Using Reconnaissance Planes to find ground troops positions.

• Has anybody discussed using Reconnaissance Planes to find ground troops? I do use them to find naval fleets.
    Each country would start out with a certain amount of planes. You also can buy them at C 5.  A 0  D 1  M 4
    Beginning of turn you would be able to use the plane to find troops in as many as territories the plane can fly. With an air base you would get the extra move. 1 plane could fly over 4 territories and land in its own or friendly territory.
    You would roll 1 die for each territory the plane flew over to find troops positions. A roll of 4 or less tells you you have found position of troops. A roll of 5 or 6 tells you you didn’t find troops and your attacking pieces get a - 1 on attack for first round of combat only.
    You didn’t find troops right away and your hits missed at first.
    AA guns do get a shot at plane.

Could have it where art, tanks, and planes ( they can’t find neither right away ) get the -1 on attack first round only do to accuracy.

I know the game is long enough, but what’s another 5 mins.
    This is just a thought and I know Patten didn’t attack sometimes until he knew where troops were and after plane strikes.

• @SS:

Has anybody discussed using Renaissance Planes to find ground troops?

I think what you’re referring to are called “reconnaissance” planes.  Personally I prefer the Neoclassical style, but tha’s just a matter of taste.  :-)

• Thanks CWO. I tried to find correct spelling.
    If you don’t like this idea, you could just make it a Tech for the 5 countries and all art, tanks, any special pieces, and maybe planes get a +1 on attack first round of combat only.

• It’s an interesting idea, but I guess what I’m wondering is this.  A&A is an open game system in which the composition and location of all the forces on the board is visible to all players at all times.  If it had hidden (or decoy dummy) units, I could see the usefulness of doing recon work – but in an open system, I’m having trouble understanding just what these recon planes are meant to be discovering.

• The planes are doing the same thing as looking for naval fleet positions. You can’t attack any naval ships unless you find them.
    The idea doesn’t have anything to do with hidding any pieces on board.
    Just using planes to find troop positions to get a more accurate shot at them.

Probably better off using as a Tech and get the +1 on attack for better accuracy.

• @SS:

Just using planes to find troop positions to get a more accurate shot at them.
    Probably better off using as a Tech and get the +1 on attack for better accuracy.

Ah, I see.  Yes, that sounds like a valid function.  I think that technically these would be called spotter planes rather than reconnaissance planes.  Spotter planes assist artillery (both on land and at sea) in finding specific targets and in hitting targets by reporting the fall of the shots to allow the gunners to correct their aim.

• Thanks for that info. Always love your posts.
    If you use as a Tech, you can lower die roll for plane to find like 2 or less if its to strong.
    If you use as normal piece in game, then you lower plane roll also to 2 or less.

• Nevers think about that but I prefer the retreat rule.

• @SS:

Has anybody discussed using Reconnaissance Planes to find ground troops? I do use them to find naval fleets.
    Each country would start out with a certain amount of planes. You also can buy them at C 5.  A 0  D 1  M 4
    Beginning of turn you would be able to use the plane to find troops in as many as territories the plane can fly. With an air base you would get the extra move. 1 plane could fly over 4 territories and land in its own or friendly territory.
    You would roll 1 die for each territory the plane flew over to find troops positions. A roll of 4 or less tells you you have found position of troops. A roll of 5 or 6 tells you you didn’t find troops and your attacking pieces get a - 1 on attack for first round of combat only.
    You didn’t find troops right away and your hits missed at first.
    AA guns do get a shot at plane.

Could have it where art, tanks, and planes ( they can’t find neither right away ) get the -1 on attack first round only do to accuracy.

I know the game is long enough, but what’s another 5 mins.
    This is just a thought and I know Patten didn’t attack sometimes until he knew where troops were and after plane strikes.

Could getting Radar eliminate the need for recon planes?

@CWO:

It’s an interesting idea, but I guess what I’m wondering is this.  A&A is an open game system in which the composition and location of all the forces on the board is visible to all players at all times.  If it had hidden (or decoy dummy) units, I could see the usefulness of doing recon work – but in an open system, I’m having trouble understanding just what these recon planes are meant to be discovering.

You could combine it with the HR about hidden forces using scrabble pieces.

Suggested Topics

Axis & Allies Boardgaming Custom Painted Miniatures

Users

Topics

1.7m