Any need for French units beyond the setup?

• @teslas:

@Young:

This is what I ordered…

1X Battleship
    http://www.historicalboardgaming.com/Battleship–Celery-Green--United-Kingdom-Revised-2004_p_203.html

I think you could safely live without a French battleship.

:-) True that, unless you want to leave the option of a great way for the Allied player to say “I’m owning you” without having to verbalize it.  I prefer the French take of Japan for that, though

• Sponsor

@teslas:

@Young:

This is what I ordered…

1X Battleship
    http://www.historicalboardgaming.com/Battleship–Celery-Green--United-Kingdom-Revised-2004_p_203.html

I think you could safely live without a French battleship.

I think it’s the OCD in me that wants a full set of all available units, even if some will just collect dust in the tray.  :|

• '15

Well, in that case, those russian battleships will have someone to hang out with if nothing else.

• @Young:

I think it’s the OCD in me that wants a full set of all available units, even if some will just collect dust in the tray.Â

I feel the same way about China’s OOB lack of units other than infantry.  I’m thinking of giving it the very-roughly-similar-yellowish-green British equiment pieces from A&A 1914, just because I don’t like how empty its storage tray looks.  And arguably, if China were to have any equipment at all, it would be appropriate for it to look like antiquated WWI-era stuff.  China did actually have a few pre-dreadnought battleships in its navy at the time of the First Sino-Japanese War, back in 1894.

• There was one game where my French units were literally essential in winning. The Battle of France cost the German player all but his tanks. The French DD and Cruiser killed its Italian attackers, survived, and saved a British fleet next to Gibraltar, so that UK could build an airbase there, which forever denied Italy its NO´s. The DD by Africa turns later could block a Japanese fleet from invading India, which after that never got captured.

• Iam truly surprised by the voting here.  Appalled at the lack on replies… maybe folks here play too well for rookie strategies  :)

They are almost the only pieces that can keep the Danish Straits open!

A good US player would always use the French units. I have , and extremely effectively too!

The way to go about is thus:

1. US TR goes to Brazil, and picks up a unit… and a French unit from W. Africa
    2. 2 US TRs pick up 4 retreating French units in Morocco
    3. 1 empty US/UK TR picks up the 2 units in London! Gibralter TRs are poised to go into Med… or toward Norway or W. Germany.
    4. Normandy!  US take Denmark and hits W. Germany
    5. Italy takes back W. Germany!!
    6. France takes back W. Germany!!! The French FTR role here cannot be understated!
      (remember Denmark is still is in Allied Hands)
    7. Germany builds in Germany and either retreats planes from Russia…
      or…Berlin is in mortal threat…
      because
    8. US planes kamikaze attack on Germany proper (berlin)… CVs move into Baltic Sea to provide landing spot for UK FTR
    9. UK usually takes Germany.

I have played this combo once - very effectively - this summer… and the moment Berlin falls in this manner, the Axis lose heart. Game over.

Only the French, going last… have the ability to take out the Italian units in W. Germany… helping Denmark to stay in Allied hands…

The threat to Berlin is so huge that Germany has to pull units from Eastern front… buys time for Russian units in Siberia to shore up Moscow defense.

French units are essential… and the French player should know at least this ONE thing if anything at all.

• Um, you are very, very wrong to say only France can do these things.  ANZAC goes between Italy and Germany too, and they’re more effective at doing what you’re talking about than the sorry French are.  They can actually transport their own units, and have bombers and fighters in position around Europe.  The French have one fighter max, and that’s if you didn’t scramble it to its death on G1

Also, the thread is about needing more French units, as in, if France is liberated.  So your post wasn’t even on topic.  :roll:

Read the poll question again!  Do you use French units BEYOND what you have at setup?  That means, do you ever liberate Paris and build units with France!

Don’t put too much stock in the poll numbers, Young Grasshopper.  Some people didn’t even understand the premise of the question.

• Customizer

@teslas:

Well, in that case, those russian battleships will have someone to hang out with if nothing else.

Are you kidding? One of the first things Russia does is to buy a big fleet of battleships and cruisers. It’s the best way to protect Moscow. Because then Germany says, “Why are the Bolsheviks building a fleet. We can’t let them out-navy us. We must build a powerful Aryan fleet!” So they start building battleships and cruisers.
    Moscow ends up surviving with just 2 Anti Aircraft Guns for protection.

Of course this is just a joke. Could you imagine if all the countries just went crazy building huge fleets?

• The ANZAC units come too late, and not enough land units to affect the Turn 6 takedown of W. Germany.

• I believe i read the poll question correctly YG  :wink:  The additional 4 unit bonus from liberating Paris is the only extra French units i’ve used in the OOB set up.  Oztea’s 1941 asks for a bit more, which is fun, but obviously for a mod.  Your purchases will be more than adequate IMO.  The real question I want to know is…what’s this new UK Pacific Nation you speak of??  Excited to hear about that!

Suggested Topics

Axis & Allies Boardgaming Custom Painted Miniatures

Users

Topics

1.7m