• Customizer

Remake Enterprise but make it any good.

Have interesting alien contact stories instead of people with bits of plastic glued to their faces as avatars for non-American human societies.

Do a series based on the parallel universe from Mirror, Mirror where the Federation is an Empire and we have to do it to the Aliens before they do it to us.

• Id rather have the show be about stories where Aliens argue about what roundels to use and tell Capt. Kirk that his maps are inaccurate.

• '18 '17 '16 '11 Moderator

I don’t care how bad it is, it will be good to me because it’s Trek.  Anything Trek is good!  (Except maybe DS 9.  Wasn’t a HUGE fan of DS 9 until Worf moved over…even then, it felt weird like I was cheating on TNG with another show…)

• '18 '17 '16 '15 Customizer

@Cmdr:

Anything Trek is good!

Ahhh… I don’t quite agree with that. There has been some truly bad Star Trek in the past, not counting the new stuff.

60% of Season 1 TNG should never have been made. And TNG is my show.

• Customizer

I want Klingons like they were in TOS, not the hideous TNG mutants. They disgust me. They repel me. They make me want to puke.

@Flashman:

I want Klingons like they were in TOS, not the hideous TNG mutants. They disgust me. They repel me. They make me want to puke.

Even Lursa and B’Etor?

@Flashman:

Yea but I am afraid the old Klingons will be too busy with Marty McFly running around the space time continuum!

None of TNG was “bad” it just could have been better, IMHO.  First season was a lot, in feel, with TOS, wasn’t it?

@Cmdr:

None of TNG was “bad” it just could have been better, IMHO.  First season was a lot, in feel, with TOS, wasn’t it?

60% was a bit of an exaggeration, but I will name a few first season episodes that were pretty much terrible: “Justice”, “Code of Honor”, “The Naked Now”, “Skin of Evil”. Even though “Shades of Gray” is in season two, any clip episode has to be included. If you are going to pick some random TNG to watch, how likely is it that you pick “Shades of Gray” over any other episode?

First season TNG was a lot like TOS, but that doesn’t make it good. TOS can be accepted for what it was and a product of its time: it was fairly revolutionary and actually had some meaningful drama for its era. TNG has much more to live up to considering the heights to which the show rose. That is a good thing, but makes the primitive nature of season one clash with the more sophisticated later stuff. In comparison, many points in season one are just laughably bad. I was watching season one all the way through again recently and cringed at a lot of it. There are lots of good points too, but I think that some of it can be said to be objectively poor. To each his (her) own though.

http://www.denofgeek.us/tv/star-trek/250227/star-trek-what-do-we-want-from-the-new-tv-series

This is a fair expectation of the new series. Pretty much fits what I would expect given our culture and TV watching habits today.

I have been expecting for some time that any new Trek show would include some contemporary socially disenfranchised individual based solely on Star Trek’s penchant for progressivism. In this instance, if it is an LGBT person, Star Trek will actually be behind the curve since many other shows have already done that. TNG didn’t exactly have an Uhura, Chekov or Sulu or any regular cast member who was marginalized minority, so I don’t think that the new show has to either, though I wouldn’t at all be surprised if it ends up having one.

I think the real question is if the new show continues the even more core aspect of Star Trek’s exploration of humanity with an emotion-less character. IMO it would be redundant and probably un-creative for the writers to imitate or create another Spock or Data. I just feel like any attempt to match those characters will both come short and seem much too trite by this point. The writers should figure out another route for the “what makes us human” approach.

Everything in the article sounds pretty good, until you come back to reality and remember that, ah… damn. Its Alex Kurtzman. Well that was a nice fantasy……

• @Cmdr:

None of TNG was “bad” it just could have been better, IMHO.  First season was a lot, in feel, with TOS, wasn’t it?Â

Yes, and apparently one of the reasons both for the similarity with TOS and for the uneven quality of the episodes was the Gene Roddenberry had more control of TNG in the first season than he did subsequently.  Roddenberry’s idealism sometimes clashed with the requirements of television drama: his wish to depict Starfleet personnel as peaceful and progressive allegedly made him insist that they never be shown in conflict with each other (unless they were, let’s say, under some kind of alien influence).  Any conflicts depicted on the show had to be restricted to conflicts with people external to the primary characters – preferably non-Starfleet / non-Federation people.  Unfortunately, this imposed severe limitations on the kinds of stories the writers could come up with.  After all, can you imagine what Voyager or Enterprise or (perhaps especially) DS9 would have been like if no conflict had been allowed between the primary characters?

