How to handle the Italian fleet R1?

• '21 '20 '18 '17

Most people actually do not sacrifice the Italian Air Force at this juncture since its is harder to replace.  Scrambling does not give good odds…and any units you kill may have been moppable on I1-I2.

One of the best moves I’ve seen in keeping this creative is to send not just 1 German Fighter to aid SZ 97, but 1-2 German Fighters and 1 Tac to cover the Italian fleet.  Then, scramble, and the losses all fall on Germany.  Combining this with an Italy-Takes-Paris gambit is quite effective.  The only problem is that most of the available German planes cannot both optimally attack and then also land in Southern Italy…

• Again: WHY SHOULD YOU SACRIFICE ANY AXIS PLANES IN SCRAMBLING WHEN GERMANY CAN TAKE THE WHOLE UK-FLEET OUT IN G2 WITH MINIMAL LOSSES???

• Thanks! But I still don’t agree. I don’t think the axis should risk 3 fighters, but I must say that is also because we play by different dice rules (we add up all attacking and defensing value, so there is less risk involved for the allies).

• I put a German fighter there for the option to scramble three just to force the UK to commit max assets to the attack (destroy UK surface fleet in the G2 counter instead), but I don’t actually scramble them.

• @ShadowHAwk:

@SubmersedElk:

I put a German fighter there for the option to scramble three just to force the UK to commit max assets to the attack (destroy UK surface fleet in the G2 counter instead), but I don’t actually scramble them.

It is the possible scramble that forces the UK to overcommit. If they dont then you scramble if they do you dont scramble.

Sometimes it might be more beneficial to move your fleet off gibraltar and get an airbase there. Good luck germany destroying the fleet there.

Engeland can’t afford to buy one in the first round, they have to protect their homeland. Or how do you defend England, when Germany is threatening Sea Lion?

• With a sub bid (which is apparently universal) Taranto is still an 80% attack vs. scramble with no assets from England other than the bomber. So you can keep ftrs in England and max build defensively to repel Sealion while still hitting the Italian fleet.

It really does seem to compel a G1 fleet build - for the price of a carrier, sub, and DD you can give Italy chances in a key battle while forcing UK to spend its resources defensively instead of building strength in Africa, not to mention all the strategic options that open up for Germany if it can keep a fleet in the water. When G2 rolls around you’ve still got your options open and can make decisions on what to do next based on how the Allies set up defensively in round 1.

• The Germans don’t have to break through anything. They just land in SZ 109 (from SZ 112)…

• @ShadowHAwk:

@Tolstoj:

The Germans don’t have to break through anything. They just land in SZ 109 (from SZ 112)…

It takes only 1 destroyer to block that path though. so 1 more round saved for the UK

If you would only have a IC in Scotland… ;)

Where will you buy that destroyer? You cannot reach SZ 111 or 112 from 92.

• But thanks for the arguments! I’m trying the SZ 92 move in a game right now. My opponent can kill off the British ships, but decides it would cost too much. Would you or your opponents kill the British fleet at Gibraltar?

• I was just looking at the map. UK has to buy in UK2 a destroyer in SZ 106 to prevent the attack…

• Yes indeed!

And how about the German counter to the British fleet in SZ 92? If Italy takes Algeria or Morocco, they will have 12 air units to attack…

• The Germans can attack on G3. Where do you put your carrier if it survives round 1? Then Italy could capture Morocco or Algeria if you move from SZ92…

I don’t know if Germany should do it, but sometimes they can…

• '15

I’d gladly sacrifice a large UK navy and some planes if it means the Luftwaffe taking heavy losses.  As far as I can see, mutual annihilation usually benefits the Allies

Suggested Topics

Axis & Allies Boardgaming Custom Painted Miniatures

Users

Topics

1.7m