Axis & Allies G39/G36 Players in Alberta, Canada. (Edmonton or Grande Prairie)

• Hello!

I’m posting this as kinda a beacon for any players interested in playing Axis & Allies 1939 Global game in the Edmonton, Strathcona, St. Albert, or even Grande Prairie or Calgary.
    I previously found a few players just by random searches of key words and I hope that this post will attract any interested parties in the area. The area being pretty much the whole of Alberta. :wink:

I’m an avid player, I love history, and have sunk a fortune into this hobby as a collector. I hav also yet to get tired of this game after a half dozen, week long games.
    I have an “expanded” edition of at least a couple thousand dollars worth in extra peices from HBG and would love to find anyone interested in having a go at it.

Contact me through here I think. I believe my email address is posted as well.
    Cheers!

• Liaison TripleA '11 '10

Jim010 is out that way.

A few others I’m sure.

• @Gargantua:

Jim010 is out that way.

A few others I’m sure.

Thanks, I’ve scouted out most of the Albertans on the forums and I’ve chucked them all an email. We will see what springs up.
    I’m only just moving to Edmonton so I’m sure I’ll find local groups.

Canuck12 also has a bunch of friends out that way who are “experienced beginners”.  You may want to PM him as well.

• @Gargantua:

Canuck12 also has a bunch of friends out that way who are “experienced beginners”.  You may want to PM him as well.

Awesome! Thanks man! Your the best!

• I know CanadianRebel aka Cameron lives in southern Alberta.  He is an experienced player on Triple A.  I can try to get a hold of him to see if he is interested.

• Hey there
    I have only played the original 80s game, and have not played in awhile, but would like to check out the newer and other versions. If you wouldn’t mind giving me a rules update to this version I’m sure I will have some free time to play this winter.

• @Electrobiker86:

Hey there
    I have only played the original 80s game, and have not played in awhile, but would like to check out the newer and other versions. If you wouldn’t mind giving me a rules update to this version I’m sure I will have some free time to play this winter.

Hello Electrobiker.
    Sure sure! Sorry for the late response.
    Whereabouts do you call your home? I’d be interested at getting together at some point and playing a game.

• I’m not sure if you’ve managed to get anything going through here, but I’m up in the Grande Prairie area.  It’s so hard to organize anything up here because of the population and distance.  My regular group isn’t all that active either…

I think I can say that I have a very good idea how to play.  It would be nice to get more experience with new people.  I own Global 1939 and G40 and have quite a collection myself going.  I haven’t played Global 1939 in just over 2 years now though; it’s like I’m eyeing up this bottle of water while I’m very thirsty but I can’t drink it :(.

I think we need an A&A convention in Western Canada to get people together.  I wonder if Alberta would be a good central point for that?  The only other one in Canada is in Oshawa, Ontario, which very impractical for most of us Westerners.  I think that’s the FMG one.  The ones in the U.S. aren’t even worth mentioning haha.

• Hello again Ben-Dion!

Nope I haven’t made anything work through here yet, but hope springs eternal!
    They did have an A&A meetup at a Grande Prairie board game cafe (sponsored by a bank) in which it was a full day of fun and I took down a few names, but I should have been more proactive in getting things together. :-)

The same board game cafe intends to host another A&A series of games in March or April I think. They had 20 odd people show up last time, experienced players as well. So there are some hidden in the woodwork. Apparently physically signing up a week before hand was better then my online FB attending message, as the big global boards where already booked and I was left with the 1940 small map.  :-(

My dream is to play the HBG’s massive 1936 map with +4 players, all the figures from the HBG’s Amerika game, and go to the bitter end. :-p
    But I’m willing to play anything! I enjoy it and it’s heaps of fun.

As it stands, I can get three gaurenteed players and a location 40km out of Grande Prairie is arranged, so if you’re in the area we can totally include you in a game and make it four players.

I’m currently in Africa, but I get back to Edmonton in a week, and then a week later I’ll be in GP, so hit me up! I think you still have my email.

Cheers!

• Oh, wow!  I didn’t recognize that it was you!  lol

I know exactly what event you mentioned.  It was at Card’s Board Game Café back in early December, and I would have shown up but I needed to work.  I showed the owner my 1939 board and gave him my contact info, and he told me that he would contact me before the next event to have my board setup.  I guess we’ll see what happens.  I’ve met a few people there as well.  Imagine if it was at a place like the Shaw Center on Jasper ave though; that would be incredible.

