• @barney:

@LHoffman

Where was that picture taken? At first I thought California but those were US citizens not japanese. If they’re japanese hopefully it means they’re thinking we shouldn’t F!CK with the US.  If they’re US citizens they’re probably thinking disappointment at the least.  Anyway they had a nice view.

I think it’s this place: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gila_River_War_Relocation_Center

• '18 '17 '16 '15 Customizer

@barney:

@LHoffman

Where was that picture taken? At first I thought California but those were US citizens not japanese. If they’re japanese hopefully it means they’re thinking we shouldn’t F!CK with the US.  If they’re US citizens they’re probably thinking disappointment at the least.  Anyway they had a nice view.

Well if you want to get technical about it…

But yes, sorry, my bad. Allow me to edit that. What I meant obviously was Japanese-Americans (who were citizens).  :roll:

• '17

@LHoffman:

What do you think the US flag means to the Japanese citizens interned here?

The flag wasn’t raised at that camp as a symbol of hate against the Japanese.

Many interred Japanese-Americans joined the 442nd infantry and fought under the US flag.

I can’t find any evidence that Japanese-Americans then or now commonly (or even uncommonly) found the US flag offensive.

Let me first off say that I think we agree on this whole issue, I am just playing devil’s advocate to some degree.

@wheatbeer:

@LHoffman:

What do you think the US flag means to the Japanese citizens interned here?

The flag wasn’t raised at that camp as a symbol of hate against the Japanese.

That said… The flag was not raised as a symbol of hate in 1941-45, but that does not mean that Japanese-Americans could not have made that leap themselves. After all, their being put in the camp was based purely on their race/ethnicity and whatever suspicions they may have engendered to the US government. Their internment was not based on hate per se, but it was certainly an act of discrimination. And I think you could get many people today to equate discrimination with racism and therefore hate, even if shrouded in bureaucracy.

Do you have proof that the Confederate Battle Flag or their state flag was raised as a symbol of hate? I am not sure what, if any, country intends very specifically for their flag to be a symbol of anything negative. As you said, it is all what people make of it or how they associate it or what the government explicitly says it means. Otherwise they are just colored shapes.

@wheatbeer:

Many interred Japanese-Americans joined the 442nd infantry and fought under the US flag.

And there were black slaves who fought for the south. Even if conscripted.

@wheatbeer:

I can’t find any evidence that Japanese-Americans then or now commonly (or even uncommonly) found the US flag offensive.

Again, playing devil’s advocate in suggesting that they easily could have. And I am sure some actually did, even if that is but an assumption.

What about the Native Americans who were killed or displaced from their traditional areas of living because of the United States? Same deal.

• This countries being taken over by a certain groups of people.  :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil:

• '17

Japanese-Americans and Native Americans asking for the US flag to be changed: seem to be rare, possibly even imaginary.

Hate groups using the Confederate flag as a symbol of white supremacy: real and copiously documented.

• '17

I removed a photo from this post because I did not realize that posting non-WWII related photos isn’t permitted under General Discussion.

• '17

@LHoffman:

Do you have proof that the Confederate Battle Flag or their state flag was raised as a symbol of hate?

No, I am not sure whether that can be proved or not. However, the Confederate flag’s popular resurgence coincided with the Civil Right’s Movement. I don’t believe that this is a coincidence.

• Liaison TripleA '11 '10

Well if Images are the argument of the day, I think this one says a lot.

And if you want to make an argument that the flag was somehow “hijacked” one can easily say the same for the confederate battle flag.

• I do hope that my future grandchildren get to grow up in the same great country I did.

These future grandchildren may have to grow up singing some national anthem that I do not yet know…

I would not like to tell these future grandchildren that my generation allowed a bunch of communist to chaotically divide yet another country as they took over.  That would be a sorry excuse for them not growing up here in the USA.

BTW,
    I sense very little love and a lot of finger pointing in the above posts.
    The communists are very good at getting other peoples fingers pointed at each other’s throats.

• Liaison TripleA '11 '10

From a foriegn perspective and observation whilst this unfolds - I think all the talk of taking down the Confederate flag, or taking down the American flag, or the Jefferson memorial for that matter, are inherently anti/un America talks.

And generally I perceive America as a huge world positive voice of reason, and not the tyranny that some would paint it as.

As for the confederate flag specifically - to me it is a symbol of the right to respectfully disagree, and have an independent point of view, (Right or wrong) and in it’s very own way, The confederate flag is a symbol of what it is to be American.

• '17

@Gargantua:

And if you want to make an argument that the flag was somehow “hijacked” one can easily say the same for the confederate battle flag.

Except that they failed to hijack the US flag because almost no Americans view the US flag as a symbol of hate.

The Confederate flag was much more successfully hijacked because the country which gave birth to it no longer exists.

• '17

@Linkon:

I would not like to tell these future grandchildren that my generation allowed a bunch of communist to chaotically divide yet another country as they took over.  That would be a sorry excuse for them not growing up here in the USA.

Can you explain what these comments have to do with the Confederate flag?

• '17 '16 '15

Here’s how Lynyrd Skynyrd views the confederate flag:

http://radio.com/2015/06/26/lynyrd-skynryd-confederate-flag-drive-by-truckers/

• @Linkon:

I do hope that my future grandchildren get to grow up in the same great country I did.

