[Fieldmarshallgames stands for planes]

• Hi, FMG is selling metal stand for planes and i would like to know if some of you have bought these accesssories, the quality and how do you place the minis on them (hot glue ? do i have to drill a  litttle hole ?)

Thanks

• '21 '18 '17 '15

Have made my own version but these look really nice, the link might help you.
    http://www.axisandallies.org/forums/index.php?topic=33971.0

• Thnanks. I think i’m going to drill holes, put the base in the plane end seal with a bit of hot glue.

• @BananeDC:

Thnanks. I think i’m going to drill holes, put the base in the plane end seal with a bit of hot glue.

Drilling a small hole for the stand to fit into and then using hot glue or super glue works very well.
    The stands are quite nice and the base on them is heavy enough to prevent (most) accidental tip overs too, which is a good thing at this scale!

• Sponsor

@IWillNeverGrowUp:

@BananeDC:

Thnanks. I think i’m going to drill holes, put the base in the plane end seal with a bit of hot glue.

Drilling a small hole for the stand to fit into and then using hot glue or super glue works very well.
    The stands are quite nice and the base on them is heavy enough to prevent (most) accidental tip overs too, which is a good thing at this scale!

With the glue idea, am I to assume that the planes and stands are meant to be permanently attached? so no more putting planes in the piece tray?

• @Young:

With the glue idea, am I to assume that the planes and stands are meant to be permanently attached? so no more putting planes in the piece tray?

I’m using zip plasctic bags. The only annoying thing is when you  have a friendly plane as cargo (it’s not supposed to fly during your turn), but it happens so rarely….

• @IWillNeverGrowUp:

Are you sure it works with superglue ? It would be much easier than with hot glue i think.

• @BananeDC:

@IWillNeverGrowUp:

Are you sure it works with superglue ? It would be much easier than with hot glue i think.

Absolutely.  I’ve used CA Glues to bond plastics to metals many times over the past several years of playing Miniatures games (40K, Bolt Action, Flames of War, etc) and it works well.
    A dab of thick gel superglue I find best.

@Young:

@IWillNeverGrowUp:

@BananeDC:

Yeah, if you use glue, that’s it you’re done.

Another suggestion I would use is to drill a hole JUST small enough for the stand to fit into and friction fit the plane on.  That way you can remove it whenever you want.
    Over time the hole will get bigger through wear, but at that point you can just glue it on (or not use it on the stand).

• Sponsor

Although I understand that the brass idea was important for the weight of the stand, I’ve heard some say that it’s unfortunate they weren’t made of metal considering all the customization work being done with magnetizing units and chips.

• '14 Customizer

@Young:

Although I understand that the brass idea was important for the weight of the stand, I’ve heard some say that it’s unfortunate they weren’t made of metal considering all the customization work being done with magnetizing units and chips.

Very good point!  I guess you could glue small 3mm magnets on the top or a piece of ferrous metal.  That way you could detach them from the base for carriers or storage.  You also would not need to buy as many.

• @Young:

Understandable, however to be honest at this scale, magnets are a royal pain to work with imo. I’d rather just slip them on/off with a small pilot hole. They won’t be going anywhere if you do. I can see it at larger scale miniature games but not for A&A pieces.

If you DO want to use magnets though, it’s easy enough to  superglue a magnet to the top of the stand and the bottom of the plane.
    Just use the smallest round magnets you can find.

Something like this size could probably work and are the smallest I’ve found tbh (but they are soooo tiny to work with; 0.1 inch = 2.5 mm) :
    http://magnetsales.thomasnet.com/item/disc-magnets/small-neodymium-disc-magnets/30dne0606-ni?

• '17 '15

I just use blue tack. It’s easy, no mess can easily remove stands or plane models to return to a tray.

• Customizer

Guys,

@cyanight:

@Young:

Very good point!  I guess you could glue small 3mm magnets on the top or a piece of ferrous metal.  That way you could detach them from the base for carriers or storage.  You also would not need to buy as many.

––I bought 3mm super-magnets to be applied on the underside of ALL aircraft, as well as the FMG a/c stands. It Works well and looks GREAT!

Tall Paul

• Sponsor

Awesome, sounds like a good idea for magnets, the blue tack solution is interesting as well…

• With magnets and blue tack, you will still have a longer setup before playing, and remove them after. This could be a pain.

• '17 '15

I went to the local dollar store and bought some plastic storage trays that fit all my pieces. The blue tack planes and stands all fit in one of the trays, so i don’t waste time breaking them down. The odd one i have to reattach, but the freeing of space on the board is worth any hassle. I think in time i will invest in the magnets for the stands and planes, would be nice to have every plane with magnets so the stands will be more universal.

Suggested Topics

Axis & Allies Boardgaming Custom Painted Miniatures

Users

Topics

1.7m