• This institution has formally made my political shit list, along with Jerry Falwell, Pat Robertson, Sean Hannity, Rush Limbaugh, and George W. Bush.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bob_Jones_University

rom its 1927 founding to 1971, African American people were prohibited from enrolling. From 1971 to 1975, only married black people were permitted to apply to the school. After the 1975 court decision of McCrary v. Runyon, which prohibited racial exclusion from private schools, the policy was changed. A person of any race could apply to the school, but the school adopted a disciplinary rule prohibiting interracial dating or marriage:

There is to be no interracial dating.

1. Students who are partners in an interracial marriage will be expelled. [461 U.S. 574, 581]
          2. Students who are members of or affiliated with any group or organization which holds as one of its goals or advocates interracial marriage will be expelled.
          3. Students who date outside of their own race will be expelled.
          4. Students who espouse, promote, or encourage others to violate the University’s dating rules and regulations will be expelled."

Students in residence halls are not allowed to watch any films with a rating higher than a G rating when visiting local homes and are forbidden from visiting cinemas. Additionally, students are not permitted to play, use, or own video games that are rated T, M, or Ao, or that have any kind of profanity, sensual or suggestive dress, rock music, blood and gore, or demonic themes.

Students are provided with an individual email account which is filtered through the campus email system to prevent questionable content.

DVD/VCRs are not allowed in residence halls; DVD players as part of computer systems cannot be used for watching films. Televisions may be used only as monitors for video game consoles.

• Curfew is at 10:25 pm and all lights must be out by 12 am.
          * Students are required to sign out when they leave campus. This rule does not apply to students with Junior and Senior privileges, who are free to leave without signing out between the hours of 7 am and 7 pm.
          * Unfiltered wireless internet access via computer, mobile phone, or satellite phone is prohibited. However, the university provides content-filtered Wi-fi service for student use.

I can’t believe this breeder of Christian androids is given the title “University”. You could get more freedom at a 13th century Monastary combined with Stalinist Russia. And people claim that hardcore liberals are dangerous.

• Hey they are a private university so i guess they can run it in the past. Try running a “meat eaters club” in Berkley. You will get a Molotov cocktail thrown in your window on a daily basis. If you drive thru compton playing Barry Manilow you get your tires shot out after the first block.

• Yanny, its a university. a private one. that means that no one who doesnt want to be there has to be there. which means those people who go there choose to be there, and probably like the rules set forth, otherwise they wouldnt be there. they arent doing anything wrong, and if they have those rules, and can continue to operate, so be it. the interracial part is troubling, but again, private institution. i dont know why anyone would go there if the rules would cause problems for them anyway. sadly, the only way to eliminate places like this with their rules is to fight it societally. tell a private institution to stop its banning of interracial dating, you will only fan the flames for the rascist people.

It is a “prestigious” southern school and that was the 60’s what do YOU EXPECT!!! So your first posts about the Interracial Marriage junk that they tried to keep doesn’t count… ya, they were mindless idiots… I agree… And they still have some stupid policies

As for the rest define what A “Conservative Christian University” might look like and post it here… Otherwise I don’t see the difference in judging any other school and getting “well that is because your a mindless conservative stuff”… btw I have taken some Abeka Courses via Homeschooling… and no I would never go to BJU…

GG

• Just a quick point, but banning interracial marriage wasn’t made illegal throughout the United States until 1973.  I don’t think the fact that it was in the 60s matters all that much, since it was a minority of states that had laws prohibiting the practice.  They had plenty of examples of how it worked well and fine, but chose not to go that route.  In that regard, I think it’s fine to question their judgment.

• Yanny,

A couple of questions,

1. Are you sure these rules are accurate?  Note the following link where wikipedia was either inadvertently or even perhaps intentionally wrong to the detriment of an individual:

http://www.upi.com/NewsTrack/view.php?StoryID=20051205-091148-6438r

Wikipedia’s accuracy challenged again
    NEW YORK, Dec. 5 (UPI) – A former Tennessee newspaper publisher has challenged the accuracy and ethics of the free, user-written Wikipedia online encyclopedia.

John Seigenthaler, 78, said he was shocked to see the write-up on him by an anonymous contributor that claimed he “was thought to have been directly involved in the Kennedy assassinations of both John and his brother Bobby.”
    Seigenthaler, the former editor of The Tennessean newspaper, wrote in USA Today he had learned that the writer was a customer of BellSouth Internet, but that federal privacy laws shield the identity of Internet customers, even if they disseminate defamatory material. And the laws protect online corporations from libel suits.

Seigenthaler decided against going to court, but wrote “that Wikipedia is a flawed and irresponsible research tool.”

His biography has since been corrected, The New York Times reported.

The non-profit enterprise was launched in January 2001, the brainchild of Jimmy Wales, 39, a former futures and options trader who lives in Florida. The site receives 2.5 billion page views a month, and offers at least 1,000 articles in 82 languages.

1. If this is an accurate code of conduct for the school, is it todays version or a version from 1975?  While its fine to fault them for their beliefs at that time, its also possible they have changed since then.  If they have “liberalized” their stance since then, they should be held in higher regard.

• It is a students choice to go there, so it doesnt seem like these restrictions are unwanted. They seem a little to protective to me.

• Yanny, its a university. a private one.

I’m not saying that anything illegal is going on (Though I am astonished to see the interracial marriage rule on the books as little as five years ago). I’m just saying that it is pitiful that students could want to go to this school.

I can’t verify it for wikipedia.

But seriously, who the hell would ever want to go here?

• clearly, people would, or it would not continue to operate, or it would have changed its rules.

Suggested Topics

Axis & Allies Boardgaming Custom Painted Miniatures

Users

Topics

1.7m