algeria, and Tunisia, and USA has at least one land unit in any of these territories.
- 3 PUs for UK Europe if Allies control at least 2 of: Sicily, Sardinia, Greece.
- 3 PUs for UK Europe if Malta, Crete, and Cyprus are Allied or pro-Allied controlled.
- 3 PUs for UK Europe if there are no enemy submarines in the Atlantic, excluding szs 112 and 125-127.
- 3 PUs for UK Pacific when at war with the Japanese if: (1) British control West India and either Egypt or South Africa; and (2) there are no enemy submarines in the western half of the Indian Ocean (sz71,…,sz81).
- 3 PUs if Malta, Cyprus, and Crete are Axis controlled.
- 3 PUs if ANZAC is at war with Japan, and Allies (not including the Dutch) control Dutch New Guinea, New Guinea, New Britain, and Solomon Islands. (This replaces ANZAC’s “Strategic Islands” Objective).
- 3 PUs if ANZAC is at war with Japan, and Gilbert Islands, Fiji, and Samoa are allied controlled.
New Unit - Marines: Cost 5; Attack at 1 (2 during amphibious assaults; no bonus from artillery); Defend at 2; Can be loaded onto cruisers and battleships (1 to a ship). Ships may only bombard the territory they unload their marines into
VICHY FRANCE RULE SET
The G40 Balance Mod may be played with or without the following rule-set, which is included for historical interest.
Game Conditions for Franco-German Armistice
At the beginning of France’s turn, if the following conditions are met, the Franco-German Armistice will occur:
1. Axis must control both France and Normandy Bordeaux;
2. France must control Southern France; and
3. There must be no non-French, Allied units in Southern France.
Game Consequences of Franco-German Armistice
French Territorial Control: At the beginning of France’s first turn in which Armistice conditions are met, all originally French territories not already under Axis control immediately change ownership to Pro-Axis Neutrals, except: (1) French Equatorial Africa; (2) New Hebrides; (2) any French territories containing non-French allied units.
With the exception of Southern France (see discussion of “Zone Libere” below), Vichy French territory works the same way as other Pro-Axis Neutral territory–i.e., an Axis player may capture Vichy French territory and commandeer its forces by moving a land unit into the territory during the non-combat phase of his turn.
Fly-over restrictions applicable to other Neutral territories do not apply to Vichy French territory.
Fleet at Toulon: In addition to the change in French territorial control, the Armistice changes control of the the French fleet in sz 93, from French to Pro-Axis neutral. The Vichy French fleet maintains a strictly defensive posture. It may not be moved. It may not be captured by the Axis. The fleet is immediately destroyed if any power, other than the Free French, occupies Southern France
"Zone Libre": Any Axis occupation of Southern France following the Armistice results in a disbandment of the Vichy French forces and a scuttling of the Vichy French fleet in sz 93. The “Zone Libre” army and fleet will revert back to Free-French control if either: (1) France is liberated by the Allies; or (2) Free-French land forces enter Southern France during the combat-movement phase of France’s turn.
Armistice’s Effect on National Objectives: Vichy French territory is considered “Axis” or “Pro-Axis” controlled for purposes of Italy’s “North Africa” and “Roman Empire” Objectives. Any direct takeover of French Indo China by Japan still negates Japan’s “Trade With America” Objective, even if the territory was already Pro-Axis Neutral.
Liberation of France: The Allied liberation of France effectively terminates the Armistice. Any territory and forces still under Vichy French control (including any surviving fleet in sz 93) revert back to Free French control.
G40 Balance Mod (Vichy and Marines and ANZAC Bonus).tsvg