• '19

When I first started playing Pacific SE, Japan would always win.  After trying out new strategies, I have come to relize that the Caroline islands is huge for the Americans for victory.  I never thought of taking it much in my previous games because it had no IPC value.  But man, the navy base there pays huge dividends in the long run.  You can harass Japan, Korea  and most of the DEI.  Ever since I have taken the Caroline islands I have been victorious wth the allies.  It also splits the Japanese navy in two and forces tuff decisions for the Japanesse commanders. 👍

• '18 '17 '16 '15 Customizer

@Corpo24:

When I first started playing Pacific SE, Japan would always win.  After trying out new strategies, I have come to relize that the Caroline islands is huge for the Americans for victory.  I never thought of taking it much in my previous games because it had no IPC value.  But man, the navy base there pays huge dividends in the long run.  You can harass Japan, Korea  and most of the DEI.  Ever since I have taken the Caroline islands I have been victorious wth the allies.  It also splits the Japanese navy in two and forces tuff decisions for the Japanesse commanders. 👍

I’ve only played Pacific 4 times, but yes, it is very vital, because like you said, it reaches all those areas. When the US cranks up to fight, then you have your choice of what you want to do.

Continuous feed of units from San Francisco to Honolulu to the Carolina Islands, then Japan will dictate what you will do next, unless US is so far ahead on power that you start to dictate what Japan does.

Even, the on Global 39 game, I played, Carolina Islands are a must. :-D

• '21 '20 '19 '18 '17 '16

I have found that while the Carolines is sometimes useful, Queensland is just as useful – it threatens the Dutch East Indies, allows the US to shuttle ground forces to mainland Asia, threatens the Phillipines, and allows me to move back to Hawaii in one round. Now, all this is true of the Carolines as well, but:

1. The positioning of US forces on the mainland is different (Malaya, Siam, Shan State, and French Indochina) than if the US had the Carolines. So, the Carolines vs Queensland is a call I make based on what Japan is doing.
    2. Queensland threatens more of the Dutch East Indies than Carolines.
    3. Queensland forces Japan to come out to engage the US if they are so inclined. This means that unless it does everything perfectly, Japan opens up opportunities for the Allies. It’s also out of range for newly built strategic bombers built in Japan, which can change the fleet balance very quickly…

Early in the game, when the US is not yet at full strength, I go usually go Queensland. Later, when I want to threaten the Japanese directly, I take Carolines (or I may bypass it completely and go straight for sea zone 6 and Korea).

Marsh

• '19

Great comments from both of you guys.  After playing a few more games, I think Queensland is the safer bet early on in the war also.  It allows the allies to build up and hopefully unite all three fleets UK, Anzac, and USA.  Japan has to really come out to attack you and if they do the USA can counter with units from Hawaii and Anzac from Sydney.    I feel like the Caroline’s islands are more when the allies are winning the war, but it also holds a great strategic position.  So if I had to pick one, I now say Queensland.  👍

Suggested Topics

Axis & Allies Boardgaming Custom Painted Miniatures

Users

Topics

1.7m