Destroying the Kriegsmarine after Sealion?

• After reading a number of posts here, I’ve seen it suggested that America should aim to destroy the German navy the same turn it takes London (and effectively trap surviving land units).

However, I don’t understand how America is supposed to achieve this.

As far as I understand the rules, America cannot have warships beyond Sz101 and Sz102 until the turn London falls. Granted Sealion occurs in Sz110, then there is no way for American warships to reach Sz110. This limits the attack to only air power. It is possible for carrier aircraft to rendezvous with ACs at sz104 if they started at sz102. However, this seems an underwhelming attack.

Could someone explain to me how this American counterattack is supposed to work?

• If america can get a lot of bombers on EUS and a loaded carrier or 2 in sz102, then it is possible.  All he will need is a landing spot for the bombers.  This would mean that Ireland or scotland would need to be allied controlled.

• Sponsor

…American should also be prepared with their navy situated to move in case Japan brings the US into the war early. If the goal is to liberate London or even threaten the German fleet once at war, I suggest going to sea zone 106 instead of 91… there are fewer opportunities for the Axis to use blockers and stall the overall mission.

• @Young:

…American should also be prepared with their navy situated to move in case Japan brings the US into the war early. If the goal is to liberate London or even threaten the German fleet once at war, I suggest going to sea zone 106 instead of 91… there are fewer opportunities for the Axis to use blockers and stall the overall mission.

With the aim of liberating London, I understand moving the navy to sz106, but I can’t see a liberation happening until US4-5 (at least, certainly not on US3). What I was trying to understand is how it would be possible to destroy the Germany navy at sz110 in US3 (immediately after a capture of London).

• Liaison TripleA '11 '10

I don’t have the map infront of me, and I don’t think destroying the 110 fleet immediately after London falls is possible.

However, some players activate Eire with UK, to allow for a US landing zone.  Don’t know if that is going to provide you the range you need though?

• AFAIK, Garg and YG are right.
    Consider 2 loaded CV in SZ102, and 3 STRBombers in EUS. No early JDOW, so USA has 20 IPCs less first 2 turns.

Germany can defend SZ110 with approximately 1CA + loaded 1CV (4units, 5hits). Sometimes they also have their BB left, but then the UK also has more ships left.
    Anyway, with this warfleet and London captured, Germany can barely keep Russia out of Eastern Europe, especially if the Kriegsmarine is destroyed (no land units being retrieved from there). If Germany invests in a bigger warfleet, I am afraid they cannot hold off Russia anymore.

Back to the USA. They can have 7 aircraft attacking (indeed surviving STR landing in Eire) and 6 loaded TRS, or, at the expense of TRS, buy even 3 more STR (for a total of 10 attacking aircraft). All considering no early JDOW -and thus less income for the USA.

I think it is impossible for Germany to ward off both the Russians AND adequately defend its kriegsmarine.

• '14 Customizer

Sealion

• '14 Customizer

Sometimes you have to do a Sealion especially if they are molting ;)

Warning #1 less than 10 inf and 3 fighters in capital.

Warning #2  Italy takes Gibraltar and has a strong fleet.
    Italy positioned planes in Germany to bomb the airbase if needed.

• '14 Customizer

The key map is number 4 where you see the German tanks make it back to Germany/Norway. Taking the transports out with planes to prevent this is the obvious solution but it may be more difficult if Italy has a navy. If you lose Gib on round 1 and Italy has a navy then you may not be able to defend seazone 102. Remember if the carriers take hits the planes sink. If USA Builds bombers instead then you make sure they cant land by taking Eire and consolidate the navy with the German navy.

There is obviously mistakes by both sides in this game but I’m just using it as an example. The best way to defeat Sealion is to avoid it all together by defending London and Gib on round 1.

Suggested Topics

Axis & Allies Boardgaming Custom Painted Miniatures

Users

Topics

1.7m