I’d like to get 1936 as well, but a few things are stopping me atm.  The most significant reason is because the loonie is just way too low right now (USD$0.6890).  A little ridiculous, eh?  The other big reason is the polish of the game.  What are the odds of a Revised Edition of the Global War “Second Edition” 1936 map coming out?  It happened with the first GW1939 map that came out in 2011.  The revised one came out the next year, for good reason, but believe me, I’m ready to pull the trigger and push that “buy” button haha.

I still have your email address, and I do have a friend or two to bring with me as well (maybe).  I’ll try you in two weeks and see what happens. :)

• @Ben_D:

Oh, wow!  I didn’t recognize that it was you!  lol

I know exactly what event you mentioned.  It was at Card’s Board Game Café back in early December, and I would have shown up but I needed to work.  I showed the owner my 1939 board and gave him my contact info, and told he me that he would contact me before the next event to have my board setup.  I guess we’ll see what happens.  I’ve met a few people there as well.  Imagine if it was at a place like the Shaw Center on Jasper ave though; that would be incredible.

I’d like to get 1936 as well, but a few things are stopping me atm.  The most significant reason is because the loonie is just way too low right now (USD$0.6890).  A little ridiculous, eh?  The other big reason is the polish of the game.  What are the odds of a Revised Edition of the Global War “Second Edition” 1936 map coming out?  It happened with the first GW1939 map that came out in 2011.  The revised one came out the next year, for good reason, but believe me, I’m ready to pull the trigger and push that “buy” button haha.

I still have your email address, and I do have a friend or two to bring with me as well (maybe).  I’ll try you in two weeks and see what happens. :)

Yeah that’s the one! The Card’s Board Game Cafe, excellent venue. But man! The Shaw Center would be amazing! I’m sure there would be at least a couple hundred players would show up! I was surprised Grande Prairie and area had 20 odd peeps, Edmonton would pull in people from all over the province  :-o

The loonie is really suffering man, everything is, the whole economy is messing up our gaming hehe. Well, don’t buy the 1936G just yet, you can have a look (or we can have a game) on my board and then you can see how you feel about it. I’m pretty impressed with the map, I think overall it spent a lot of time being polished and tweaked and I cannot think of any issues I have with the map layout itself. But if it happened for 1939G…I’d have to buy the bloody thing again :-P
    The rules on the other hand need a bit more clarification and work. 2.0 rules is due out in a couple months though, and house rules and gentleman’s agreements suffice for the time being.

Anyways, I’m excited to try things out and have a go!
    Cheers for now sir!

• '19 '17 '16

Hello, Jinx:

I’m from E-town, and I’m always looking for players. I’m more interested in 1942 2nd ed or any of the 1940 2nd editions (i.e. Europe, Pacific, or Global).

Feel free to PM me.

• @StuckTojo:

Hello, Jinx:

I’m from E-town, and I’m always looking for players. I’m more interested in 1942 2nd ed or any of the 1940 2nd editions (i.e. Europe, Pacific, or Global).

Feel free to PM me.

Hey StuckTojo,
    A game sounds awesome! Although I favor the bigger games, I realize we have to compromise to figure something out.
    I’m actually between jobs now so I’m not certain if I’ll live in Edmonton or Grande Prairie area. But if I’m in GP I generally go to E-town often enough to play a game sometime. I’ll hit you up as soon as I figure something out.
    Cheers Bro!

• '19 '17 '16

Hey StuckTojo,
    A game sounds awesome! Although I favor the bigger games, I realize we have to compromise to figure something out.
    I’m actually between jobs now so I’m not certain if I’ll live in Edmonton or Grande Prairie area. But if I’m in GP I generally go to E-town often enough to play a game sometime. I’ll hit you up as soon as I figure something out.
    Cheers Bro!

Great to hear, Jinx:

Hope to hear back from you soon.

• Hello!
    Just bumping this up.

Active and strong group (6\8+ players) in Grande Prairie, Alberta.
    Axis & Allies 1940.
    Global War 1936 with many expansions. Finished last two games in under 12 hours.

• We have a few also who play Global War 1936/39 here in Central NJ if you ever come around here by chance! we have all the expansions but talk about which we wanna incorporate into each game to keep things fresh!

• Hehe! Awesome! Sounds like fun  :-)

• i’m down in calgary but i’d definitely be interested.

Following up with the E-Town crew.

Throwing out a gauntlet.

If you guys make a plan and come out to Chilliwack/Vancouver for a weekend; I can get us two full days of gaming HBG’s 36 or 39; setup in its full glory.

It can be your E-Town team vs Canucks; I can get free accommodations/ground-transportation/food arranged; flying to Abbotsford airport should be the only expense, just a short flight!

Suggested Topics

Axis & Allies Boardgaming Custom Painted Miniatures

Users

Topics

1.7m