• This has happened twice in my recent game, so i decided i needed official confirmation.  Here is the most recent battle scenario

Germ attacks multinational force in SZ 109
    6 Subs, 1 Dest, 1 Fighter

UK Defends with
    3 Dest, 1 Car loaded with 2 American fighters.  There are also 2 empty transports.

German gets 5 hits and the UK chooses to lose it’s Destroyers and Carrier.  This leaves just the fighters to defend.  Here is my question.  Do the germans have to continue to attack to get the transports?  It will most likely mean losing their destroyer/cruiser/fighter or maybe two of them if very unlucky.  Or since there are no surface ships left to defend, the transports are gone.

The prior example was opposite.  UK sent a loaded transport with a force against a guarded sea zone it wanted to make an amphibious assault on.  The Japanese navy had a carrier with 2 fighters on it.  The carrier was lost and so was the UK attacking naval ships.  What happens to the UK loaded transport if there are just Japanese planes left to defend in the final round of combat?

• In your first scenario, the American planes participate in the defense of the sea zone and must be destroyed before the transports are automatically lost. However, since the Germans have subs in the battle, and since subs can’t hit planes, any hits by the subs must be taken on the transports.
    If Germany only had subs left, and the UK force only had planes and transports left, then the transports would be automatically destroyed and the battle would end. But since Germany has units that can hit the planes and vice versa, the battle doesn’t end automatically. Basically, as long as there are units that can hit each other, the battle doesn’t end automatically.

For your second scenario, if the UK, at the end of a full round of combat, has only transports left, the UK may retreat those transports if there is a valid sea zone to retreat to. The transports may not unload.

Edit: if the UK player decides not to retreat, then Japan would roll its planes and the UK would take any hits on its transports. The UK would have the option to retreat after every round of battle where it has any surviving transports.

• @ChocolatePancake:

In your first scenario, the American planes participate in the defense of the sea zone and must be destroyed before the transports are automatically lost. However, since the Germans have subs in the battle, and since subs can’t hit planes, any hits by the subs must be taken on the transports.
    If Germany only had subs left, and the UK force only had planes and transports left, then the transports would be automatically destroyed and the battle would end. But since Germany has units that can hit the planes and vice versa, the battle doesn’t end automatically. Basically, as long as there are units that can hit each other, the battle doesn’t end automatically.

For your second scenario, if the UK, at the end of a full round of combat, has only transports left, the UK may retreat those transports if there is a valid sea zone to retreat to. The transports may not unload.

Edit: if the UK player decides not to retreat, then Japan would roll its planes and the UK would take any hits on its transports. The UK would have the option to retreat after every round of battle where it has any surviving transports.

The UK is defending, defenders can’t retreat.

• Not in his second example, which was what I  was referring to there. In the second example, the UK is attempting an amphibious assault against Japan.

• I worded it a bit funny, in the 2nd example the UK was attacking.  Thank you for the clarifications!

Suggested Topics

Axis & Allies Boardgaming Custom Painted Miniatures

Users

Topics

1.7m