Adding Italy & China ('42 Mod Idea)

• Just curious if anyone has ever tried to add Italy and China to this edition as a “modification” or to sort of replicate Anniversary Edition.  I haven’t put the maps side by side, but it seems like maybe it could be done if you have the pieces from Global 40.  Give Italy Markers to Lybia, Balkans, and Italy.  Maybe add the National Objectives.  Has anyone ever tried anything similar?

• 2024 '22 '21 '19 '15 '14

Could be cool. If you have one of 1940 boards you could use the French for the Chinese, or any different colored sculpts from older boards, just to make the forces a bit easier to distinguish from the Americans.

The Italians should probably get a bonus just for holding Italy. A capital with 3 ipcs production would force them to buy more powerful units, instead of just holding to the infantry spam. Southern Europe or Egypt might provide a secondary production option, if they’re willing to invest in a factory. Or I suppose if you wanted to get more starting unit’s and production to this new Power, you could award control of Bulgaria/Romania and Finland with all their forces to the Italians, and just call them the Minor Axis powers in Europe. That would certainly change up the Eastern front quite a bit.

Where to locate these powers in the turn order though? I think first could be interesting, and fairly easy to adapt.
    China, Italy, Russia, Germany, UK, Japan, USA

Because then the Chinese turn folds back into the American turn, and you can maintain an alternating turn order (basically 6 postions, where the 6th position just becomes the first.) For PBEM this would be 3 exchanges.

Another option would be to fold Italy into Germany’s turn. China, Russia, Germany, Italy, UK, Japan USA. This would take you back to a basically 5 position game. PBEM 2 exchanges.

I usually play these game live, so I lean towards an alternating order, with Italy being the 3rd Axis weak link, in the same way Russia the weak link on the Allied side. I like China first, because it would allow the flying tiger to stay alive.

If you wanted to include National Objectives, probably keep it very simple. 1 Objective for each nation.

Then try to preserve the exact same unit set up as OOB 1942.2 (just with ownership changes in the case of Italy, and China) and see if it could be balanced by sides, via just a single objective for each Nation. That would be ideal I think, for the ease of implementation. Just let the National Objectives be guided by the balance needs, and create a simple bonus for each that puts them on a roughly even footing.

• I have Anniversary Ed and Italy is not very fun to play. In 1942 Italy is very weak. In 1940 Ed Italy have a chance to conquest the Med… not in 1942…

Suggested Topics

Axis & Allies Boardgaming Custom Painted Miniatures

Users

Topics

1.7m