• ~  just wondering, i can’t find the rule and maybe I am just overlooking it.  But does a troop who is in the same hex as a vehicle get rear defense against it?

• When your soldier units are in the same hex as the enemy vehicle, use the vehicle’s rear defense.  You can find that in the rules.

• Founder TripleA Admin

I’ll second that.

• that is correct Dr Jones…

• May a vehicle pass through a hex containing another vehicle, as long as it doesn’t end its move in that hex??
    I believe it may… can’t quite remember.

Of course, this would likely have to be a friendly vehicle thing… Defensive fire would likely stop one from moving a vehcile through a hex with an enemy vehicle.

Vehicle.  Vehicle.  Vehicle.

• a V can move trough a hex with another V in it, as long as it can keep going through it. if the V is disrupted in a defensive fire situation then it goes to the hex that it used to entire the hex with the V in it. at least thats what i think the rule is.

• Yeah, that is correct.  Technically you can have a total 4 total units in a hex (if I understand the rules correctly):  2 Axis & 2 Allies, but of all those only 1 can be a vehicle.  Another vehicle can pass through this hex as long as it doesn’t stop in the hex… and if it gets disrupted it moves to the hex it entered from (if I remember that correctly as well).  So I’m in agreement with Major Konings.  I think I’m gonna have to bring a rule book to work, I keep reading all these questions and end up pondering it until I get home!  :)

• so if I understand, if a vehicule passes through 2 consecutive hexes with a vehicule in it and gets disrupted by the defensive-fire of the second one, the moving vehicule would “warp” back to the hex he used to enter the first hex with a vehicule?

• Yes.  The rules state you can move where you’d like as long as stopping movement doesn’t violate the stacking limit in a hex.

• so, technically, a vehicule could make all its movement along a road filled with enemy tanks, and if the fourth enemy tank successfully disrupt your vehicule, it would go back four hexes, perhaps out of the line of sight of the tank that disrupted it?  That’s just weird…

• Yes… it could happen… but would be rather improbable.
    I guess it is one of those things that can’t be avoided because of a certain rule.

• Founder TripleA Admin

@killercelery:

so, technically, a vehicule could make all its movement along a road filled with enemy tanks, and if the fourth enemy tank successfully disrupt your vehicule, it would go back four hexes, perhaps out of the line of sight of the tank that disrupted it?  That’s just weird…

The spelling is V-E-H-I-C-L-E, vehicle.

No. I believe the rule is that if the vehicle cannot be placed in the hex that it came from, your opponent chooses which hex the vehicle ends up in.

• i cant find my rule book, could some one actually look this up so we can put this topic to rest, plus you know this is kind of an important thing to know.

• Actually, I’m not getting much help from reading the rules.  It basically states that Defensive Fire can occur in the starting hex or the hex the unit is moving into.  Sounds to me like they assume you would start in a hex adjacent to an enemy at the beginning of your move… so there would be no vehicle in that hex except the involved unit to begin with.

Ahhh… but I was doing something wrong.  Soldiers can’t draw Defensive Fire from vehicles.  I’m glad I looked that up!

• Here they are right from the rules.–--  And a reminder for all you nuts who, like me, think about these rules during the day, you can download them to a PDF document from the Avalon Hill homepage and check them out.  Glossary is especially helpful.

Stacking

A unit can only end its movement in a hex if there’s room for it in that hex.

Stacking with Friendly Units: You can only have two friendly units in a single hex, and no more than one of those units can be a Vehicle.

Stacking with Enemy Units: A hex can contain up to two units of each army. Only one of those four units can be a Vehicle.

Stacking While Moving: The stacking limit applies only at the end of each unit’s move. In other words, you can ignore the limit while moving a unit, and drive or move through full hexes as long as you end in a hex that isn’t overstacked.

Breaking Stacking Rules: Your unit can’t be forced to stop in a hex where stopping would break the stacking limit. For example, if your Vehicle is disrupted by defensive fire before it can move out of a hex containing a second Vehicle, stopping in the hex would break the stacking rule. In such a case, retrace the unit’s path and leave it in the last hex where it can legally stop.

• Here are the d-fire rules…

Just keep it simple…  when you move a unit… from one hex to another… if both those hexes are adjacent to an enemy unit, then that enemy unit can try to disrupt you.

Adjacent means same hex or bordering hex.

In some cases, you are forced to use defensive fire while the moving enemy unit is in a particular hex.  For instance, if an enemy tank tries to move out of a hex containing one of your soldiers, if you choose to use defensive fire, you would likely have to do so while the tank is in the first hex (your hex).  That’s because once the tank is in the next hex (one hex away), most soldiers attack value at Range 1 can’t result in enough successes to match the defense of the tank to disrupt it.

Provoking Defensive Fire: A unit provokes defensive fire when it moves from one hex adjacent to an enemy unit into another hex adjacent to that same enemy unit. The hex a unit is in counts as adjacent to that unit.

Soldiers and Vehicles: Soldiers don’t provoke defensive fire from Vehicles. They can move around an enemy tank or even enter its hex without getting shot at by that Vehicle. Soldiers can exploit enemy Vehicles’ blind spots to move safely around them, but enemy Soldiers see them just fine.

Defensive-Fire Limit: A given unit can make only one defensive-fire attack per phase. For example, a US bazooka team fires defensively against a German tank in the Axis player’s movement phase, but when a second German tank moves into the bazooka team’s hex in the same movement phase, the bazooka team can’t use defensive fire—it’s already fired defensively this phase. During the Axis player’s assault phase, the bazooka team will be able to use defensive fire again.

Optional Defensive Fire: You aren’t required to use your defensive fire if you don’t want to. For example, if your opponent moves a weak unit to provoke defensive fire from one of your units, you can choose to “hold your fire” and let the weak unit pass in order to be able to use defensive fire against a more dangerous enemy moving later in the phase.

Multiple Defensive Fire: If more than one unit has the option to take defensive fire, you can make one unit’s attack before deciding whether the other units also attack.

Suggested Topics

Axis & Allies Boardgaming Custom Painted Miniatures

Users

Topics

1.7m