Setup modification to make the Med interesting

• Sponsor

What if the setup was modified to include an air base in Northern Italy, and an airbase in Gibraltar?

• '15

An airbase in Gib would be a massive boon to the Allies.  Or the Axis.  Really, whoever gets it.  I find myself building one pretty often, no matter which side I’m playing.

The N. Italy one seems rather pointless.  I mean, you could land some extra planes there and get 6 on defense, but, meh.  Same result with building one in Yugo or Greece later on.  It does kill Taranto, tho.  Hrm.

• '22 '20 '19 '18 '17 '16

For good measure I’d add infantry garrisons to Gibraltar and Sicily since the former would become an even juicier target. But I like the idea a lot.

• Well, making Taranto basically impossible would certainly change things a lot. The UK fleet would probably retreat to Gibraltar for defense.
    Might make a Tobruk attack turn 1 much more common.

• AB on Gibraltar would give the allies a major boost once more. The US/UK would be able to bring fleet over and stack the Gib sz a turn sooner then normal w/o worrying about a strike from the Luftwaffe because of the scramble. Even if the Italians open up a landing spot for the Luftwaffe to land in N Africa, the Germans probably aren’t going to risk it with 3 more ftrs sitting on the AB in Gib. I will say as the allies I miss it though.

As the others have said an AB on N Italy would put a stop to Taranto. Probably not good for the game, and I don’t like to make changes that will effect the first round of play (that’s why I’m not a fan of bids that allow immediate placement in key areas at set-up). Maybe Sicily would be a better place for an Italian AB and historically correct as well. Sicily was an important air base to the axis, was used to harass allied shipping in the Med, and offered protection for the Italian ships as well. It wouldn’t have an effect on the opening moves either.

In game terms the pro for the axis is they could use it to def sz 95 with up to 6 air units when the US comes a calling. I don’t think it would stop the allies, but could delay them for a turn if the axis put 3 frts on Sicily. Sicily could become a target for the US as well (lets face it Sicily is irrelevant in G40). I think you might have to add a an inf or two there at set-up?

In the long term though the con for the axis is an AB on Sicily might help the USA. Say the axis have 6 air units that could scramble (3 S Italy, 3 Sicily). This delays the US attack on the Italian fleet, but eventually they manage to force the axis air out (or kill it), destroy whats left of the Italian fleet, and Invade Sicily the same turn. Then good ole UK drops 3 ftrs on Sicily to protect the Damaged US fleet in sz 95, which hurts the Luftwaffe counter attack (maybe not so good for axis lol).

• My vote would be either an AB in Gib or Sicily, not in Nortaly. 8-)
    It surely adds more salt into the game.

• '15

In a game without bids, the med is still interesting in 50% of my games, and nearly all games I have ever played involve Taranto. Granted, 50% is not 100%, but still, it happens pretty often. In a game without bids, the Med can be, and often is, simply more fun and more interesting. I’m not saying no Allied help, mind you, just not a bidding system (I have been recently playing with +10 IPCs/turn -> USA).

In a game with bids, those bids often put a UK sub there to make Taranto nigh un-losable, and even an extra Inf in Alexandria/Egypt on top of that, and yeah, I can see how that pretty much ends the intrigue.

Suggested Topics

Axis & Allies Boardgaming Custom Painted Miniatures

Users

Topics

1.7m