• '15

Good memory! (That or I’ve said it way too many times)

Yes, I absolutely believe that a heavy US buy in the Atlantic turn 1 and 2, combined with heavy Pacific spending the rest of the way, is part of a winning formula for the Allies.

By the end of US2 the Atlantic usually looks like this if I’m playing the US:

8 loaded transports, loaded CV, DD, C (this can vary: maybe one less loaded transport and an extra CV or a couple more DD, etc.  Depends what Germany looks like).  From there I spend the rest in the pacific each turn, save for a couple of loaded transports, or men in a complex, etc.

• @teslas:

You don’t need to take Calcutta by any set time. All you need to do is reduce UK Pac to 5 IPCs a turn and keep them too scared to come out again. Throw a sub or two outside of Calcutta for good measure. In fact, Britain has to make a mistake to let you take Calcutta by J3, or even J4.

If US is going to go full Atlantic for four rounds, ����ing awesome. Japan should just about win the game for you, or at least be making as much money or more as the USA by J4/J5. And yes, your fate is in their hands. The only thing Germany can do under that kind of pressure is use its initial land units to get up to Novgorod (and then maybe get kicked back out), and spend everything else on defending itself from both sides. I also suggest you help out Italy, as with a good amount of support, and not getting too unlucky, Italy can make decent money and either help defend the French mICs from an invasion, or keep the southern flank of your Eastern front safe. The last thing you want are a bunch of Russians or British running unchecked through the Balkans. Italy being strong enough to help means Germany can put more force into an objective, which is a good thing.

If USA went 100% Pacific for the first four rounds, the roles would nearly be reversed. Japan would make a lot less headway after J3 while Germany would be the one making strong, consistent progress. USA gets to decide which side of the map has the Axis struggle. Thems the breaks.

Japan can set up to take India round 3 if he plays right, round 4 he can guarantee it no matter what india does.

• '14 Customizer

@ghr2:

@teslas:

You don’t need to take Calcutta by any set time. All you need to do is reduce UK Pac to 5 IPCs a turn and keep them too scared to come out again. Throw a sub or two outside of Calcutta for good measure. In fact, Britain has to make a mistake to let you take Calcutta by J3, or even J4.

If US is going to go full Atlantic for four rounds, ����ing awesome. Japan should just about win the game for you, or at least be making as much money or more as the USA by J4/J5. And yes, your fate is in their hands. The only thing Germany can do under that kind of pressure is use its initial land units to get up to Novgorod (and then maybe get kicked back out), and spend everything else on defending itself from both sides. I also suggest you help out Italy, as with a good amount of support, and not getting too unlucky, Italy can make decent money and either help defend the French mICs from an invasion, or keep the southern flank of your Eastern front safe. The last thing you want are a bunch of Russians or British running unchecked through the Balkans. Italy being strong enough to help means Germany can put more force into an objective, which is a good thing.

If USA went 100% Pacific for the first four rounds, the roles would nearly be reversed. Japan would make a lot less headway after J3 while Germany would be the one making strong, consistent progress. USA gets to decide which side of the map has the Axis struggle. Thems the breaks.

Japan can set up to take India round 3 if he plays right, round 4 he can guarantee it no matter what india does.

Japan has to almost have a perfect game to take India round 4 by not losing any land units on the islands and taking out ANZAC’s DD + TT round 1.  There are no guarantees in a dice game.

• What about Japan taking Iraq and Sikang and building an airbase in both and sending fighters to Germany if USA is going Europe heavy?

• If Japan isn’t going to help you, what about building 1 bmb, 1 sub and the rest inf every turn for the whole game? Use bombers and subs to slow down allied navy and inf to hold off and maybe take some of Russia.

• @madscientist:

If Japan isn’t going to help you, what about building 1 bmb, 1 sub and the rest inf every turn for the whole game? Use bombers and subs to slow down allied navy and inf to hold off and maybe take some of Russia.

Inf are way too slow to fight Russia. You’re better off building mech.

• '15

Yes, subs and bombers are what you need to hold off America/UK as Germany. I would strongly suggest you get Southern France as Germany to be able to build some subs in the med as well.

Italy can either try to build some subs to help out with a can-opening on a Gibraltar SZ hit, or just build all the land units to defend France/Balkans from an allied landing there.

If UK/America build enough navy and support to live through an attack, well okay, that means they’re not landing very many ground troops as early as they could. You hold off Russia with the units you begin the game with plus whatever income you can spare to send east.

Again, you’re absolutely never going to win the game doing this, but you’re not expected to under this kind of pressure. That’s Japan’s job. You will be able to survive for quite a long time, however.

• '15

Japan has to almost have a perfect game to take India round 4 by not losing any land units on the islands and taking out ANZAC’s DD + TT round 1.  There are no guarantees in a dice game.

Exactly.  On top of that, even if Japan does take India round 4, how does it look on the rest of the board?  Japan can’t take India round 4 AND dominate the waters AND completely wipe out China AND take care of the Siberian troops (most games I’m using those units to attack Manchuria or Korea) AND completely control the money islands.

If Japan goes all out to get India by round 4 the Allies can cause them a lot of headaches elsewhere.

• Sponsor

@Nippon-koku:

Exactly.  On top of that, even if Japan does take India round 4, how does it look on the rest of the board?  Japan can’t take India round 4 AND dominate the waters AND completely wipe out China AND take care of the Siberian troops (most games I’m using those units to attack Manchuria or Korea) AND completely control the money islands.Â

If Japan goes all out to get India by round 4 the Allies can cause them a lot of headaches elsewhere.Â

I think new players favor the Calcutta crush, while experienced players understand other priorities.

• '15

@Young:

@Nippon-koku:

Japan has to almost have a perfect game to take India round 4 by not losing any land units on the islands and taking out ANZAC’s DD + TT round 1.�  There are no guarantees in a dice game.

Exactly.�  On top of that, even if Japan does take India round 4, how does it look on the rest of the board?�  Japan can’t take India round 4 AND dominate the waters AND completely wipe out China AND take care of the Siberian troops (most games I’m using those units to attack Manchuria or Korea) AND completely control the money islands.�

If Japan goes all out to get India by round 4 the Allies can cause them a lot of headaches elsewhere.�

I think new players favor the Calcutta crush, while experienced players understand other priorities.

And I’ll fully admit that Calcutta crush can appear unstoppable to new players who find themselves on the receiving end

Suggested Topics

Axis & Allies Boardgaming Custom Painted Miniatures

Users

Topics

1.7m