Uncle Sam's House Rules for A&A 1940 2ndEd

• Hello all,

Attached is an Excel file with my house rules for A&A Europe, Pacific, and Global 1940, 2nd Edition. I’ve got them integrated into the respective games’ rule sets as well but this file gets more to the point for those who are already familiar with the original 2nd edition rules. The major changes are the way casualties are selected, the number, types, and special abilities of units, defender retreat/evasion rules, scorched earth rules, “post-war” winner rules, research and development options and mechanics, and special rules for the UK, Italy, and China.

Thanks for reading and let me know if you have questions!
    A&A 1940 2nd Ed House Rules.zip

• This is very impressive! I’ve only just started reading it but it seems incredibly well thought out and executed.

• @Procas:

This is very impressive! I’ve only just started reading it but it seems incredibly well thought out and executed.

Thanks! I tried to add some historically-driven elements and make some convention changes that would be fun and add to “realism” while still being able to use most of the base rules and the boards themselves. We haven’t uncovered any unforeseen problems during actual play and it’s been fun so far. We’re playing Europe on Friday so we’ll see how it goes.

• Sponsor

I just printed this and look forward to reading it, something that caught my eye is defending sea units evading combat… that sounds interesting.

• '17 '16

I agree, this is quite impressive work.
    A lot of time has been invested in it.

I like the graphics of your charts.

Why is there two mobilization zone charts?

I don’t understand the use of target chart?
    Does it mean you have different attack and defense value against different units?
    For example, Light tank gets a 5 against Strategic bomber, what does it mean?

Do you give us the licence to use your Excel file?
    If someone want to customize different combat units and values, it provides a pretty interesting scaffolding.

• @Baron:

I agree, this is quite impressive work.
    A lot of time has been invested in it.

I like the graphics of your charts.

Why is there two mobilization zone charts?

I don’t understand the use of target chart?
    Does it mean you have different attack and defense value against different units?
    For example, Light tank gets a 5 against Strategic bomber, what does it mean?

Do you give us the licence to use your Excel file?
    If someone want to customize different combat units and values, it provides a pretty interesting scaffolding.

Thanks!

There are two mobilization charts for printing purposes. Since they’re fairly small, I could fit two onto one page and then have a card to cover the original zone on both the Europe and Pacific maps. They’re exactly the same as one another. Sorry for not clarifying that in the original post.

The target chart is to facilitate the “hit scorer-chosen casualties” rule. For the light tank/strategic bomber example you raised, with the light tank as the “firing unit” and the strategic bomber as the “enemy unit,” the 5 means that the light tank must hit any eligible target with a lower target chart number (which is all eligible land units, fighters, and tac bombers for a light tank - see the target chart) before it can hit the strategic bomber. Note that all combat aircraft have a target chart number of 1 for any enemy unit which means that hits scored by combat aircraft can be applied to any enemy unit the one doing the shooting wishes (unless the enemy force has covering aircraft - see “air cover” rule - which keeps enemy high value targets from being pummeled when the enemy force dedicates aircraft to covering them).

The “hit scorer-chosen casualties” rule and its target chart are used because I didn’t like that low value units could be used as a shield no matter what was being used to attack them (certain units should be more effective at hitting targeted enemy units) and a significantly superior force had little to no risk at all for its high value units it sent into battle (they should be at less risk because they’re exposed to less fire from the inferior enemy force but there should be a possibility to be hit if the enemy force contains similar units, albeit fewer). With this alternate convention, an inferior force with say, a fighter, at least has a chance of taking down an enemy fighter, tac, strategic bomber, or other high-value unit with it. In such a scenario, that lone fighter would probably get only one chance at doing so though, since the flip side of the target chart implication is that those enemy aircraft he’s trying to chip at also can go straight after him rather than having to chew through any infantry or other lower-value units present first.

Regarding the Excel file, you all are certainly welcome to use it! I’ve also integrated the rules and charts into electronic versions of the original 2nd edition rulebooks but I’ve not posted those because I’m not sure if that’s OK/legal to do outside of my own private use.  :? If it is OK, I’d be happy to post those as well.

• @UncleSam0330:

Regarding the Excel file, you all are certainly welcome to use it! I’ve also integrated the rules and charts into electronic versions of the original 2nd edition rulebooks but I’ve not posted those because I’m not sure if that’s OK/legal to do outside of my own private use.  :? If it is OK, I’d be happy to post those as well.

I’m pretty sure it’s illegal, but OK. I mean that it’s illegal in the sense that writing Transformers fanfiction is illegal: It probably violates a copyright law, but Hasbro is never going to do anything to you because you aren’t making money off of it and they won’t waste the time and effort to sue you.

Suggested Topics

Axis & Allies Boardgaming Custom Painted Miniatures

Users

Topics

1.7m