Global War, 2nd edition - due 1\. November 2015

• Sponsor '17 '13 '11 '10

@SS:

But it sounds like its losing the KISS affect.

It is not a basic game, HBG has several on the website for simple, Operation Unthinkable, Operation Hercules, and Amerika are easy games.

• '18 '17 '16 '15 Customizer

@SS:

?

• @LHoffman:

@SS:

?

KISS is a design principle (“keep it simple, stupid”) which argues that things should not be made more complicated than they have to be.  I think SS was arguing that the added features of the new version of Global War might perhaps be making the game too unwieldy.  On the other hand, I note that HBGWILL’s post said that a lot of the new features are optional extras.  Using a few extras per game would probably be fine.  Trying to use all of them at once might be another story.

@CWO:

KISS is a design principle (“keep it simple, stupid”) which argues that things should not be made more complicated than they have to be.  I think SS was arguing that the added features of the new version of Global War might perhaps be making the game too unwieldy.  On the other hand, I note that HBGWILL’s post said that a lot of the new features are optional extras.  Using a few extras per game would probably be fine.  Trying to use all of them at once might be another story.

Ah, thank you for the clarification.

I was encouraged to see that some of the advanced rules were optional, since, generally speaking, I don’t see the need to introduce more phases, players or mechanics which add little worth to the game experience. I am very interested to read the rulebook for GW 1936 and see exactly what the game adds or improves upon.

• @CWO:

@LHoffman:

@SS:

?

KISS is a design principle (“keep it simple, stupid”) which argues that things should not be made more complicated than they have to be.  I think SS was arguing that the added features of the new version of Global War might perhaps be making the game too unwieldy.  On the other hand, I note that HBGWILL’s post said that a lot of the new features are optional extras.  Using a few extras per game would probably be fine.  Trying to use all of them at once might be another story.

LHoffman we posted same time.

CWO is correct on the KISS. As we already know a lot of people  just want simple rules.

But really not arguing about it. Just making a statement. Also how do you know if some options you use makes the game unbalanced more or less.

I’m not knocking the game. I will buy it too. Hope there is some body to answer questions for game right away. :wink:

I’m sure a few things have changed in 2nd Edition,  may use some of them rules if it makes the 1st Edition better. I hope there’s at least a non drastic land lease rule.

Also waiting for Bud’s rules.

@SS:

LHoffman we posted same time.

But really not arguing about it. Just making a statement. Also how do you know if some options you use makes the game unbalanced more or less.

Ha, no worries.

Yes, I believe that Balance is (or at least has become regarded as) THE most important aspect of A&A. Most complaints seem to revolve around it because it is not as simple a fix as editing unit values, for example. The only way to ensure that a game is balanced is to have a group (or preferably multiple groups) playtest the game many times and studiously log data of the game. Even before that, I guess you have to define what balance even means. Is it 50/50 chance of winning based mostly on die rolls? Is it 70/30 in favor of the Allies, meaning that the Axis must both have good strategy and good rolls to beat the more powerful Allies? Or is balance a variable metric that changes as the game goes on?

The very premise of A&A makes it different from many boardgames, where total fairness or even playing field, is expected. There are historical considerations (inequalities) to model as well as a truly complex and interwoven elements of gameplay including politics, multiple unit types and geographic movement. There is little transparent equality in the game (besides perhaps unit values and costs).

If Global War 1936 institutes essentially a 3-team structure (Western Allies, Communists, Axis)… or even if they split Axis victory conditions… the notions of balance as we have understood them in A&A will change dramatically. Maybe they will become more manageable? Maybe they will be harder to reconcile? I am not sure.

I only hope that HBG has playtested the game enough to be confident in the way it is built.

• I agree. Its just that you guys can write it better than I can. :-D

@SS:

I agree. Its just that you guys can write it better than I can. :-D

I did quite a bit in college. I need to work on my brevity. :wink:

• Is GW2 a traditional turn order based game, or is it all powers simultaneous? I have dabbled with games that do the later and they are pretty cool, but sea movement gets complicated. Is there a mechanic that allows powers of the same alliance to move and attack at the same time?

PS to HBGWILL or coach:
    I have already per-ordered GW2 (large map BTW). I know it wont be shipped until the first week of Nov, but is it possible to down load the rules now so I can get familiar with how the game plays?

@WILD:

Is GW2 a traditional turn order based game, or is it all powers simultaneous?

My impression is that you play in turns as per normal.

@LHoffman:

@WILD:

Is GW2 a traditional turn order based game, or is it all powers simultaneous?

My impression is that you play in turns as per normal.

Yes, That is correct

• @WILD:

Is GW2 a traditional turn order based game, or is it all powers simultaneous? I have dabbled with games that do the later and they are pretty cool, but sea movement gets complicated. Is there a mechanic that allows powers of the same alliance to move and attack at the same time?

PS to HBGWILL or coach:
    I have already per-ordered GW2 (large map BTW). I know it wont be shipped until the first week of Nov, but is it possible to down load the rules now so I can get familiar with how the game plays?

If the rules aren’t ready yet could you at least release a list of pieces you need to upgrade from first to second edition?

• HBG…

Im sort of confused on what you get when you buy global war 2…

Does is come with units to be able to play the game? I know you need AAA global war 40, but do you also need the supplemental set that was for global 1939?

@mike48484:

HBG…

Im sort of confused on what you get when you buy global war 2…

Does is come with units to be able to play the game? I know you need AAA global war 40, but do you also need the supplemental set that was for global 1939?

It comes with a map, Play aids, and rules.
    You will need to have plastic pieces to play.

• Thanks for the answer.

Are you guys planning to put together a supplemental set like the first global war game?

IF not, are you planning to stock more of the supplemental set to the first game. It has been “out of stock” for about 8 months now.
    I want this game, but it doesn’t seem to me you can just hop in and play it if I just have AAA global war 40. and id really rather not have to
    search around your site and try to piece together what I need.

@mike48484:

Thanks for the answer.

Are you guys planning to put together a supplemental set like the first global war game?

IF not, are you planning to stock more of the supplemental set to the first game. It has been “out of stock” for about 8 months now.
    I want this game, but it doesn’t seem to me you can just hop in and play it if I just have AAA global war 40. and id really rather not have to
    search around your site and try to piece together what I need.

We are making additional pieces for gameplay as well as more markers. Yes, it is a grand game and to have all the pieces to play is a big undertaking. We will try to put a bundle together but we cannot guarantee it will be complete.

• '16

The website tells me that I can no longer pre-order the map. Is that correct?

@Trenacker:

The website tells me that I can no longer pre-order the map. Is that correct?

It shows, there are 81 left. You can pre-order up to the last day of this month, and then it goes to the regular price.

• If I already pre ordered does anyone know how and when I will get the rules download?

@sophiedog2:

If I already pre ordered does anyone know how and when I will get the rules download?

November 1st, will probably be the day you can first download the rules on HBG’s website, unless there is a delay.

You go to your order history, under account, and they will have it there.

Be sure your logged in first.

Click where it says download by the day you ordered it.

That should be all you have to do.

HBG will let us know when the rules will first be available to download.

I hope this helps. :-)

John

Suggested Topics

Axis & Allies Boardgaming Custom Painted Miniatures

Users

Topics

1.7m