• Can USA move ships and/or transports in sz 121 and unload units in Greenland while it is not at war?

• From page 37 of the second edition manual:

“While not at war with Germany or Italy, the United States may end the movement of its sea units on the Europe map only in sea zones that are adjacent to U.S. territories, with one exception: U.S. warships (not transports) may also conduct long-range patrols into sea zone 102.”

Thus, yes you may drop off US units there and have US ships in sz 121 while not at war.

edit: also from page 15:

“A neutral power can’t move land or air units into or through neutral territories. It can’t move units into or through territories or onto ships belonging to another power”

• Ok thanks.

The doubt was about the sentence “adjacent to U.S. territories” and Greenland has never been an american state… but in the game it is marked as US territory… so it’s ok.

• Customizer

I believe the US had military bases in Greenland back in the 40s. In fact, I think we still do. It seems like I heard a reference in a movie of a military person getting transferred to Greenland.

I don’t think Greenland is an actual US territory though. Is Greenland a sovereign nation? Or is it part of Canada? Or a part of the British Empire?

• Greenland is an autonomous territory of Denmark. Interestingly, it is not in the EU, even though Denmark is (whereas French Guiana is in the EU).

• Greenland was occupied by the US is April 1941, to pre-empt any possibility of Germany doing likewise.  In this respect the G40 Map is wrong because the US occupation of Greenland occured ten months after the game’s June 1940 start date.

• 2023 '22 '21 '20 '19 '18 '17

Yes, this was similar to the UK taking control of Iceland after Denmark fell. It became a UK protectorate so it couldn’t fall to the Germans. Same with Greenland. I think for the sake of gameplay they just made it U.S. earlier since there is no Denmark as a separate nation on the board. Of course, in saying that, that doesn’t explain having the DEI’s actually being Dutch still. Details details  :-)

• Why not build a naval base in Greenland  then? get some men into uk fast in case of sealion, especially if a J1 happens?

• 2023 '22 '21 '20 '19 '18 '17

@SJS063:

Why not build a naval base in Greenland  then? get some men into uk fast in case of sealion, especially if a J1 happens?

Well if it’s a J1 then you’d be better off just having a NB built on Iceland on UK’s turn, that way you could reach the UK from the Eastern US in 2 turns. If you build a NB in Greenland you can’t reach UK for 3 turns. Sure, you could reach Scotland in 2 turns, from Eastern US via Greenland, but in terms of assisting during a Sea Lion there’s not much of a difference there.

• '21 '20 '18 '17 '16 '15 TripleA

@SJS063:

Why not build a naval base in Greenland  then? get some men into uk fast in case of sealion, especially if a J1 happens?

I assume you mean if a J1 DOW happens, but in that case the US isn’t restricted to staying at East US, and I’d argue that stationing at East Canada makes a ton more sense than Greenland.

Suggested Topics

Axis & Allies Boardgaming Custom Painted Miniatures

Users

Topics

1.7m