• '21 '18 '17 '15

Google is sometimes my friend, i just type in whichever particular model i am working with and do an image search, sometimes you will get lots of pics ,other times it isn’t quite what you want, but there is usually a lot of info there to sort through. Sometimes you will get pics of other units, more ideas for future references.  :-D

• '18 '17 '16 '15 Customizer

@dangermouse650:

Google is sometimes my friend, i just type in whichever particular model i am working with and do an image search, sometimes you will get lots of pics ,other times it isn’t quite what you want, but there is usually a lot of info there to sort through. Sometimes you will get pics of other units, more ideas for future references.  :-D

I see. I pretty much do the same thing. I guess some of those schemes, I’ve never seen before. Thanks for the info. :-)

• '21 '18 '17 '15

John, good link to lots of aircraft schemes
    http://wp.scn.ru/en/cat, i had forgotten about this one and just found it again in my latest search.  I did have another good site which had tanks and ships but it no longer loads…… :?

• Customizer

DM and JB,

I just wanted to say I love your paint jobs. It has taken me months to get my painting rig up and running (still working on paint). I’ve switched to using an air brush for a lot of my paint work as well as stepping away from A&A and branching into different WWII themed and other games, be they board game or table-top miniatures games.

There’s a lot of research, trial, and error in painting at the scale of A&A pieces. At this level any feat is great., but to do it, and actually make them look good is praise in and of itself. To do it without professionals and minimal equipment or finance is heroic. Spitfire38 was a huge inspiration to me showing how “craft store” acrylics could be used to do phenomenal paint jobs on A&A game pieces. This helped me with my own techniques.

I’m a bit bashful to show my own work, and my previous work is not that great. However the pure therapeutic pleasure of painting minis and leaving the big world behind and escaping to your own private universe of painting minis is beyond priceless.

Cheers Guys,

toblerone77.

• '21 '18 '17 '15

@toblerone77:

DM and JB,

I just wanted to say I love your paint jobs. It has taken me months to get my painting rig up and running (still working on paint). I’ve switched to using an air brush for a lot of my paint work as well as stepping away from A&A and branching into different WWII themed and other games, be they board game or table-top miniatures games.

There’s a lot of research, trial, and error in painting at the scale of A&A pieces. At this level any feat is great., but to do it, and actually make them look good is praise in and of itself. To do it without professionals and minimal equipment or finance is heroic. Spitfire38 was a huge inspiration to me showing how “craft store” acrylics could be used to do phenomenal paint jobs on A&A game pieces. This helped me with my own techniques.

I’m a bit bashful to show my own work, and my previous work is not that great. However the pure therapeutic pleasure of painting minis and leaving the big world behind and escaping to your own private universe of painting minis is beyond priceless.

Cheers Guys,

toblerone77.

Agreed, therapy it is, well said.  Don’t be shy about showing your work, some of mine is rough, but if you stand back, looks so much better. Just like the real size stuff up close, it’s not perfect.
      I also have the airbrush setup, i find it good for doing primers and base colours, also good for doing larger models, as in 1/72 and 1/48.

@toblerone77:

DM and JB,

Cheers Guys,

toblerone77.

Tolerone, you saw how rough my first planes were, but many have encouraged me to continue and as a result I have improved, with all of you guys help.

Don’t be bashful about showing us, because we all have to start somewhere. Most people are going to be understanding. I wouldn’t worry about what other people think, because the main thing is that you have fun and enjoy it.

The more people participate, the better we all become, so bring it on buddy, LOL! :-D

@dangermouse650:

John, good link to lots of aircraft schemes
    http://wp.scn.ru/en/cat, i had forgotten about this one and just found it again in my latest search.  I did have another good site which had tanks and ships but it no longer loads…… :?

Thanks so much DM, for this reference. It always help to have as many resources as possible. :-D

• '14 Customizer

Wow, DM those are fantastic. I’m going to have to pickup that Italian set. I’m so bored with nothing to paint and I’m tired of waiting on HBG sets.  I also agree with what you said about toblerone77 showing his work. We all learn from each other and our work becomes better. I have repainted my stuff so many times. I know some of my work isn’t the greatest either. I think every artist is their worst critic.

• '21 '18 '17 '15

@cyanight:

Wow, DM those are fantastic. I’m going to have to pickup that Italian set. I’m so bored with nothing to paint and I’m tired of waiting on HBG sets.  I also agree with what you said about toblerone77 showing his work. We all learn from each other and our work becomes better. I have repainted my stuff so many times. I know some of my work isn’t the greatest either. I think every artist is their worst critic.

Agreed with that, if someone was paying me to do this then 80% wouldn’t pass my quality control :-D

• '21 '18 '17 '15

last of the italian planes……

Excellent job on these DM. You have a great Italian Air force now! :-D

• '21 '18 '17 '15

HBG carriers…

HBG battleships, not quite finished

RAF coming soon…… :-)

@dangermouse650:

HBG carriers…

HBG battleships, not quite finished

RAF coming soon…… :-)

Wow DM, LOL, your a regular war machine churning out these pieces as fast as you are. Great job on these! :-D

• '21 '18 '17 '15

When i received the british supplement set i was amazed at how big the stirling was, it is huge. I didn’t like that the wings were closed in on the “stringbag” so i took to them with the dremel. Maybe not real smooth and i did break one but anyway. All have been painted but i have not put any squadron numbers on as yet.
    The “stringbags” first……

• '21 '18 '17 '15

These are really cool looking. Excellent job on these! :-D

• '21 '18 '17 '15

Fairey Barracudas……

• wow DM I really liked how you drummeled out all that ugly blocky plastic on the stringbag’s.  Looks soo much better now that is some customization work! I agree with you as well the HBG Stirling bomber was massive! you try using that piece on a spring 1942 board and there is no way it is too massive next too the Lancaster or Halifax.  But a great piece for some research pieces in global for a heavy bomber. I ended up painting panel lines on mine just cause the piece was so big I wanted to add somemore detail.  I wish that the king George battleships were a little bigger as well! Enjoying your pieces and historical accuracy on your aircraft! keep posting pics!

• '21 '18 '17 '15

Thank you John and jwo for the comments, i am enjoying my work, though i think i better slow down a bit and concentrate more on quality rather than quantity, my impatience is getting the better of me lately and it is showing.
    Some Hurricanes + extras.

• '21 '18 '17 '15

The massive stirlings……

I do have to finish the brit airforce off with squadron markings, will come back to it sometime, next on the to do list is the Japanese air from the sup and exp sets.

Suggested Topics

Axis & Allies Boardgaming Custom Painted Miniatures

Users

Topics

1.7m