@CWO:

Yes, and apparently one of the reasons both for the similarity with TOS and for the uneven quality of the episodes was the Gene Roddenberry had more control of TNG in the first season than he did subsequently.  Roddenberry’s idealism sometimes clashed with the requirements of television drama: his wish to depict Starfleet personnel as peaceful and progressive allegedly made him insist that they never be shown in conflict with each other (unless they were, let’s say, under some kind of alien influence).  Any conflicts depicted on the show had to be restricted to conflicts with people external to the primary characters – preferably non-Starfleet / non-Federation people.  Unfortunately, this imposed severe limitations on the kinds of stories the writers could come up with.  After all, can you imagine what Voyager or Enterprise or (perhaps especially) DS9 would have been like if no conflict had been allowed between the primary characters?

William Shatner just made this documentary (Chaos on the Bridge) with help from many of the TNG writers, cast and those in-the-know. I don’t know if it is truly a hit-piece on Roddenberry, but it looks really interesting. I have known the general situation with Roddenberry controlling the creative process and hampering TNG development, but this is a more authoritative and definitive look at the whole deal. I want to watch.

http://io9.com/a-new-documentary-shows-how-gene-roddenberry-almost-kil-1721153875

I had heard that before, Marc.  Roddenbury was very anti-inter personnel conflict with bridge characters.  IMHO, a little strife on the bridge saved Enterprise from being a total waste.  I actually kind of liked Enterprise.  Not all of it, but there were quite a few good episodes.  There was also the conflict between Paris and Janeway, Torres and everyone and that might be a bit of why I enjoyed Voyager.

• '17 '16 '15 '12

any of you Star Trek fans ever came across startrekcontinues.com?

fan-made episodes 100% in sync with TOS, continuing where the show ended. James Doohans son playing Scotty, even. Its not action, but again is centered about human issues.

I just discovered it today and watched three episodes, its really really noce, with lots of ties to earlier episodes, or continuations of them.

Am I nostalgic? Damn, yes, but thats one kind of Star Trek I want to see. I also watched the prologue to Star Trek Axanar (think thats how it was spelled), a series or movie depixting the Klingon / Fed war a couple years before Kirk took over. Prologue was nicely done, featured Hertzler (Martok) and Todd (think that was Kurn) in fed roles, funny to hear. They are under legal fire now from CBS, not sure how it will end, but seems to have a lot of star power behind it. Looked good, more action-oriented, but made with the same love as StarTrek continues.

Sorry if that is old news and has been discussed already.

I am not into the fan-fiction stuff. Some of it may be well done, but in the end it feels more like an imitation rather than the real thing itself. I have heard of Anaxar Axanar though and what I have heard is positive. I wish something like that would be produced by CBS and put back on television, but I doubt that is what the new series will be like.

• '17 '16 '15 '12

It is an imitation, oc you are right there. But it lacks a goofy look or such things. Its amazing how they captured TOS, music, way of acting, Sulus voice etc. The added things, Marina Sirtis is the computer voice now, they have a holodeck and a counselor. One simply doesnt notice its fan made, other than the (sometimes just slightly) different faces.

Lets hope for Axanar and any new and original CBS stuff. I cant stand another “Starkiller is in weaponsrange in 30 seconds…boom” moment.

Oh, I am not opposed to trying it out and watching it. I may even like it if it is well done. Typically the fan produced shows are more accurate and respectful than studio ones because it is being made by the nerds for the nerds. In that way, it is better than a studio show will be.