These future grandchildren may have to grow up singing some national anthem that I do not yet know…

I would not like to tell these future grandchildren that my generation allowed a bunch of communist to chaotically divide yet another country as they took over.  That would be a sorry excuse for them not growing up here in the USA.

BTW,
    I sense very little love and a lot of finger pointing in the above posts.
    The communists are very good at getting other peoples fingers pointed at each other’s throats.

I don’t think the word “communist” means what you think it means.

• The American flag should be flown on all Capitals and anything that has to do with the government. That is the nations flag period.

But if you want to fly the confederate flag in your yard, car,  truck or on your back so be it.
    Sometimes when I see that flag it reminds me of the south and we are not together as a country.
    I understand that most people who fly it are representing the South.

Also the hate groups are the ones that are wrecking the symbol of the confederate flag for the south.

Everything is slowly being taken away from you by the Government. They want complete control now. Thats why the government lets the people riot ( because we owe them and relieves tension while they destroy businesses, BS )  so they can bring in there own police force and control it.

When a cop is spit at or something is thrown at them, that is an assault on an cop.
    If I was in charge, I would of arrested everybody. No call for that BS.  IMO

• '17 '16 '15 '14 '13 '12

I think we may see SC Gamecocks football players boycott games until that particular flag flying over the capitol building is removed. That should lead to other schools refusing to play at SC or even not allowing SC to play at visiting schools, just a prediction.

Of course, with the NCAA, cash is king so this would have to be a movement from the players…we’ll see.

@Gargantua:

From a foriegn perspective and observation whilst this unfolds - I think all the talk of taking down the Confederate flag, or taking down the American flag, or the Jefferson memorial for that matter, are inherently anti/un America talks.

And generally I perceive America as a huge world positive voice of reason, and not the tyranny that some would paint it as.

As for the confederate flag specifically - to me it is a symbol of the right to respectfully disagree, and have an independent point of view, (Right or wrong) and in it’s very own way, The confederate flag is a symbol of what it is to be American.

I agree G. And that has been my point with whatever I have said in my posts. Freedom of expression is absolutely fundamental to the existence of this country as we know it; without it we morph into a fascist distortion of “freedom”.

@wheatbeer:

Except that they failed to hijack the US flag because almost no Americans view the US flag as a symbol of hate.

The Confederate flag was much more successfully hijacked because the country which gave birth to it no longer exists.

There are a great many American citizens who view the US flag as a symbol of hate, injustice or oppression. That is why they burn it, trample it and call for its removal. As someone said before, Louis Farrakhan has already made ovations about the US flag being a hate symbol. He is just one example.

And why should this discussion be relegated only to what Americans think? A great many more people around the world, as Gargantua insinuated, view the United States and our flag as a symbol of hate, aggression, manipulation, oppression or evil. Naturally, I believe none of those are true to the degree that many people think they are. Of course the United States has made significant mistakes and had some very dark times as a country, but our past does not mean that is who we still are today or will be in the future. On a whole, the United States is pretty darn great. Am I biased? Sure. But I am not afraid of being blown up by an IED on my way to work or being physically persecuted for practicing my religion or saying something controversial. I think that counts for a lot.

The problem goes back to that First Amendment discussion. What is happening with the Confederate Flag is just the latest in a line of social censorship stemming from both political correctness (endorsed by the government) and cries of injustice (from a given minority). I don’t know how to describe it any other way. It has come to a particular head in the last 15 years with the advent of social media. There is now a constant, instant, nation-wide forum for the loudest people to spread their opinions. This is a great tool for the smaller groups to have their voice heard, but when it is used to oppress and censor and exact some level of retribution, it becomes very un-American. In this instance, the American public is oppressed by this nebulous specter of public opinion and political correctness. Much, if not all, of it is borne out of emotion rather than logic, which is where we will fail as a society and a government.

But that also goes back to my tongue-in-cheek comment about me being a white, male, middle-class, Christian. And I may add, heterosexual.  My voice has been fairly eroded by the social scene since I am not a member of any minority or oppressed group. I have no bones to pick and therefore cannot be legitimate. At least that is the way it feels at times. I hope that is not viewed as a political statement, because it is really a social one.

• '17

Freedom of speech is a right I cherish it no less than any other other American.

Perhaps I am being misinterpreted here. I do not advocate banning the Confederate flag. People have the right to fly any flag they want (no matter what it symbolizes to themselves or others).

The only issue I am addressing is whether or not the Confederate flag should be hoisted on state property. If the Confederate flag is to be shown by the state, then it belongs in a display case not on a pole.

• '17

I had a chance to see some pieces of U-85 on display at the Graveyard of the Atlantic Museum in Hatteras, NC while on vacation last month (I encourage you guys to take a look if you’re ever in the area).

28 of the German sailors who died when U-85 sank are buried at Hampton National Cemetery in Virginia.
    http://www.cem.va.gov/cems/nchp/hampton.asp

Do you think it would be appropriate if the State of Virginia decided to fly one of the Third Reich’s swastika flags beside their graves? Would public opinion matter then?

Suggested Topics

Axis & Allies Boardgaming Custom Painted Miniatures

Users

Topics

1.7m