• Once, after I had taken India as Japan, the British attacked a transport I built in Z39 with a plane and landed it in Ceylon, and my transports and planes were out of range to kill the plane. Other than similar cheeky raids, has anyone ever used Ceylon at all? I guess it’s worth taking with a spare transport just so you don’t fall for the sneak attack…

• No, never.
    Just like Crete, Sicily or Sardinia. But you’ll never know, maybe in some future game…  :-)

• '15

I have seen it taken on the turn before a Calcutta smash to give JP a place to land its planes on two different occasions.

Yunan and Shan State are strictly better options, but in one of the games the JP player wasn’t great, and in the other Yunan/Shan weren’t options to hold against a counter-attack, so he didn’t have much choice if he wanted to take Calcutta the next turn.

• '22 '20 '19 '18 '17 '16 '15 '14 '12

I’ve seen Ceylon taken as a landing space for planes or to prevent a landing space for planes.  That’s about it.  It probably should be worth 1 IPC to make it worth while to occupy.  I mean, what about all that tea?

• If I remember correctly, the Royal Navy’s main base in the Indian Ocean during the war was on Ceylon.  Maybe you could have a house rule moving the NB from Calcutta over to Ceylon.

• @NimitzLimits:

If I remember correctly, the Royal Navy’s main base in the Indian Ocean during the war was on Ceylon.  Maybe you could have a house rule moving the NB from Calcutta over to Ceylon.

That might be historically accurate, but in terms of game play not too sure. Japan would have easy access to a naval base to jump to Africa or w/o taking India first.

• '15

I love having it as Japan.  Worth losing a transport for, even.  If you have an airbase in Kwangsi, you can attack India with all your air and then land them on Ceylon.  It’s a beautiful thing.

Suggested Topics

Axis & Allies Boardgaming Custom Painted Miniatures

Users

Topics

1.7m