• Many people consider WW1 to be the birth of modern warfare. They consider the addition of powered flight, and mobile armored warfare to be the hallmarks. Sorry to say they are wrong. The Italo-Turkish war introduced those facets of warfare. Not only did the Italians use armored cars they used powered aircraft. In 1911-12 the Italian military was at the forefront of military technology. Soon a man named Benito would do his best to make sure they didn’t return there in his lifetime.

When Igo Etrich designed the Taube aeroplane I highly doubt he knew what the future held for his creation. He Igo designed the Taube in 1909. It was first flown in 1910. By 1911 the fragile monoplane would add two more firsts to it’s list. On October 23 1911 Capitano Carlo Piazza completed the first reconnaissance in a heavier than air flying machine. Nine days later Sottotenente Giulio Gavotti dropped four hand grenades on Ottoman troops at the Ain Zara oasis. This was the first attack by an aeroplane.

Also during the Italo-Turkish war dirigibles were used to bomb positions. The first time was on March 10 1912. Supposedly dirigibles attacked Ottoman ships at one point but I have yet to find anything confirming that. Aeroplanes were used to direct ship to shore fire in support of infantry. Sorry A&A fans. Your Italian forces don’t need to role to see if they can bombard the enemy. They started that 30 years prior. Before there were dreadnaughts in their Navy.

Soon Mussolini would come to power and make his dream come true. He reduced to fighting effectiveness of an Italian infantry company to that of an individual Girl Scout. Italy became a punching bag, and many men who went to Africa 30 years before sent their sons there as well. How frustrating it must have been for those fathers to pick up the newspaper every day.

After the Italo-Turkish War Taubes were used during the Balkan Wars of 1912-13. During WW1 the Taube would see extensive use in the Italian, German, and Austro-Hungarian armies. It ended up being used for reconnaissance, as a fighter and a bomber. So why would I entitle this little piece “Birds of Peace”? Taube is German for dove. Oh the irony.

Sorry for any typos here. I typed this up while waiting for my writers group to meet up.

• I shouldn’t do these things when I’m pushed for time. Gavotti also flew the first night mission during this war. Even though the Tuabe has a bird like appearance the wings were based of the zagonia seed pod. There. Now I think I got it covered. At least what I know anyway.

Suggested Topics

Axis & Allies Boardgaming Custom Painted Miniatures

Users

Topics

1.7m