The biggest mistake of the Global 1940 board

• The biggest abominations would be the huge infantry stack. Now if you did that in a real war, not only would it be a pain to supply since all roads would be overloaded, but it would be a real fat target sittin duck just begging to be bombed

• One unit represent one army corps.

• What I meant to say, was that, and lets use the Eastern Front as an example, Germany has a huge stack in one territory, and Russia has a huge stack in another territory, and all other territories are vacated. Now this is not what it looked like in the real war, but the A&A game mechanic force rational players to use this gamey style of play, at least if they don’t want to loose fast. Enogh ranting for today

• Customizer

Hey Narvik, I understand what you are getting at. Another thing that kind of gets to me is that these territories represent a lot of ground, some with many towns and villages in them, yet we can move through them incredibly fast. Take Italy for example: in the 1940 board, you fight 2 battles and you have captured ALL of Italy. The Allies invaded Italy in 1943 and had to slog their way up the boot until March 1945, which I believe is when the last of the German armies in the very northern part of Italy finally surrendered to the Allies and when the Italian Partisans captured and executed Mussolini.
    Or how about Germany? In our game, it’s 1 battle and done. In reality it took the Allies on both sides from December 1944 to May 1945 to conquer all of that single country and that was with their main thrusts involved for the US/UK and USSR.

• @knp7765:

Or how about Germany? In our game, it’s 1 battle and done. In reality it took the Allies on both sides from December 1944 to May 1945 to conquer all of that single country and that was with their main thrusts involved for the US/UK and USSR.

That was because the Americans dragged it out because of the good Food here in Germany.
    Name one american who can resist Bratwurst and  Sauerkraut or Schweinsbraten??

Oh and 'mericans love Castles so there you go, they got a lot of them here.
    (Not to mention the good beer,though)

• '17 '16 '15

@aequitas:

That was because the Americans dragged it out because of the good Food here in Germany.

They like it so much they’re still there. : )

• True!

• '14 Customizer

Bulgaria should touch Turkey and Crete should play a more strategic role in the game.  Perhaps something like this…

• That doesn’t really make Crete any more strategic; since it doesn’t affect air/sea unit distance between SZ97 & SZ98 it’s just an excuse to make the SZ border a + instead of SZ96 & SZ99 connecting.

If you made Crete an original British (to allow capture of it to disrupt their NO) along with this change to make it more contestable, I feel it would definitely play a bigger role.

• Customizer

@aequitas:

@knp7765:

Well, I do like a good Bratwurst. Don’t care for Sauerkraut (although I loved it as a kid) and I don’t even know what a Schweinsbraten is.
    I must admit, castles are pretty cool too. And who doesn’t love a good cold beer (especially if it’s served up by a lovely blond fraulein)?

Suggested Topics

Axis & Allies Boardgaming Custom Painted Miniatures

Users

Topics

1.7m