Incorporation of pieces into other games

• Hey guys,

So earlier today I was playing a game of 1914 against myself and I noticed a few things. One is that there are 8 factions in both 1914 and global. Second is that many of the color schemes are the same. Earlier I have used pieces from 1941 in global and 1942 to make new unit like armored transports, torpedo bombers( useless when I got 1940) and armored cruisers. I was also thinking that you could use pieces from 1914 in global, but not sure How  yet. Any thoughts? I was thinking about a mine sweeper for a house rule where naval yards allow mine fields, but I’d love to hear from u guys. Please feel free to add or fix anything I have. Thanks.

Spencer

• Ah, yes, one of my favourite types of subjects: inter-game sculpt compatibility.  I don’t have a comprehensive answer to your specific question, since preferences will vary greatly from one person to the next regarding what role in game x can be assigned to piece y from game z (example: I think the old-style Panther tanks from the older A&A games would make neat German Jagdpanther tank destroyers in the newer games), but here are a few thoughts.

As shown by the pictures I posted in this thread…

http://www.axisandallies.org/forums/index.php?topic=30440.0

…the main problem with using the 1914 sculpts in Global is that some of them are a great colour match but others are not.  The way I summarized it was:

“The new Americans come closest to the old Milton Bradley Americans, but are a little more green.  The new Germans come closest to the old Milton Bradley Germans, but are a little darker.  The new Russians almost exactly match the old Italians.  The new French are a little darker than than old French.  The new Italians almost exactly match the old Japanese.  The new British, plus the Ottomans and Austro-Hungarians, don’t come very close to matching any of the existing shades – even in the case of the lime-green British sculpts, which aren’t the same shade as either the pale green British pieces from Revised or the light green Chinese pieces.”

(By the way, on that last point, note that there are 9 factions in Global rather than 8.  Or, to split the difference, let’s say 8-and-a-half, since the 9th faction, China, has no equipment pieces.)

So anyway, the basic problem is that if you use 1914 sculpts to create new unit types in Global 1940, only a few countries will have them…unless you overlook the colour incompatibilities.  On the other hand, using sculpts from 1941 creates the same problem (since only 5 colours are available), so that’s probably a situation in which you’ve been treating the 1941 sculpts as specialized units that are limited to a few countries (a method which also applies to the German bunkers from D-Day and the German and American trucks from Bulge).

Some more possibilities for the 1914 sculpts:

• Use the blue ones to represent the Free French
    • Use some of the others to represent neutrals
    • Use some of the others to represent an Axis Minors block
    • Use some of the others to represent the minor Allied nations (as a group)
    • Use some of the others to represent the Netherlands (in the Dutch East Indies

• Thank you very much. As far as what u have said, I don’t really mind if the colors aren’t totally compatible, but I like you’re ideas about the axis minor block and same with the allies. My question is how do u play them? Do that hav separate turns, can they produce units , etc etc. but thanks for the comment and I appreciate the ideas.

• @SJS063:

Thank you very much. As far as what u have said, I don’t really mind if the colors aren’t totally compatible, but I like you’re ideas about the axis minor block and same with the allies. My question is how do u play them? Do that hav separate turns, can they produce units , etc etc. but thanks for the comment and I appreciate the ideas.

I’ve never really worked out (or actually used) any specific rules about the various ideas I listed.  The question of which sculpts can be used in what ways, and of which national sets of sculpts they’re compatible with, is something that’s mainly interested me from the point of view of organizing my sculpt collection (which is quite large by now) rather than from a playing angle.  The house rules section of this board, however, has threads on all sorts of playing ideas that could be useful to you, so what you could do is click through the title indexes (currently 75 pages long) and look for thread titles that sound promising.  There are also useful ideas found in other sections of the board.  For example, there was a discussion over here…

http://www.axisandallies.org/forums/index.php?topic=33777.0

…about giving the Netherlands distinct forces in the DEI.

• And just to follow up, there was some discussion of the Axis Minors block concept over here:

http://www.axisandallies.org/forums/index.php?topic=35119.0

Suggested Topics

Axis & Allies Boardgaming Custom Painted Miniatures

Users

Topics

1.7m