• I was browsing through Wikipedia and I came across two intriguing WWII-related items that I’d never heard about.

The first one…

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/If_Day

…is an article about a February 1942 war bond publicity stunt that involved a simulated Nazi conquest and occupation of Winnipeg, Manitoba.  It was a clever idea, and it makes for rather creepy reading.

The second one…

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Latin_Bloc_(proposed_alliance)

…refers to a suggestion (discussed on and off from 1927 to 1941) to have Italy, France, Spain, and Portugal form some sort of alliance.  The idea never went anywhere, but it might be of interest to A&A house rule designers who play around with alternate-history scenarios.

• '22 '20 '19 '18 '17 '16

The first link is a neat novelty, but I actually think there’d be better odds of a hostile American invasion than a German one, if things turned out badly for the Allies.

The second link is very interesting, especially since it plays into classical rivalries, especially France & Spain vs. England & Germany. I imagine the Portuguese would have held out due to their long standing bond with England.

• Liaison TripleA '11 '10

This was an awesome read - Thanks Marc.

I have forwarded this to others, and spread the word that the gov should try an “if” day for Shariah law, or ISIS.  As “Bringing it to the doorstep” would definitely open the eyes of some who think such things should just be ignored.

• @Gargantua:

Glad you liked it.  The story reminded me a bit of a 1942 British film I have on DVD: “Went the Day Well?”, a movie about Nazi paratroopers in British uniforms who infiltrate an unsuspecting village in England (with the help of a local traitor) for a secret mission, then put it under military occupation when their cover is blown.  It’s astonishingly frank and uncompromising in depicting the way war inflicts brutalities on innocent civilians and on the way these civilians respond with equal brutality to defend themselves.  The scene that always sticks in my mind is the one in which a sweet little old lady talks pleasantly to a German soldier until he’s lulled into carelessness, then throws a jarful of pepper into his eyes and kills him with a meat cleaver while he’s writing in agony.

• @CWO:

@Gargantua:

Glad you liked it.  The story reminded me a bit of a 1942 British film I have on DVD: “Went the Day Well?”, a movie about Nazi paratroopers in British uniforms who infiltrate an unsuspecting village in England (with the help of a local traitor) for a secret mission, then put it under military occupation when their cover is blown.  It’s astonishingly frank and uncompromising in depicting the way war inflicts brutalities on innocent civilians and on the way these civilians respond with equal brutality to defend themselves.  The scene that always sticks in my mind is the one in which a sweet little old lady talks pleasantly to a German soldier until he’s lulled into carelessness, then throws a jarful of pepper into his eyes and kills him with a meat cleaver while he’s writing in agony.

It’s a great firm isn’t it Marc … and still very “fresh” fit its age.

Suggested Topics

Axis & Allies Boardgaming Custom Painted Miniatures

Users

Topics

1.7m