• Since you’re going after Russia first, Britain has no need to try to get troops into Europe, resulting in completely wasted CP IPCs on navy until Britain finally decides to spend in Europe after having beaten the Ottomans into submission.

Also, I don’t know how you’re actually beating Russia in a reasonable timeframe while sending like 20+ units at Italy. Maybe you get a late (turn 7+) Revolution? If that’s not in play, you shouldn’t ever be able to take Moscow with so few resources dedicated.

• You’re right, and it doesn’t look good on paper.  However, one of the guys I played feared that GE was going to try an amphibious assault on UK, so they decided to split money between land in India and Navy in the Atlantic.  The reason for pressuring Italy to start, is that when I have left them alone, in the past, to go all out on Russia, they became a real nuisance, especially if my rolls were terrible and I got bogged down getting to Moscow (without RR rules).  the real point is that I am hoping that the Entente players react the way that I previously explained.  Now, if they are seasoned, like yourself, then yeah, this is probably a terrible idea.

• I have found that the only time the German navy should build to interdict US troop convoys is if they have the Russian money. No Revolution but the cash from Russia, That way they have enough to do both land and sea builds.

And really that is the only real reason for the CP to do this, slow down US troops. Has anyone ever actually tried or been in a position to do a German amphib assault on England?

I have found that a German navy build always works, the US troops slow down but they never are stopped completely, so its a short term gain with great $ cost.

And if you follow the rules and allow the UK to build unlimited in India then that is what the UK should do, pour troops into Turkey and southern Russia.

Just my thoughts.

• Seems the same consensus, all around, legion.  Again, I am certainly with the masses on this consideration.  I was just trying out the heavy naval approach, as originally posted, for effect.  Also, because I like new tactics and mixing it up a little.  But, yeah, I wouldn’t do the same in a game with more experienced players.

• '20 '18 '17 '15

Like any strategy, it will change once you meet the enemy.

May plays on AA14 are low, but I’m intrigued by the Central Powers navy option and have done it a couple of times to success.  It mostly focuses on Austria building a navy.

For Germany, it’s too easy for the UK to counter with naval builds, so I don’t go big navy, just 1-2 pieces supplemental.  If the UK counters in a big way, i don’t both; Germany has too many fronts. If the UK does similar/smaller buys, i continue 1-2 a round.  Any UK money spent on ships helps alleviate some Ottoman pressure.

For Austria, their fleet is pretty well tucked away. Italy starts with some ships, but certainly won’t be spending any on navy. France will rarely do so, and if they do, at the expense of the Germany front. I typically buy one battleship a turn. The benefits as I’ve seen them are thus:

1 ) Protect my coastline! The armies move so slow, and start so far away from a lot of Austria’s money, it helps to have protected transports that can counter an early US dropping of troops. Without it, you have to leave a lot more land units behind to get the same protection.

2 ) It helps me get offensive against Italy. I now threaten his coast instead of reacting to their invasions. I have less units, but I’m more mobile, forcing some of their units away from the stalemate.

3 ) CONDITIONAL: If they don’t combine and contain effectively, my navy can break out and help protect the Ottomans while threatening Egypt/Africa.

Ottomans

They don’t have enough money to even think about it until the game is going very well for the CP.

But again, if France and the UK do naval builds round 1, then it’s not really tenable and I switch to something else.

• Very well put, Whack.  Makes total sense.

• Here is my naval CP strategy:
    Germany: t1 crush both British Atlantic fleets t2 build enough(or none)fleet to hold off Allies and retreat to Kiel(cant remember SZ number). After this I vary what I do. This is my mentality: every extra ship I force Britain to buy diverts them from Turkey and it also diverts France from AH Navy. Downside is of course reduction in land units for you. I only purchase the most a battleship per turn (I feel subs are not as good) unless I get a golden opportunity.

AH stay put unless u get a golden opportunity. Do not build navy unless someone threatens you(even then sometimes it is not worth it).

OE: just hope you get left with a single cruiser. If you don’t do not build navy unless you have condiserable income or you have a golden opportunity. lf you do keep the cruiser (or really lucky 2) build battleship t1 but only if it can survive a couple turns.

• Also, well put, Charles.  It is a VERY risky process.  But, if you’re lucky, or the Entente player(s) give you opportunities, it is fun to mix it up this way.

• @Whackamatt:

Like any strategy, it will change once you meet the enemy.

May plays on AA14 are low, but I’m intrigued by the Central Powers navy option and have done it a couple of times to success.  It mostly focuses on Austria building a navy.

For Germany, it’s too easy for the UK to counter with naval builds, so I don’t go big navy, just 1-2 pieces supplemental.  If the UK counters in a big way, i don’t both; Germany has too many fronts. If the UK does similar/smaller buys, i continue 1-2 a round.  Any UK money spent on ships helps alleviate some Ottoman pressure.

For Austria, their fleet is pretty well tucked away. Italy starts with some ships, but certainly won’t be spending any on navy. France will rarely do so, and if they do, at the expense of the Germany front. I typically buy one battleship a turn. The benefits as I’ve seen them are thus:

1 ) Protect my coastline! The armies move so slow, and start so far away from a lot of Austria’s money, it helps to have protected transports that can counter an early US dropping of troops. Without it, you have to leave a lot more land units behind to get the same protection.

2 ) It helps me get offensive against Italy. I now threaten his coast instead of reacting to their invasions. I have less units, but I’m more mobile, forcing some of their units away from the stalemate.

3 ) CONDITIONAL: If they don’t combine and contain effectively, my navy can break out and help protect the Ottomans while threatening Egypt/Africa.

Ottomans

They don’t have enough money to even think about it until the game is going very well for the CP.

But again, if France and the UK do naval builds round 1, then it’s not really tenable and I switch to something else.

I would love to find a viable CP naval strategy, but I’m curious. What is Russia doing while you’re building ships for AH instead of artillery?

• We play a neutral Italy turn 1.  That provides some flexibility for AH player to leave the Adriatic and cause some havoc in the Mediterranean or Black seas on Turn 1.  Note; our Neutral Italy rule provides for starting the UK CA in SZ29 to start in SZ19.

• Sadly this game does require some house rules for balanced. I like to add all the minor alligned powers (and Greece since hey were allied) as seperate entities. It helps the CP and makes a gunner game.

• '20 '18 '17 '15

Yay!  Played a real live 1914 game. Four players total, read the work in progress write up here:

http://www.axisandallies.org/forums/index.php?topic=37252.0

Suggested Topics

Axis & Allies Boardgaming Custom Painted Miniatures

Users

Topics

1.7m