• What would I need to do to take a copy of AA42 2nd edition, and convert it to play a homemade AA50? Obviously I would need to print my own AA50 map, get sculpts for Italy, and download the different rule set.

But beyond that, what else would be needed to accomplish this? I’ve been trying to find a the differences, but can’t quite figure them all out with certainty.

Would also love input/advice/experiences on printing your own maps? What type of material used, how big, cost, etc.

Thanks for your input!!

• '18 '17 '16 '15 Customizer

CR7, you will need the Chinese sculpts, as well.

You will also need the roundels for both Italy and China.

As far as the map, it depends on what size you want.

Vinyl will be your cheapest route, I believe, but you can get metal, if you want sturdiness.

You can get maps from under a $100.00 to over $500.00 for water proof metal maps. It really depends on your pocket book, and what you want.

I hope that helps. :-)

John

• The concept of putting together a do-it-yourself version of Global 1940 has been raised a few times before, for example here…

http://www.axisandallies.org/forums/index.php?topic=36009.0

…and some people (including me) were of the opinion that you’re actually better off getting the real Europe 1940 and Pacific 1940 games.  The do-it-yourself method may be more trouble than it’s worth, may not necessarily save you much (if any) money, will in all likelihood produce a game that will have a patchwork appearance, and may not even produce a game that has everything you need to function.

• Doing it yourself can be cost effective if a game is OOP and sells for a steep premium like AA50.  Otherwise, yes, it is almost always more cost effective to simply buy the in-print game.  Doing it yourself is great if you enjoy the hobby of crafting something or want something unique. But it’s not a way to save money.

Suggested Topics

Axis & Allies Boardgaming Custom Painted Miniatures

Users

Topics

1.7m