However, it still feels kinda like an exercise in futility because, even though Star Trek itself is not real, fan fiction is even less real. Not in the quality necessarily, but more in an absolute manner. It will never be referenced in books, movies or other shows because it never officially happened. I think I may find it hard to enjoy what Trek was and will be if I invested myself so much in what was an unsanctioned offshoot. It would be like living in an alternate universe; you just pretend the real universe doesn’t exist.

I grant you, JJ Abrams (and the studio execs) screwed everything up royally. They have basically forced real Trek fans to plug their ears and sing la-la-la-la-la so as not to accept the bungled mess that the franchise is in. If the studio can blow it all into alternate realities then I guess fans have every right to also.

@alexgreat:

It is an imitation, oc you are right there. But it lacks a goofy look or such things. Its amazing how they captured TOS, music, way of acting, Sulus voice etc. The added things, Marina Sirtis is the computer voice now, they have a holodeck and a counselor. One simply doesnt notice its fan made, other than the (sometimes just slightly) different faces.

Lets hope for Axanar and any new and original CBS stuff. I cant stand another “Starkiller is in weaponsrange in 30 seconds…boom” moment.

You must , PLEASE read this article… It is absolutely brilliant. It conveys to perfection exactly how I would feel about Star Trek fan-fiction and also pretty much how I regard JJ Abrams’ version of Star Trek. Happy because it is back, but sad because the real one is dead.

http://douthat.blogs.nytimes.com/2015/12/18/requiem-for-star-wars/?module=BlogPost-Title&version=Blog%20Main&contentCollection=Opinion&action=Click&pgtype=Blogs®ion=Body&_r=1

• @LHoffman:

You must , PLEASE read this article… It is absolutely brilliant. It conveys to perfection exactly how I would feel about Star Trek fan-fiction and also pretty much how I regard JJ Abrams’ version of Star Trek. Happy because it is back, but sad because the real one is dead.

Excellent article – thanks for the link.

To draw and A&A analogy, one could say that fan fiction is the equivalent of house rules: unofficial, but sometimes (arguably) better than some elements of the official product line.

• '17 '16 '15 '12

will read it, and eloquently put about screwing up royally :)

• '17 '16 '15 '12

hm. Its a very good analysis, well written, but personally I dont agree entirely.

The most important thing right now seems to be the, whats the correct English translation, most common denominator? Screw people who want things to fit, who want at least a bone thrown how the whole new thing ties in and developed (I am talking about JJ Star Wars), lets just overload people with soundbits and iconic things they love, add the unavoidable action factor of a 201+ movie and, to play it totally safe, repeat what has been before. Cant fail with a squadron attack on a Death Star thing.

For JJ Star Trek, same thing. Yes, I found it appealing to a degree when the movie evolved and let, this time, Spock cry Khan while Kirk dies of radiation. But in the end its so cheap I could cry, and the (intended) side effect is blowing away the old canon. Vulcan? WTF, blow it away. The rest, just put it through a mirror or adapt slightly.

So some people are young and just discover those two franchises, others are consumers of an entertaining movie and dont bother about the “lore”, others live with it for decades, immerse themselves (yes, get enarmored with some things like, in my case, Mara Jade or the Romulans and are biased towards the movies already when those things are gone) and ask for a bit more. I dont feel the latter group is really served. Partly, I understand, because nowadays everything costs so much, they have to be successful. Without massive special effects nobody is coming, thats the fear they have, I guess. Not sure if thats true, but too a part it surely is.

In the end, as the author said, we get recreation, no development at all. Star Wars could have gone anywhere, not necessarily the great Thrawn Trilogy, but no, they went mostly nowhere. Star Trek, jumpstarting the franchise, they went simply back. Thats not bold, and certainly not where no man had gone before.

I agree with you entirely, watching something that is not “official” has not the right feel, and it wont matter in official compendia etc. But with the indiscriminate slashing of what has grown organically, what is official and whatnot can change so quickly (and for the worse, in my personal opinion), that any fan-created piece has the same legitimacy (correct word?) as the studio staff. All the ore enjoyable when its so well done. Even if the voice in the back of the head says “its not real”.

Suggested Topics

Axis & Allies Boardgaming Custom Painted Miniatures

Users

Topics

1.7m